FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

New forum

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 4>
Author
Contender443 View Drop Down
Really should get out more

Online Status: Offline
Post Options Post Options   Quote Contender443 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: New forum
    Posted: 01 Feb 10 at 12:51pm

Sorry Mark but this is to introduce some new competition. There is a new forum with some intersting concepts. Have a look at

http://bearfacemedia.co.uk/default.aspx 

It is taking moderation to new levels and it will certainly not have the immediate responses of this site. I wonder how long it will take to get a post online. Also I wonder how many people (and how expensive it will be to run) they will have as moderators.

Me I am sticking to Y&Y and will select the threads I want to read.

Jack Sparrow View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Jack Sparrow Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Feb 10 at 2:42pm
Tim Berners-Lee would be so pleased about the increased level of moderating. Moderating is increasingly an excuse for protecting commercial interest by forum owners.

ex laser View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote ex laser Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Feb 10 at 2:59pm
do agree with the points made on moderating.

thats why this forum is so good and so much fun!

the only down side is, sometimes the posts can get a little too personnal.

Edited by ex laser
alstorer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote alstorer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Feb 10 at 3:36pm
Pre-moderation is unlikely to foster any sense of community. It gets in the way of any sort of debate.
-_
Al
I luv Wight View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote I luv Wight Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Feb 10 at 3:37pm
Do they know it's so BIG ?

( or is just me ? )

http://www.bloodaxeboats.co.uk
Andy P
foiling Int Moth GBR3467
Freedom 21 Codling
Jack Sparrow View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Jack Sparrow Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Feb 10 at 5:34pm
Moderators. All seems fine on paper. But paper doesn't consider the human in its pure pros. Humans have an unerring leaning toward self-righteous. Witness the statement above. i.e I don't agree with a certain opinion so therefor its ill founded. Moderators also you will find are not unbiased. And do and will protect their clique and the expense of the marginalised voices. What you end up with is a load of back slapping narrow minded forum users. The real thinkers and debaters go elsewhere. This place and other sailing forums need to man up and take the rough with the smooth.
oldfaht View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote oldfaht Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Feb 10 at 8:02pm
Cor. It's a tad biased. All seems a bit odd.

http://bearfacemedia.co.uk/FirstBeatFeb2010.aspx

Nothing wrong with controversy, but can't see this being a successful business model. Probably will be as successful as the National Racing Dinghy Archive

http://nrda.co.uk/default.aspx

Edited by oldfaht
Merlinboy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Merlinboy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Feb 10 at 8:30pm
I don't really understand the point of the website, or any of its second hand content?
Roy Race View Drop Down
Far too distracted from work

Post Options Post Options   Quote Roy Race Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Feb 10 at 9:19pm
Originally posted by Contender443

Sorry Mark but this is to introduce some new competition. There is a new forum with some intersting concepts. Have a look at

http://bearfacemedia.co.uk/default.aspx 

It is taking moderation to new levels and it will certainly not have the immediate responses of this site. I wonder how long it will take to get a post online. Also I wonder how many people (and how expensive it will be to run) they will have as moderators.

Me I am sticking to Y&Y and will select the threads I want to read.

One.
Roy Race View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Roy Race Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Feb 10 at 10:11pm
The model for this new "first beat, second reach" thing seems to be basically, "I'll write a blog, you e-mail me with comments and I'll post most of them". It is described as having gone "Live" on the website, which is a pretty ambitious description.

I have no reason to doubt that he's a lovely chap, but a quick bit of googling reveals that the author finished 32nd out of 36 at last year's 505 nationals and 58th out of 60 in the recent Contender Worlds.  

Now, lots of people go sailing just for the fun of participating and I wouldn't knock this for a second. There wouldn't be good sized championship fleets without the folk who are primarily there for a good time but will inevitably end up bringing up the rear. They're the backbone of the sport and good on them.

But...

I just don't think that level of performance gives you a workable remit to be commenting about top-end sailing with any sort of credibility.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 4>