New Posts New Posts RSS Feed: Back to back racing
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Back to back racing

 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 3456>
Poll Question: How many is too many?
Poll Choice Votes Poll Statistics
3 [8.57%]
14 [40.00%]
18 [51.43%]
You can not vote in this poll

Author
Late starter View Drop Down
Far too distracted from work
Far too distracted from work


Joined: 24 Feb 07
Online Status: Offline
Posts: 449
Post Options Post Options   Quote Late starter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Sep 10 at 9:30pm
Originally posted by JimC

Originally posted by Sailing4Life

If your not fit enough to do four races then your not really going to be in contention anyway are you?

Isn't the Championship more about the 90% of the fleet who don't have a realistic chance of winning than the 10% who do?

Would have thought that those fleets that choose to do 4 races back to back will soon find they've only got the 10% sailing. The other 90% will have voted with their feet.
Back to Top
bert View Drop Down
Really should get out more
Really should get out more
Avatar

Joined: 23 Apr 05
Location: norwich usually
Online Status: Offline
Posts: 584
Post Options Post Options   Quote bert Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Sep 10 at 12:30am
"Would have thought that those fleets that choose to do 4 races back to back will soon find they've only got the 10% sailing. The other 90% will have voted with their feet."
 
That could be a very telling point being made there.
 
Being part of the 90% I personal feel NO shame in saying enough so I wouldn`t have done the fourth race if I was "done in" but thinking about it,GRF has a valid point because the weather was pretty harsh & the 4th race would have been a possible safety issue.
Because the points system - in this case -  was double points - to be in contention you had to do the 4th race or you were out   thats it , chances gone , job done.
 
I wasn`t there but the 4th race was possibly an little bit much for most competor`s some of which wouldn`t have done it if it wasn`t the nationals. 
 
My view with hindsight
Phantom 1181
AC-227 IC 304
blaze / halo 586


Back to Top
alstorer View Drop Down
Really should get out more
Really should get out more
Avatar

Joined: 02 Aug 07
Location: Cambridge
Online Status: Offline
Posts: 2899
Post Options Post Options   Quote alstorer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Sep 10 at 6:53am
As an aside- from what I saw of the points system for the RS100s it appeared to be posterior about face with regards double points- if the "normal" races are double and the "important" one single, the "important" race is effectively half as important in scoring terms- far less of a penalty to carry a bad score for that than for a "normal" race.
-_
Al
Back to Top
Contender 541 View Drop Down
Really should get out more
Really should get out more
Avatar

Joined: 05 Dec 05
Location: Burton on Trent
Online Status: Offline
Posts: 1402
Post Options Post Options   Quote Contender 541 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Sep 10 at 7:51am
Originally posted by JimC

Originally posted by Sailing4Life

If your not fit enough to do four races then your not really going to be in contention anyway are you?

Isn't the Championship more about the 90% of the fleet who don't have a realistic chance of winning than the 10% who do?
Totally agree - as one of the 90%, I sailed at the nats to not get the wooden spoon, have a laugh and catch up with / make friends
When you find a big kettle of crazy it's probably best not to stir it - Pointy Haired Boss

Crew on 505 8780

Back to Top
Lukepiewalker View Drop Down
Really should get out more
Really should get out more
Avatar

Joined: 24 May 06
Location: United Kingdom
Online Status: Offline
Posts: 1335
Post Options Post Options   Quote Lukepiewalker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Sep 10 at 8:30am
I think we have to consider that in many cases classes are going from week long nationals's to a shorter event, but still feel they should squeeze in the same number of races. I suppose the important thing is to make sure your class association is aware of your view, don't assume someone else will tell them.
Ex-Finn GBR533 "Pie Hard"
Ex-National 12 3253 "Seawitch"
Ex-National 12 2961 "Curved Air"
Ex-Mirror 59096 "Voodoo Chile"
Back to Top
G.R.F. View Drop Down
Really should get out more
Really should get out more
Avatar

