FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Buying a laser

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>
Author
Stefan Lloyd View Drop Down
Really should get out more

Online Status: Offline
Post Options Post Options   Quote Stefan Lloyd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 May 05 at 7:02am

Originally posted by NickA

Some people get a new sail twice a year

I know someone who, when he was in the Laser national ranking top-10, was getting a new sail every few weeks. He was fortunate enough to have a sponsor to pay for them.

Whirlpaul View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Whirlpaul Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 May 05 at 9:47am
Problem i found is the deck and the hull parting company at the seems, although this probally isn't likely to happen on anything newer than my 88000 boat.
stuarthop View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote stuarthop Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 May 05 at 9:54am
you don't need a new sail every couple of weeks when i was racing i bought 1 new sail a season and only used it for the qualifiers and nationals and used the previous years sail for all other more minor racing

Post Options Post Options   Quote Stefan Lloyd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 May 05 at 10:55am

Originally posted by stuarthop

you don't need a new sail every couple of weeks when i was racing i bought 1 new sail a season and only used it for the qualifiers and nationals and used the previous years sail for all other more minor racing

So how did you do in the nationals? The guy I'm talking about was in the top half-dozen in the Laser national rankings for a while. I'm not being argumentative: I'm genuinely interested in whether spending on sails at the level he was doing makes a difference at the front of a nationals-level fleet. He certainly thought it was neccesary.

nathan View Drop Down
Posting king
Posting king

Post Options Post Options   Quote nathan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 May 05 at 2:39pm
So, what about Steve Cockerill winning the radial nationals 2 years ago in a 157---boat, when new boats were around the 173000 mark. If the helms good enough..

Post Options Post Options   Quote Stefan Lloyd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 May 05 at 3:33pm

Steve's a great guy. Any idea how old the sail was? I also have a feeling Radial sails last longer than the standard ones, which really are an awful ancient design.

sailor.jon View Drop Down
Far too distracted from work
Far too distracted from work

Post Options Post Options   Quote sailor.jon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 May 05 at 6:45pm

at club level the age of baot shouldn't make too much difference,

my radial (182618) has all the XD do-dars its so much better then the old rig set up, especially be as light n small as i am, i can de-power the rig fine, with my old boat (144679) i had the old riggin, n it was not a touch on this one for ease of handeling and de-powering  

Paul k View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Paul k Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 May 05 at 9:27pm

Thanks for all the help, we now have a laser, only been sailed three times with full and radial rigs and all the gear (but not xd).  It has a relativly old sail number 160,000ish but due to it not being used is ideal, just need the XD kit now

Paul

NickA View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote NickA Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 May 05 at 9:52pm

You guys who win laser races in old boats and ragged sails are spoiling it for the rest of us.

Come on now, leave all us old blokes in tatty boats some excuse for loosing!!!!

Of course it's the kit, nothing at all to do with too many glasses of wine on Friday night or a complete lack of training, it's the sail number (129???) that's the problem.

Post Options Post Options   Quote Stefan Lloyd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 May 05 at 7:05am
That's the trouble with single-handers: no crew (or helm) to blame.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>