FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Asymmetric Spinnaker Help!

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author
simonrh View Drop Down
Posting king
Posting king

Online Status: Offline
Post Options Post Options   Quote simonrh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Asymmetric Spinnaker Help!
    Posted: 20 May 10 at 4:18pm
Oli, Is it you I end up chatting to on Wednesday afternoons up there while messing with my Vortex? Just bought the 5K? Next time you are up have a look at the vortex kite sheets as they hang out from under the cover. It's not pretty but just dragged the core out in the middle of the sheet, stitched through the cover and put a thumb knot in it. Kite is then attached with a short Dynnema larks head loop. Hasn't failed yet.

Pimp my MPS website is good for info.
Vortex Asymmetric 1064
Dart 18 7118
Smartkat stunt sailor extraordinaire
scrimbo View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote scrimbo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 May 10 at 4:41pm

Originally posted by marke

Following what Al said - find the centre of the sheet; pull a bit of the core out and splice a thin piece of spectra (or similar) about 150mm long into the core.  Push the core back into the outer to make it look neat.  Attach the clew using the thin spectra - the sheet then has a smooth surface to go around the forestay on drops and gybes.

Holmenkohl really works well on B14 kites - it doesn't recover the fresh crackly kite feel, but it does make the cloth shed water and very slippy around the forestay.  I easily covered two kites with a single £30 bottle.  I was very sceptical when I first tried it, but it is easy to apply, really works and lasts a long time - in fact my favourite kite is the oldest one I have - made good with holmenkohl.  Expensive - but good value

Many thanks! This what i like...a bit of boat pimping  Im thinking that the Holmenkohl may well be worth it, as it may give some life to our old old spinaker (with lots lots of patches) and save us the £700 of a new kite. Who would have thought sails for such a 'mature' class could be so expensive?

Originally posted by simonrh

Oli, Is it you I end up chatting to on Wednesday afternoons up there while messing with my Vortex? Just bought the 5K? Next time you are up have a look at the vortex kite sheets as they hang out from under the cover. It's not pretty but just dragged the core out in the middle of the sheet, stitched through the cover and put a thumb knot in it. Kite is then attached with a short Dynnema larks head loop. Hasn't failed yet.

Pimp my MPS website is good for info.

Certainly wasnt me.... may well have been my helm Mark though. Ill find out if it was him and if so still take a glance at the sheets.  Does it not worry you putting a thumb not in it as this then promotes it getting caught up?

Cheers

Oli Scrimshaw
RS600             49er
   645               59
Grafham Water SC
simonrh View Drop Down
Posting king
Posting king

Post Options Post Options   Quote simonrh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 May 10 at 4:51pm
Must have too many 5ks now at Grafham then. The guy I was chatting has just bought his a couple of weeks back? never mind can never have too many boats.

Looks a bit like this:
http://www.mustoskiff.com/downloads/pimp-my-kite-sheet.pdf

But rather than splice the narrow loop into the middle of the sheet as shown, I have just milked hte core through and put a little stopper in the end then stitched and whipped it to keep it from sliding around.

Vortex is probably easier and safer as it has a chute and sheets are pretty much kept tight most of the time.

Edited by simonrh
Vortex Asymmetric 1064
Dart 18 7118
Smartkat stunt sailor extraordinaire
Flick-Flock View Drop Down
Posting king
Posting king

Post Options Post Options   Quote Flick-Flock Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 May 10 at 8:59pm
We just have the larks head on our 5k and its never caused us any problems (the problems are usually helm or crew related :D)

We've also put some fabsil or some kind of waterproofer on the kite at the start of the season, and the kite does feel a bit nicer, especially after a swim. Another think we did this year thats really helped is lube up everything the pole touches on the way out and its made launching the pole much easier.

Im sure someone who can stay drier in a 5k will have some better advice though.
Swimming after Laser 5000 5069
Rockhopper View Drop Down
Really should get out more
Really should get out more

Post Options Post Options   Quote Rockhopper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 May 10 at 10:59am
With all the fives i have had 5241,5272,5311 all we did was have the inner core pulled out and stiched making a very nice loop however on the last we a seperate piece made that was thread through the middle then stiched.If are having trouble getting it round the forestay it might be also cause you are not running deep enough to blow the kite round making it easier on the crew
Retired now after 35 seasons in a row and time for a rest.
2004 national champ Laser5000
2007,2010,National Champ Rs Vareo
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12