FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

WANTED: Hints and tips for yacht sailing

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author
timnoyce View Drop Down
Really should get out more

Online Status: Offline
Post Options Post Options   Quote timnoyce Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: WANTED: Hints and tips for yacht sailing
    Posted: 08 Jun 10 at 9:01am
We have completed the first Wednesday evening series and we were the first Yacht over the series in a mix of conditions, mainly lighter airs though. On our start there are some dayboats but they seem to do better on handicap than us in most winds.

On our first outing we dipped the pole and used twin sheets but I found it a bit of a pain. I am sure it would be quick if I knew the best way of doing it, but for now it is quicker for me to end to end using single sheets.

It is really enjoyable though, really nice chaps at Dartmouth and the banter in the bar after racing is always good. We have a relatively new team of different ages and experiences but we seem to do ok. I normally find myself on bow for the hoists and drops and then back in the cockpit to trim the kite during the legs, but we are certainly getting faster!

Colin... unfortunately it is a bit of a drive for me to get to Scotland from South Devon. Where are you based? We have got our Cherub Nationals at Largo Bay in August and I will be there for 2 weeks. So if you are anywhere near there I'd be happy to meet up for a sail / beer.
BEARFOOT DESIGN
Cherub 2648 - Comfortably Numb
Cmac View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Cmac Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Jun 10 at 1:49pm

I'm based on the west coast at Gourock. That's about 45 mins from Glasgow.  Not sure where Largo Bay is - Are you sure it's not Largs? They have a very active dinghy club. if it is Largs then you are just half an hour from Gourock. You'd be welcome to come and sail with us if it fits your schedule.

Re the previous post - yep the tweakers idea is a good one. I'll need to try it. It's just that the Scot in me doesn't part with money easily so tweakers would be extra expense - that would whittle down my whisky fund!

Good to hear your UFO has won the series. There's life in the old girl yet! I am definately not going to win our series. We got off to a poor start to the season - 4th/7th/4th/ 7th/2nd. So we are out again tonight and need a first to add to the results.

All the best for now.

CM

timnoyce View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote timnoyce Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Jun 10 at 2:11pm
Cheers, It's definitely Largo Bay not Largs. It is on the north shore of the Forth, kind of opposite Edinburgh. It is excellent. Just checked the map and it seems a bit of a drive, nice idea in principle though.

The boat seems very quick, I really like the design. Not really sure of the history of the boat I sail, it has a few creature comforts but certainly not to the same level as some of the boats we sail against!

We don't have tweakers but I know what you mean about the guard rails (not sure of their official name) do seem to take a bit of a beating.
BEARFOOT DESIGN
Cherub 2648 - Comfortably Numb
Stefan Lloyd View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Stefan Lloyd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Jun 10 at 6:23am
Originally posted by Cmac

Re the previous post - yep the tweakers idea is a good one. I'll need to try it. It's just that the Scot in me doesn't part with money easily so tweakers would be extra expense - that would whittle down my whisky fund!

Cheaper than line and hardware for separate guys and cheaper than replacing a broken stanchion! Also, tweaker half on for the sheet when running in a blow is a top tip to reduce the rock and roll factor.
damp_freddie View Drop Down
Far too distracted from work

Post Options Post Options   Quote damp_freddie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Jun 10 at 10:10pm
more commonly known as barber haulers or sometimes sheet policemen.

Double sheets/guys is over kill on a UFO27. End to end is better and do-able without barber haulers but better with them : the new guy is easer to grad while the spinnakers shoulders are kept stable.

Is East Coast Sailing Week still on the go?

Doing a competent crew course through your club or at the National Sailing Centre at Largs is a good way to base line all your skill set and meet new friends and potential crew members!

Have a good season!

Post Options Post Options   Quote Stefan Lloyd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Jun 10 at 5:10am
Originally posted by damp_freddie

more commonly known as barber haulers

Nope. Barber haulers move sheets inboard or outboard. Tweakers move the spinnaker guy downwards.

or sometimes sheet policemen.

If you say so. I've been sailing 25 years and never heard that one before. I have occasionally heard tweakers referred to as "spinnaker stranglers".

Edited by Stefan Lloyd

Post Options Post Options   Quote damp_freddie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Jun 10 at 8:36pm
Originally posted by Stefan Lloyd

Originally posted by damp_freddie

more commonly known as barber haulers

Nope. Barber haulers move sheets inboard or outboard. Tweakers move the spinnaker guy downwards.

or sometimes sheet policemen.

If you say so. I've been sailing 25 years and never heard that one before. I have occasionally heard tweakers referred to as "spinnaker stranglers".

Barber Haulers
: very commonly used for spinnaker "tweaking lines" , also on jibs of course.

Hits: spinnaker AND barber haulers 2 690. barber haulers AND jib 807

Post Options Post Options   Quote Stefan Lloyd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Jun 10 at 5:04am
If you want to use Wikipedia as an authority:

Barber haulers, which adjust the spinnaker/jib sheeting angle by pulling the sheet/sail inboard.

We are discussing pulling downwards, not inboard, which was my point.

Wikipedia is evidently wrong in this definition anyway, since barber-haulers also move sheet outboard.

I have shocking news. Unfortunately not everything you read on the web is true.

Post Options Post Options   Quote damp_freddie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Jun 10 at 8:58am
Unless a spinnaker is very small, the hauler will change the sheeting angel downwards and draw the centre line angle inwards: on a jib actually it usually does the same if it is at all lower than the clew- just more sideways.  Wiki is just a link and not a bad source since Barber invented them for inhauling.

Some people do call them barber haulers, some tweaker/ing lines and some twinning lines. One boat I have sailed on called them policemen.

Anyway, I reckon  since the writer is sailing from Largs that they would do very well to get on the competent crew RYA course at the national there : good training and no doubt meet a couple of new friends and prospective crew.

There after they can call the spinnaker sheet angle control lines what ever the instructor says

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12