FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

K1 - Whats the point?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 13>
Author
laser4000 View Drop Down
Really should get out more

Online Status: Offline
Post Options Post Options   Quote laser4000 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: K1 - Whats the point?
    Posted: 17 Jan 10 at 11:39am
Can someone explain to me where the market is for the K1 - Dinghy/Keelboat hybrid, I think I'm struggling to see it?
Jon711 View Drop Down
Far too distracted from work
Far too distracted from work

Post Options Post Options   Quote Jon711 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Jan 10 at 12:18pm

A single handed keelboat, that is not a sit in like the Illusion? (I can't think of one?).  It does have a strange appeal.

I can see that some older dinghy sailors, or people that may sail dinghies at clubs that are more organised for keelboat sailing, may find this a good compromise.

And the price looks very competitive for a singlehanded  boat (keel or not!)..

Jack Sparrow View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Jack Sparrow Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Jan 10 at 4:58pm
looks much to much hard work to fit that segment to me having looked at there proto type video.
tickler View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote tickler Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Jan 10 at 4:59pm
I would have thought that a two sail singlehander which would sail heeled and did not fall over when you cock up would be a good idea. It would let you get on with racing rather than that boring swimming thing.

Incidentally this is not a new idea Mark Giles (lightning 368, supernova) made one a few years ago  and it worked very well but it did not look quite sexy enough. Is it still sitting at West Oxford?
timeintheboat View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote timeintheboat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Jan 10 at 8:14pm
I like the idea and the boat looks good - though I suspect it could be made prettier. I'll have a good look at the Dinghy Show - assuming it is there.

I do like the idea of a jib on a singlehander - IMHO a trick missed in both the D-one and the RS100. What the RS100 and D-One do have though is that expectation of a huge grin as the windward mark is reached.

I can't help feeling that a 3rd sail (of some sort) option on the K1 would make it a very interesting offering. Good luck to them.

I wonder where the sailors for these new single handers are going to come from? What fleets will suffer?

Like some other things - sailing is more enjoyable when you do it with someone else
Rupert View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Rupert Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Jan 10 at 8:28pm
I like the look of the K1. Once my knees are even more shot, I'll be interested, if it still exists by then...
Firefly 2324, Puffin 229, Minisail 3446 Mirror 70686
BarnsieB14768 View Drop Down
Posting king
Posting king

Post Options Post Options   Quote BarnsieB14768 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Jan 10 at 10:40pm

Had a look at the K1 and yes normally I would say that what is the point but two boats have recently appeared that have filled a gap in the market.

1. the RS 100 for those that want the idea of the MPS but either do not have the confidence or type of racing/waters suitable for the MPS and like boats. So this boat has great potential and will probably be RS's No.2 growth boat in the next couple of years. Without the MPS, none of this including the RS700 would have happened. Great and good luck to them on that one.

2. the K1 is of smilar evolution and is very different to the Illusion. Have you looked at one close up and sailed one. They are sit in low freeboard boats and not suitable for many types of sailors or waters. The point of the K1 is that it is very similar to that of the current style of sailing. I believe it will fill a gap yet to be proven where you have a dinghy sailor who wants a daysailor keelboat they can race, cruise and STORE easily. Subject to finish and quality, it will be a medium seller in UK/Europe and if it had not been launched, may have been RS's next market. It will probably prolong the competitiveness of the older dingy sailors as they find the limbs can no longer follow the mind and heart.

Best of luck and hope Jamie gets the sales. 

laser4000 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote laser4000 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Jan 10 at 7:28am
Originally posted by BarnsieB14768

1. the RS 100 for those that want the idea of the MPS but either do not have the confidence or type of racing/waters suitable for the MPS and like boats. So this boat has great potential and will probably be RS's No.2 growth boat in the next couple of years. Without the MPS, none of this including the RS700 would have happened. Great and good luck to them on that one.

in this country the RS700 was out and selling well before the MPS turned up in any numbers.

Originally posted by BarnsieB14768

It will probably prolong the competitiveness of the older dingy sailors as they find the limbs can no longer follow the mind and heart.

I guess you've put your order in for one already then - you're in the target segment

Given all the wrangling about handicap racing do we need yet more 'proliferation of classes' - yet more new boats stealing sailors from existing classes, and thus devaluing the xyz national title

Discuss

ifoxwell View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote ifoxwell Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Jan 10 at 8:29am
The market looks pretty clear to me...

As some one else has already mentioned its aimed at
dinghy sailors, at least people that want a small, easy
to tow, launch, sail boat... but don't want all the hard
work.

I've sailed one and was pleasantly surprised. It still
pays, to a degree, to hike but it tracks and sails so nicely on its ear that you don't have to.

And down wind, while not exciting like an asymmetric,
flying the with jib boom goose winged is fun and all the
effortless gybes with no worry of a capsize, lets you
play a very tactical game off wind that is fun.

I came from a Musto and now have an RS100 on order so I wasn't expecting much but have to say it was fun, I can
see the appeal and perhaps one day...

Ian
maxibuddah View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote maxibuddah Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Jan 10 at 8:55am
at least the K1 is something different, and why not?
Everything I say is my opinion, honest
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 13>