Joined: 10 Aug 08
Location: United Kingdom/Hythe
Online Status: Offline
Posts: 4027
Post Options Post Options   Quote G.R.F. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Sep 10 at 8:59am
Originally posted by Contender 541

Originally posted by JimC

 
Isn't the Championship more about the 90% of the fleet who don't have a realistic chance of winning than the 10% who do?
Totally agree - as one of the 90%, I sailed at the nats to not get the wooden spoon, have a laugh and catch up with / make friends


That is the exact sentiment of a nationals, to see how well (or badly) you can do, have a laugh and make new friends amongst like minded folk from differing geographic regions.

Yes it should be tougher than an 'Open' but seriously, sailing to me was always supposed to be part cranial part physical, as much about the mind as the muscle.

Personally I find it a tad ludicrous the bulling it up as a macho 'extreme sport' ffs if you want extreme sports, go do them, there are plenty of em and they're a lot tougher and life threatening than sport regatta sailing. You aint any more or less a 'man' because of your position in a sailing race ffs, it aint about that, never was, never will be.

Ironically they (the powers that be at our club) were having the exact same debate on Sunday regarding the Man of Kent, only in this instance they want to do it all back to back because the PRO has to leave early.

Anyway it's a discussion that should be aired and glad it has, silly world is going to hell in a handbasket, 'four races back to back' whatever next, they'll be sending us 40 miles round some God Forsaken Island without a stop for lunch.


Edited by G.R.F. - 14 Sep 10 at 9:00am
Back to Top
alstorer View Drop Down
Really should get out more
Really should get out more
Avatar

Joined: 02 Aug 07
Location: Cambridge
Online Status: Offline
Posts: 2899
Post Options Post Options   Quote alstorer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Sep 10 at 9:29am
Pfft! There's certainly a place for the endurace races. I think lukepiewalker has hit upon something- though it really should be irrelvant to a new class. Shorter nationals are understandable- but perhaps they do need to involve concessions in the number of races.
-_
Al
Back to Top
Late starter View Drop Down
Far too distracted from work
Far too distracted from work


Joined: 24 Feb 07
Online Status: Offline
Posts: 449
Post Options Post Options   Quote Late starter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Sep 10 at 9:49am
Personally what really bugs me is lack of information in the SI's and other pre event publicity. I did a nats a few years ago with my then 7 year old daughter, in one of the older, slower, family type doublehanders. The publicity for the event was around the family friendly venue & plenty of non- sailing activities etc, but didn't say the RO intended to keep us afloat for 6 or 7 hours at a time!   We did day one, but canned the rest of the weeks sailing as 7 hours a day was way too much for my young crew. (And me as well really..)   We had a nice weeks holiday actually so not the end of the world, but I ain't been back to the nats since. 
Back to Top
Medway Maniac View Drop Down
Really should get out more
Really should get out more
Avatar

Joined: 13 May 05
Location: United Kingdom
Online Status: Offline
Posts: 2787
Post Options Post Options   Quote Medway Maniac Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Sep 10 at 10:17am
Originally posted by Late starter

I did a nats a few years ago with my then 7 year old daughter, in one of the older, slower, family type doublehanders.
 
Name and shame. Which class? It'll serve both as a warning to people like yourself and an encouragement to join the class for the machos!
Back to Top
alstorer View Drop Down
Really should get out more
Really should get out more
Avatar

Joined: 02 Aug 07
Location: Cambridge
Online Status: Offline
Posts: 2899
Post Options Post Options   Quote alstorer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Sep 10 at 11:23am
If it was a few years ago they may have changed though- unfair to name and shame unless they're still at it?
-_
Al
Back to Top
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 3456>

Forum Jump Forum Permissions View Drop Down

Bulletin Board Software by Web Wiz Forums® version 9.665y
Copyright ©2001-2010 Web Wiz
Change your personal settings, or read our privacy policy