FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Fireball?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
aj3001 View Drop Down

Online Status: Offline
Post Options Post Options   Quote aj3001 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Fireball?
    Posted: 23 Apr 05 at 10:08am
I am 16 and looking to spend up to £1000 on a dinghy, I reguarly race so I need a boat that is quick however I am only 10 Stone so it needs to be one that isnt so heavy I cannot recover it during a capsize. I have been looking at a fireball, I am aware that I will not be able to sail this boat single handed (which I normally would) in high winds, what over boats can you recomend?
My local lakes where I would prefere to sale have a 14ft restriction on boat size, nothing over that length permitted however if it is for a boat I would really like, for example a fireball I would sail elsewhere.
Stefan Lloyd View Drop Down
Really should get out more

Post Options Post Options   Quote Stefan Lloyd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Apr 05 at 10:56am
If you would normally be planning to sail single-handed, and you want a boat to race, you should be looking at a boat which is designed to be a single-hander. Laser Radial or Europe would come to mind (plenty of cheap Europes for sale at the moment, I'm told. Or have I misunderstood something?
KnightMare View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote KnightMare Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Apr 05 at 7:01pm
Im going to have to agree, If you are looking for a boat you can sail single handed on a regular basis and still be able to race, get yourself a single handed boat, but if you are looking for a 2person boat that can still be compatative one up (for those days where the crew is being less than comited) that is a different matter, and the question as to if a fire ball fits into this category will have to be answered by someone else.. (que a more informative post )
Wave Rider View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Wave Rider Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Apr 05 at 9:56pm

Yeah the fireball can be sailed out on the wire by a 10 stone person singly until it gets about force 4 and by then you should only have the mian anyway but you will probably need to bear away and sheet out a fair bit when it gets windy.

You can get a good fireball for £1000 tho! 

-[Franko]-
Chew Valley Lake Sailing Club
           RS600 933
aj3001 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote aj3001 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Apr 05 at 10:01pm
At the moment I race using a Comet Duo, sailing single handed with main and jib and I can win series easy in it but I want something more fun and faster, something that has been designed to race.
The Europe looks nice and I will look at it, nothing against the Laser series but I just wouldn't go for one, they are too common for me I would prefere something less common

Post Options Post Options   Quote Stefan Lloyd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Apr 05 at 7:15am
If you want something a bit unusual, are 10 stone and don't expect to get a lot heavier in the next couple of years, how about an Int Moth?
redback View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote redback Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Apr 05 at 9:31pm
There's a Europe going at my club, carbon mast, £500.  You could do worse - they are a proper little thorough-bred much nicer than a Laser.

Post Options Post Options   Quote Stefan Lloyd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Apr 05 at 6:48am

Originally posted by redback

There's a Europe going at my club, carbon mast, £500.  You could do worse - they are a proper little thorough-bred much nicer than a Laser.

I'd second that - lovely responsive boats.

I was talking to someone recently who has traded in her (now almost worthless) Europe for a Laser Radial, following the ISAFs decision. She is not a happy bunny about the change. She also pointed out that the Europe can be optimised for quite a wide weight range while the Radial cannot be.

49erGBR735HSC View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote 49erGBR735HSC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Apr 05 at 1:10pm

What about the Laser 2 for a double hander, nice boat to sail and maybe a little less demanding than a fireball, the layoout is a lot simpler and I think she has less sail and can almost keep up with a "Ball". The Europe idea seems really good though.

Dennis Watson 49er GBR735
Helensburgh S.C
Boat Insurance from Noble Marine

jpbuzz591 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote jpbuzz591 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 May 05 at 12:47pm

I myself would recommend a buzz (for obvious reasons) as it has a trapeze like a fireball and its not to difficult to sail single handed on the wire and your weight should be fine to sail single handed (up to about F4) and you should be able to right it fine as well

jp

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>