14 [40.00%]
18 [51.43%]
You can not vote in this poll

Author
blueboy View Drop Down
Really should get out more

Online Status: Offline
Post Options Post Options   Quote blueboy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Back to back racing
    Posted: 09 Sep 10 at 9:28am
Originally posted by MerlinMags

I can barely manage one big race without needing a wee, let alone 2.

Good grief. Not really a problem for the male of the species, is it? Delicacy forbids discussion of how females solve the issue but they do.
Medway Maniac View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Medway Maniac Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Sep 10 at 9:51am
I think it depends where you are sailing, what you are sailing and over how many days you're sailing.

On a pond I can happily do three back-to-back for a couple of days. Heck, last year with a slick race team and 30-minute races we fitted in four b-to-b quite comfortably (I was surprised, mind). But I wouldn't want that format for more than a weekend, and on waters that required more sailing pre and post-start, or which, like Medway,  benefit from longer courses, two-a-day, with a break between for lunch is optimal

But since I've had my best ever regatta, sailing in Poole Week as part of the Wayfarer Nats, I've come to really appreciate a whole week of one long race per day. Plenty of time for chewing the cud over coffee with other competitors before racing, getting the forecast and boat fully sorted; a nice long race round the harbour, that actually goes somewhere and doesn't just whizz round in circles on the same postage stamp sized course; then back in for a long shower and relaxed socializing and no rushing to pack the boat away.

From what i've heard, Falmouth Week also used to be perfect in that regard - one race taking you all over the harbour every day, but last year we had two races b-b on sausage-triangles and it was relatively characterless. Except for the mid-week 'Harbour Race' - a very satisfying marathon - more like this please. [Not been yet, but Abersoch Week is 'one biggun-a-day', and is very popular given its remote location...]
blueboy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote blueboy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Sep 10 at 9:55am
Originally posted by Medway Maniac

From what i've heard, Falmouth Week also used to be perfect in that regard - one race taking you all over the harbour every day

Yes, Federation Week in Chichester Harbour is like that and so is Cowes Week, especially for White Group (smaller keelboats). That's fine for those events but at a championship I'd expect more sailing.

Edited by blueboy - 09 Sep 10 at 9:59am
timnoyce View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote timnoyce Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Sep 10 at 10:25am
At the Cherub Nationals we have a very good setup. Firstly, we have no races starting before around 1 or 2pm. This allows for any sea breeze to build, and also allows for people to enjoy the night before without having to worry about missing the first start. Also, for any familys at the event, it gives half a day when there isn't sailing so they can have a bit of a holiday.

As far as racing goes, this year we had 3 races back to back, generally lasting around 45mins for the leader, then grand prix style finish to keep the tail enders grouped up. So 3 or 4 races can be dispatched in around 3-4 hours. Off the water for 4-5pm which still leaves time for any blasting about after racing, boat bimbling or hitting the pub early.

Post racing we try and organise food in one place to keep everyone together, and then obviously everyone hits the pub for at least one, but many stay on till last orders.

We've had the same arrangement for as long as I can remember and as far as I know, there are no complaints. I don't see why the sailing part of an event has to be a long and drawn out affair!

For the record, we did an event at Kielder a few years ago which was 4 races back to back, and the final race of the day was a round the lake long distance race! That was a proper days sailing!! Clap
BEARFOOT DESIGN
Cherub 2648 - Comfortably Numb
timnoyce View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote timnoyce Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Sep 10 at 10:27am
ps. Surely the poll should read "how many races is enough?" as have the people who have ticked 3 decided that 3 is too many or 3 is about right?!

I've ticked 4 as being about right, but 5 would defs be too many!
BEARFOOT DESIGN
Cherub 2648 - Comfortably Numb
G.R.F. View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote G.R.F. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Sep 10 at 10:45am
Deliberately set up as a 'weighted' poll to reinforce 'my opinion' which of course is the only opinion that counts as far as I'm concerned, sorry old boy you've just reinforced it. 4 races back to back is just inhuman, like trying to run Olympic Racing using those silly 49er boats.

Any race team that tries to do it to us should be shipped to Siberia to organise back to back oppi racing for ukrainian gulag youf squads (in winter)

Gentlemen should be made to sail no more than two races back to back before lunch.

And Sambuca drinking girly boys will struggle to cope with that if they've had to stay up past their bedtime.

Edited by G.R.F. - 09 Sep 10 at 10:53am
MerlinMags View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Quote MerlinMags Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Sep 10 at 10:50am
Originally posted by blueboy

I can barely manage one big race without needing a wee, let alone 2.
Good grief. Not really a problem for the male of the species, is it? Delicacy forbids discussion of how females solve the issue but they do.

Male or female, if you manage to struggle out of a drysuit in a F4+ and waves, you're then faced with a crowd of boats milling around the start area; not great for privacy.
English Dave View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote English Dave Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Sep 10 at 11:18am
Very much depends on your sailing area as well.

When I race from Royal Cork or Galway Bay, it's about 50 minutes sail to the race area. And this in fast catamarans, add another 20 minutes if you are in a dinghy. It's not feasible to just go back to shore in between races. Over a two day regatta we try and do 6 races. That will be 3 or possibly 4 races on the Saturday and the remainder on the Sunday. And I load the boat up with spare shackles and bits of line incase of running repair. The Committee boat will take all the sandwiches and water and rescue boats will dish these out between races.

At Blessington, Co Wicklow, it's different. Non tidal, launch of the beach and into the sailing area within 10 minutes. The beach means we can launch many boats at the same time. (Cork is two max). So we come back to shore after two races or sometimes even one at the discretion of the PRO. Races are usally 50mins for the winners.

Managing your bladder is always tricky. Too much fluid and you get caught short, too little and your performance drops off massively. Personally I always wear a wetsuit at regattas just in case. Ironically, I rarely get caught short in a wetsuit. Probably psychological.

At Swords last weekend (near Malahide if you are interested) we sailed 9 races in 2 days. All in batches of 3.

Edited by English Dave - 09 Sep 10 at 11:19am
English Dave
Ballyholme Yacht Club

(You'd think I'd be better at it by now)

Hurricane 5.9 SX
RS700
blueboy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote blueboy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Sep 10 at 11:18am

Male or female, if you manage to struggle out of a drysuit in a F4+ and waves, you're then faced with a crowd of boats milling around the start area; not great for privacy.

I don't use a drysuit in the summer so that's one problem solved. Peeling off a wetsuit isn't too hard.

As for privacy, it's a big ocean. Just sail 100 metres downwind of the start area. Maybe inland that's more of an issue.

Edited by blueboy - 09 Sep 10 at 11:20am
IanW View Drop Down
Posting king
Posting king

Post Options Post Options   Quote IanW Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Sep 10 at 12:03pm
As somone on the race team for 505's on thing we noted having a gate start makes turning races around really fast this is key for running B to B races.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 6>