FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

The RS100 Owners Thread

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 244245246247248>
Author
craiggo View Drop Down
Really should get out more

Online Status: Offline
Post Options Post Options   Quote craiggo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: The RS100 Owners Thread
    Posted: 22 Oct 14 at 8:16pm
I'd tend to side with Jim on this. While the actual words don't in themselves target anyone or their choice of craft, the perceived tone and strong reaction in defense of some boats on here does suggest an element of the 'fanboy' and yes Null I think whether you mean it or not you do come across as one of the strongest fanboys gracing these pages, that my friend is feedback!
It comes down to the old issue of how do you incorporate sarcasm, or emotion into an email. The truth is you can't and simply stating that because its a forum you have to accept it, isn't really the answer either, as it creates a cliquey 'in joke' environment which isn't a comfortable or welcoming place for those out of the know, who often come to pages like this looking for advice.
Now I know a fair few of you in 'Real Life' and therefore I can understand why you are writing in a particular way, but what about the others who have have so far managed to avoid contact with us in the real world?
Null View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Null Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Oct 14 at 8:40pm
Paul, being a fanboy in my opinion is not a problem.  Everyone here has elegancies to particular classes or builders.  Hell we know Jim is a cherub, bethwaite fanboy!  

By your own words you are agreeing with me, the tone something is written in is just as important in how it's read im affraid.  If you have read through this thread you would see that I have already explained myself.  The facts are simple I am grown man, father of 2, i have a stupid mortgage a wife and a Bloody good job (even if I do say so myself) I am more than happy with what I write and to be honest what you or Jim think of it means nothing to me.  I have as much right as the rest of you to post here.  In fact Paul, I have not named anyone or tageted anyone on here but I would suggest that calling me out specifically is some kind of school boy tactic,  I won't be bullied by anyone certainly not over the Internet....that my friend is feedback!  So we can leave it there.  I suspect you will want the last say.  That's fine, but I must say I am disappointed that you specifcally feel the need to address me in such a patronising manner.  

rb_stretch View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote rb_stretch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Oct 14 at 9:22pm
I find the response to JimC's point interesting, because whether intended or not it is a thought that had occurred to me.

Before explaining anymore I should say that anyone officially connected with the D0 has been utterly professional in their participation of any debate, in other words Dan, Rodney etc.

However when looking at the SA dinghy forum and seeing certain members of this forum commenting on the Aero thread with subtle or unsubtle digs at the Aero you do get the impression of a concerted "fanboy" effort to discredit the Aero. Given I'm not suited to either boat, but if I was then the Dzero would be of more interest to me, there must be something going on (whether conscious or not) to have given me this impression.

Having spent 12 years in the communications industry I've learnt to pay attention to the feelings created, whether the rational facts support them or not. It is often at the heart of very good advertising....

Edited by rb_stretch - 22 Oct 14 at 9:30pm
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Oct 14 at 9:55pm
Let's keep this really simple. People get passionate about their boats and frankly as long as comments are not illegal or downright offensive ( top gear rules apply here :-) ) then let's not worry about being overly pro or defensive. RS and Dan/Rodney have kept out of this. Let's keep talking about the advantages and maybe issues of what we sail.

iMHO you should all pick the boats that a few people at your club want to sail, if you don't know which that is yet, don't buy one. If you do, then sail the same boat and you can stop worrying about PY. I would be far more interested in Dan or Jo's comments about their design thinking, but perhaps I have listened to too many Jonny Ive presentations  Embarrassed

I think both boats are a fantastic step forward and am looking forward to sailing one next year. My choice was a club choice but if I was at another club I would pick a different boat that the majority sail. If I sailed at HISC, I hate to even consider it, but even I might sail a Solo Cry?

That said if my sails in the aero and Dzero tell me anything it's that in 5 years there probably won't be 60  solos at HISC as the game has genuinely moved on and I am glad of it. 

Ironically my favourite single hander is neither, but I am sailing the club fleet boat so will have a lot more fun than being Johnny no mates and sailing in a vacuum.

kneewrecker View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote kneewrecker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Oct 14 at 9:55pm
As I said before, fan boy is a pejorative term- if being able to evaluate the boats on spec, enables anyone to make an informed choice, and they are willing to share and explain their rationale, means they're a fanboy in some people's eyes then so be it.   I'd reserve the term for someone who really is fanstical about one class and is truly narrow minded and not prepared to try something and acknowledge the pros and cons.

But as for hype, the real discussion point- there's none of that coming out of Devoti on this.... None whatsoever.

Compare that to those silly spotlight videos....
Rupert View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Rupert Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Oct 14 at 9:56pm
What is your favorite singlehander, Simon?
Firefly 2324, Puffin 229, Minisail 3446 Mirror 70686
Null View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Null Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Oct 14 at 9:58pm
What seems to be skipped over is the fact that there are a number of zero owners posting on here on a regular basis.  So the so called hype is built up because others like me are excited by their purchase.  That's the cold hard fact behind it.  Like I have said before when aeros start to be delivered in bulk the response will no doubt be the same.  So it's somewhat unbalanced in terms of traffic at the moment. Those of you that posted on here cast your minds back to the 100 v d1 debate.  It was exactly the same.  More 100 than d1 posters.

Fanboys or whatever you want to call me or others are passionate about their chosen brand. But I think everyone e is guilty of that.  I think it's valid as well it's a great boat, it's my first ever new boat and I am pretty excited about it!
getafix View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote getafix Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Oct 14 at 10:14pm
Well glad all that's been cleared up, just one thing, why in this thread?  Wink
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Oct 14 at 10:16pm
Originally posted by Rupert

What is your favorite singlehander, Simon?
Rupert

Still have a soft spot for the Supernova, hardly puts a foot wrong apart from poor quality foils.

But favourite for the sea is the d-one. Glorius upwind and acheivable downwind if you dont sail like a plonker LOL. Having just had the shoulder rebuilt, I have got to work my way back, and maybe if work backs off a bit and cash eases,  it's still unfinished business. 

That said, I have to sail a Finn at some point.
Rupert View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Rupert Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Oct 14 at 8:30am
I like the SN hull, but I don't think I could live with the rig - it appears very hard to read in light winds, and then very overpowered in strong stuff, judging by the ones sailing at our club, and from sharing Northampton with them in the Lightning.
Firefly 2324, Puffin 229, Minisail 3446 Mirror 70686
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 244245246247248>