FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

The RS100 Owners Thread

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 239240241242243 248>
Author
kneewrecker View Drop Down
Really should get out more

Online Status: Offline
Post Options Post Options   Quote kneewrecker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: The RS100 Owners Thread
    Posted: 21 Oct 14 at 11:48am
RS have at least been v. clear with the Aero launch- they are separate classes, as such there is no 'rig switching' officially.  

Although I guess most club racers would still swap if they could be arsed... 

Edited by kneewrecker - 21 Oct 14 at 11:49am
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Oct 14 at 1:04pm
Originally posted by jeffers

Originally posted by SimonW99

Its suck it and sea at this point. The 9 is pretty powerful, but as with all things if it turns out to be OK in open water then it won't take long for a switch. I think the 7.4 will dominate. I will use the 7.4 to sail on an equal basis to start with. Currently plan on entering the Sunday series with the 7.4m and the evening summer series with the 8.9m  Wink

Mind you, if only there had been a sail of lets say 8.1m it would be perfect........ but who on earth would make such a thing.

Guessing you have switch to Aero sizes here Simon?........

I can think of 2 single handers with 8.1sqm  Wink

Not switching in a series, but we run them as separate series and on the whole, evenings are less windy than days, so gives a chance to play around with the rigs and stay in seperate series. And of course I will be 5kg lighter by then so only need one sail Embarrassed

As I said before our club isn't too officious over sails and personally at club level i don't see the issue with 'reefing down' to a smaller sail provided you always run off the larger sails handicap. you can reef in wayfarers, RS600 etc and it doesn't provide a disadvantage to anyone unless they use the 5 as their large sail. Fully accept that its out of class for any formal events, but for club sailing I don't see the problem. If its howling, you can still go for a blast with a smaller rig.

Ah yes, you must be thinking of the Solo and the Supernova......

Edited by SimonW99 - 21 Oct 14 at 1:05pm
Old Timer View Drop Down
Far too distracted from work
Far too distracted from work

Post Options Post Options   Quote Old Timer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Oct 14 at 4:16pm
Originally posted by Rockhopper

... then the 100 came along was it any quicker than the vareo upwind errr not for me it was not I got sl*gged off something rotten for saying as much but look what happend in the end. Be careful with whatever you do

Well seems RS are pretty good at churning their customer base through new designs ...

It was perhaps obvious that the 100 wasn't that much of an improvement on the Vareo ... and now they are churning everyone into Aeros of various sizes ...

Like I say good business for them all the time people will pony up for the latest toy ...
Rockhopper View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Rockhopper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Oct 14 at 5:48pm
I look back on it now and I am so glad I stopped when I did.But well said Old timer too true indeed
Retired now after 35 seasons in a row and time for a rest.
2004 national champ Laser5000
2007,2010,National Champ Rs Vareo

Post Options Post Options   Quote kneewrecker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Oct 14 at 5:52pm
+1
haroosh View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote haroosh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Oct 14 at 6:04pm
Sorry guys but the 100 is sooo much better than the Vareo in every respect - especially downhill! As for the aero it's missing one major component.... A kite :-)
Keith
RS100 GBR 116 (XLR8)

Post Options Post Options   Quote kneewrecker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Oct 14 at 6:32pm
is it?  I've owned both, on reflection I'd say they're fairly similar.  If anything a Vareo is better for club sailing as you can use the radial kite - oh, and the handicap is a bit more realistic for a boat with such a polarised upwind and downwind performance.
haroosh View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote haroosh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Oct 14 at 6:35pm
Yes. I don't think you stuck at the 100 long enough to really get there :-)

Edited by haroosh - 21 Oct 14 at 6:36pm
Keith
RS100 GBR 116 (XLR8)

Post Options Post Options   Quote kneewrecker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Oct 14 at 7:25pm
Top half of the nationals mate... Back when there were double figures in attendance ;-)
haroosh View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote haroosh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Oct 14 at 7:30pm
Kudos :-)
Just amazing the boat is commanding all this interest still from folks that sold theirs after the first season or 2???
I must admit having raced Vareos on handicap quite a few times I have yet to be beaten by one on PY. Leave them for dead down hill...
OK if theres a tight reach then its alot of work but luckily I mostly sail windward leeward so happy days :)

Keith
RS100 GBR 116 (XLR8)
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 239240241242243 248>