FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

The RS100 Owners Thread

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 242243244245246 248>
Author
Daniel Holman View Drop Down
Really should get out more

Online Status: Offline
Post Options Post Options   Quote Daniel Holman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: The RS100 Owners Thread
    Posted: 22 Oct 14 at 12:19pm
Originally posted by JimC

Originally posted by Old Timer

That is about right ... must be the most over hyped new dinghy ever ... until the Aero ...

You're forgetting the 5 tonner.

But I don't know I'd really describe the Aero as hyped compared to the stuff coming from the Devoti fanboys.

Hi Jim,
I think you will hit nerves if people feel that they are being misrepresented.
I don't think I have originated any hype - the zero is about fourteen feet of boat, it will not, to paraphrase Boris Johnson, make your wife have bigger breasts and increase your chances of driving a BMW M3 (more is the pity). It's not a bethwaite/Farr/Morrison/bieker/Richards, and I haven't designed or built a cherub (yet), but the boat reflects a large body of effort, intellectual and otherwise, and leverages a lot of experience from the coal face of a decade of una rig hiking boat sailing.
I haven't seen anything come from Rodney or Devoti themselves that I am uncomfortable with, and I get uneasy at the merest whiff of bullsh*t around anything with which I am associated.
All I have seen regarding the zero is enthusiastic owners discussing their experiences, which is personally satisfying and validates those efforts.
Dan
Blue One View Drop Down
Far too distracted from work

Post Options Post Options   Quote Blue One Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Oct 14 at 12:23pm
Originally posted by JimC

Ooh, haven't I touched a nerve there!!

Jeffers apart, most of the d- 0 fan boys are a little sensitive to any criticism and if poked, attack the poker or another class/manufacturer. But then again given their track record on the forum it's not a surprise. :)

And for the record, have sailed the d-0, it's a great boat and will be a great success. After a lot of thought, would I buy one?
No, would rather go back to supernova sailing.
kneewrecker View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote kneewrecker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Oct 14 at 12:56pm
Originally posted by Blue One

Jeffers apart, most of the d- 0 fan boys are a little sensitive to any criticism and if poked, attack the poker or another class/manufacturer. But then again given their track record on the forum it's not a surprise. :)

I think you'll find most of the D-Zero customers aren't even registered on this forum.  Please don't draw association between the fledgling class, its wider customer base with a couple vocalt**ts on a forum. (after all, you're only really referencing Russ and I; and I don't even own one (yet), nor do we represent anything like the typical owner... although we probably once did, I joined this forum what, 10 years ago, as a frustrated Laser sailor looking for the next challenge.  

As for sensitive, au contraire, you couldn't be further from the truth.  Well versed in a bit of handbagging sure... overly passionate and sensitive about one particular class, builder or designer... n'ah, our records speak volume.  We buy what we want, when we want it.  we can afford it.  Unlike other folks here, the sailing toys we own, do not own, nor do they define us.

Edited by kneewrecker - 22 Oct 14 at 1:04pm
Blue One View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Blue One Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Oct 14 at 1:07pm
Originally posted by kneewrecker

Originally posted by Blue One

I think you'll find most of the D-Zero customers aren't even registered on this forum.  Please don't draw association between the fledgling class, its wider customer base with a couple vocalt**ts on a forum. (after all, you're only really referencing Russ and I; and I don't even own one (yet), nor do we represent anything like the typical owner... although we probably once did, I joined this forum what, 10 years ago, as a frustrated Laser sailor looking for the next challenge.  
As for sensitive, au contraire, you couldn't be further from the truth.  Well versed in a bit of handbagging sure... overly passionate and sensitive about one particular class, builder or designer... n'ah, our records speak volume.  We buy what we want, when we want it.  we can afford it.  Unlike other folks here, the sailing toys we own, do not own, nor do they define us.

Point proved.
Null View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Null Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Oct 14 at 1:11pm
not really

Post Options Post Options   Quote kneewrecker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Oct 14 at 1:13pm
No point disproved. I have neither attacked you, nor criticised anyone, any group or any one specific brand.  

Rupert View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Rupert Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Oct 14 at 1:22pm
There is certainly a difference between being a customer and a fan boy (if we are using that expression to mean someone who defends a product, sometimes at the expense of another brand in the same market place).

As an owner of neither, and a fan of both (yes, that is possible, they both look like good boats, and I haven't had a problem with the marketing of either) I have found that many of the comments on here, while stating neutrality, have been upping one boat and dissing everything that surrounds the other.

Its a forum, so fair enough, but also expect to be called on it.

And I quite agree that designer, builder and seller have all been the height of integrity when it comes to marketing.
Firefly 2324, Puffin 229, Minisail 3446 Mirror 70686
mongrel View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote mongrel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Oct 14 at 1:25pm
Originally posted by Daniel Holman

the zero is about fourteen feet of boat, it will not, to paraphrase Boris Johnson, increase your chances of driving a BMW M3 (more is the pity).
Bet it has for you though! Wink

Post Options Post Options   Quote kneewrecker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Oct 14 at 1:26pm
Originally posted by Rupert

There is certainly a difference between being a customer and a fan boy (if we are using that expression to mean someone who defends a product, sometimes at the expense of another brand in the same market place).

As an owner of neither, and a fan of both (yes, that is possible, they both look like good boats, and I haven't had a problem with the marketing of either) I have found that many of the comments on here, while stating neutrality, have been upping one boat and dissing everything that surrounds the other.

Its a forum, so fair enough, but also expect to be called on it.

And I quite agree that designer, builder and seller have all been the height of integrity when it comes to marketing.

that's a fair post Rupert- thank you.  

FWIW - I certainly haven't stated neutrality, but I have tried to remain as open as possible to the positives of both.  

If I sailed at Lymington, I would have an Aero on order, despite having a personal preference for a D-Zero.  
Blue One View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Blue One Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Oct 14 at 1:40pm
Originally posted by kneewrecker

No point disproved. I have neither attacked you, nor criticised anyone, any group or any one specific brand.  

But as always you have to have the last word.
Looking forward to your response, as always.

Edited by Blue One - 22 Oct 14 at 1:41pm
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 242243244245246 248>