FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

PY data

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: PY data
    Posted: 02 Aug 10 at 12:24pm

It has been explained to me that it is not worth some clubs sending in race returns to the RYA because there are no large fleets within the club.........something to do with how the RYA calculate the results.

Is this still the case with the new PYS system?   Can the RYA use data from a race with a completely eclectic selection of boats?

silverwood View Drop Down

Online Status: Offline
Post Options Post Options   Quote silverwood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Aug 10 at 1:07pm
I would think the more eclectic the better..... diverse boats across diverse wind conditions is the only way to get anything like a meaningful average. It is interesting to note that the N12 handicap is slowly dropping as the boats performance increases, so something must be working. Be nice to get 95% of clubs returning rather than 25% though!
JimC View Drop Down
Really should get out more

Post Options Post Options   Quote JimC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Aug 10 at 1:16pm
I don't recall ever hearing that message *from the RYA*... I may not have been listening of course. I do know they have various methods for dealing with numbers from clubs with few boats. The results from a club with only one boat of class xxx may not have much influence compared with those from a club where class xxx has a fleet of 50 boats, but combined results from 100 clubs with 1 boat of class xxx will do...

Edited by JimC
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Aug 10 at 2:52pm

Originally posted by JimC

The results from a club with only one boat of class xxx may not have much influence compared with those from a club where class xxx has a fleet of 50 boats, but combined results from 100 clubs with 1 boat of class xxx will do...

Ta, Pretty much sums up what I thought, I have argued to send in returns in the past but my lack of knowledege on what the RYA do with the data has hindered my argumemnt.

I suspect the "results from a club with only one boat of class xxx may not have much influence" notion is quite widely held, there's certainly quite a few experienced sailors at our club that believe it.

ellistine View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote ellistine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Aug 10 at 3:09pm
Originally posted by GK.LaserII

I suspect the "results from a club with only one boat of
class xxx may not have much influence" notion is quite
widely held, there's certainly quite a few experienced
sailors at our club that believe it.

...and probably with quite favorable handicaps
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Aug 10 at 3:27pm
Originally posted by ellistine

Originally posted by GK.LaserII

I suspect the "results from a club with only one boat of
class xxx may not have much influence" notion is quite
widely held, there's certainly quite a few experienced
sailors at our club that believe it.

...and probably with quite favorable handicaps

What are you suggesting

Post Reply Post Reply