FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Camcorder

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Ralph T View Drop Down

Online Status: Offline
Post Options Post Options   Quote Ralph T Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Camcorder
    Posted: 15 May 05 at 1:37pm

I am looking to buy a camcorder to record finishes from a committee boat.

It needs to be waterproofed (presumably in a case), able to record my voice calling the sail numbers as boats cross the finish line and have a timer so that we can identify times for General Handicaps. Also, it would be good if it did not 'weigh a ton' as I could be holding it for some 15-20 mins (on some sort of frame to sit on my shoulder?)

Another consideration is the method of recording and playback. Manual recording systems are never perfect and sometimes can cause unacceptable delays in posting the race results on the noticeboard (anyone at the ET last week will know what I mean ).

I would like the option to be able to send the recorded media back to the clubhouse (by RIB as via mobile/internet would be too expensive) so that someone can sit in a nice warm room and extract the results from the recorded media, whilst we get on with starting another race. This means that picture quality, freeze frame, playback a few frames and time display is a major consideration.

Suggestions on which manufacturer, model, specification to choose from would be gratefully appreciated.

Stefan Lloyd View Drop Down
Really should get out more
Really should get out more

Post Options Post Options   Quote Stefan Lloyd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 May 05 at 3:03pm
Sony do a waterproof box for their camcorders which works well. The microphone still works. I used one to produce a class coaching video from a RIB.
Barty View Drop Down
Far too distracted from work
Far too distracted from work

Post Options Post Options   Quote Barty Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 May 05 at 7:23pm

Agree with Stefan.  We have a sony camcorder and case for RYAS squad training.  The case fits most of the newer compact digital cameras although viewing can be quite hard when its sunny.  I have also tried the Aquapak case for the same camera but found that it was so much bigger than the camera it was difficult to operate.

The Sony system is sorted and most of the cameras have USB streaming so if you use Windows XP you don't need additional software to view the recording.  Still can be taken etc so times can be recorded visually aswell.

Post Reply Post Reply