FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

The RS100 Owners Thread

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 243244245246247 248>
Author
kneewrecker View Drop Down
Really should get out more

Online Status: Offline
Post Options Post Options   Quote kneewrecker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: The RS100 Owners Thread
    Posted: 22 Oct 14 at 1:45pm
Oh the last word comeback... nice banter tampon mate.
Old Timer View Drop Down
Far too distracted from work

Post Options Post Options   Quote Old Timer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Oct 14 at 2:01pm
Originally posted by kneewrecker

Originally posted by JimC

Ooh, haven't I touched a nerve there!!

congratulations, I hear Akela will personally sew on your trolling badge.  LOL

+1 ... I think JimC is trying to take over from iGRP as head trouble maker ...
Null View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Null Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Oct 14 at 2:08pm
Originally posted by Rupert

There is certainly a difference between being a customer and a fan boy (if we are using that expression to mean someone who defends a product, sometimes at the expense of another brand in the same market place).

As an owner of neither, and a fan of both (yes, that is possible, they both look like good boats, and I haven't had a problem with the marketing of either) I have found that many of the comments on here, while stating neutrality, have been upping one boat and dissing everything that surrounds the other.

Its a forum, so fair enough, but also expect to be called on it.

And I quite agree that designer, builder and seller have all been the height of integrity when it comes to marketing.

Great post Rupert.  But a bit generalised.  I have not dissed the Aero as a boat or how it sailed.  I have even been through my posts and double checked after being accused of that before.  My beef had always been with some of what I deemed to be bizarre statements and sales pitches.  Which I discuss on a forum.  Now its no secret that i OWN a D-zero.  Its also no secret that I have a bad taste in my mouth from dealings in the past with RS.  Sure maybe that puts a swing on my posts. 

But like you say its a forum and its my opinion.  Be it stupid, biased or whatever.  I am just like every other member on here.  Other than unlike many i put my money where my mouth is and was able to form an opinion rather than sitting in the sidelines chipping in stoking the fires.  That's not aimed at anyone in particular BTW (will leave that to BB)  I also understand that some people think I work for Rodney.  Well i can assure you all i dont.  I actually never did, i helped him out as Demo Donkey with the D1.  It was a relationship that at the time worked for both of us.  Fortunately i had a big promotion at work this year which meant i told Rodney i could not keep doing what i was doing.  I helped out until about the dinghy show, at which point i fell in love with the Zero and ordered one.  I am sure he will confirm all this for everyone if any clarity is needed.

Now I am the type of person that likes dealing with people.  Its what i do for a living!  I bought a boat because i like dealing with Dan and I consider Rodney and Sue as close friends.  I know they would never let me down and i would move heaven and earth to help them if they needed it. However i must re-emphasise that i have NO COMMERCIAL interest in Devoti Sailing or Suntouched sailboats.

I am just a consumer and purchased a boat for my own reasons.  I am immensely happy with my decision so as a keyboard gobsh*te.  like 99% of this forum, i decided to tell people about it.  I'm sorry if that upsets people.  But i thought that's what forums are for....?
boatbasher View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Quote boatbasher Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Oct 14 at 2:20pm
Originally posted by Null

My beef had always been with some of what I deemed to be bizarre statements and sales pitches.  Which I discuss on a forum.

Indeed; some of that BS has really treated the market like muppets ...

Originally posted by Null

Its also no secret that I have a bad taste in my mouth from dealings in the past with RS

Well I guess as that population grows more people get dissatisfied and you can expect to see more of it on forums; consumers have a voice now.

2547 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote 2547 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Oct 14 at 2:36pm
Meanwhile the boat that the RS100 was supposed to be so much better than has just had a rather nice multi national event in the sunshine ... looks wonderful ...

http://www.yachtsandyachting.com/news/179677/D-One-Gold-Cup-Alassio-2014-overall

See ... hype does not always win the day ...

Post Options Post Options   Quote kneewrecker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Oct 14 at 2:46pm
The flare up here is Jim's deliberate use of the word 'fanboy'.  It's pejorative, used to discredit opinion.  I'm sure it was intended to get a rise, and it's water off a duck's back and all part of the great landscape for forum titter-tatter- if I ever met Jim I'd love to buy him a beer and have proper chat about boats.  Far more interesting than some bore who's only ever sailed a ******* class of boat. 

Do not feed the troll?  Where's the fun in that?  It would be like ignoring a fellow Ex-Laser sailor who wants to re-assert his masculinity by reminding us all his one is 'blue'.  No thanks, his opinion, whilst misguided, is equally valid and valued.

Anyway - Fanboyism- Fine if we're talking about some kid who's only ever used an iPhone and they're commenting on the latest Android release; but a little over-reaching for a dinghy sailing forum- especially when levied at folks whose record shows they are anything but 'loyal' in the conventional sense of the sailing scene with classes and builders.  

FWIW - there isn't anyone on here I would call a real fanboy- we're all far more intelligent than that, but if we're being honest, there's been times, on this thread in particular, when fanboyishness and hype can be found.  It's amusing to look back on, especially with 20:20 hindsight, but one thing's for sure, the forum is a Pavlov's dog- RS launch a new boat, and we all salivate, even if it's not time to eat.  That is the power of their brand, their advertising and their infamous 'marketing machine', though they may not fully realise it themselves.

Edited by kneewrecker - 22 Oct 14 at 2:53pm

Post Options Post Options   Quote kneewrecker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Oct 14 at 2:55pm
Originally posted by 2547

Meanwhile the boat that the RS100 was supposed to be so much better than has just had a rather nice multi national event in the sunshine ... looks wonderful ...

http://www.yachtsandyachting.com/news/179677/D-One-Gold-Cup-Alassio-2014-overall

See ... hype does not always win the day ...

and to get this thread back O/T, it's something the guys in the 100s are addressing on their own forum- they at least acknowledge their numbers have plummeted.  

edit: for balance, Devoti always did have some pretty stunning locations in the D-One line up, even from the very early days.

Should be interesting to see how many D-Ones hit Oxford this weekend, the forecast looks good.

Edited by kneewrecker - 22 Oct 14 at 3:10pm
Alistair426 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Alistair426 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Oct 14 at 4:01pm

edit: for balance, Devoti always did have some pretty stunning locations in the D-One line up, even from the very early days.

The D-One always had the advantage on that front as it seems to have been a 'continental' boat sold into the UK rather than the case of the RS100 which was conceived in the murky depths of Chichester Harbour and the Solent and foist upon the Italian Lakes. 

Edited by Alistair426 - 22 Oct 14 at 4:02pm

Post Options Post Options   Quote kneewrecker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Oct 14 at 4:05pm
I agree with that obo... but interestingly enough, the D-One is a Morrison hull, a very UK centric design philosophy.  Whereas the RS100 had styling input from Vitali design- very Italian. 

It's a funny old world.....  

Edited by kneewrecker - 22 Oct 14 at 4:07pm
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Oct 14 at 4:15pm
What do you boys mean its an Italian boat? We have just reclaimed it with Nick winning the regatta and Giles taking the masters trophy. Congrats to both. I'll get my gold pen out and go down the club tonight to chalk another one up on the winners boards Clap
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 243244245246247 248>