FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

The RS100 Owners Thread

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 240241242243244 248>
Author
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: The RS100 Owners Thread
    Posted: 21 Oct 14 at 8:36pm
Yes, mine went after a season and a bit. I guess that when one of our championship sailors was beaten on a number of occasions by lasers, the reality started to dawn!. Try a d-one and it's chalk and cheese I am afraid. Upwind it's a delight, in fact one of the nicest upwind boats I have ever sailed. Around a course it mixes with the 400's and when you do chuck it in, you always know why, as it is vice less. It's only the cost that holds it back.

Edited by SimonW99 - 21 Oct 14 at 8:39pm
Rockhopper View Drop Down
Really should get out more

Online Status: Offline
Post Options Post Options   Quote Rockhopper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Oct 14 at 9:27pm
Still think the 100 was just an updated vareo which did not really work yes it was quicker downwind but was it upwind hmmm not sure on that one mine flew upwind but then again I knew how to the best out of it. Hence knackered knee joints of pushing myself too hard but hey I did the vareo nationals in 07/08/09/10 then stopped sailing soon after so who am I to say anything about 100s yes I had a go did not like it, Too easy to sail I thought at the time
Retired now after 35 seasons in a row and time for a rest.
2004 national champ Laser5000
2007,2010,National Champ Rs Vareo
Old Timer View Drop Down
Far too distracted from work
Far too distracted from work

Post Options Post Options   Quote Old Timer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Oct 14 at 9:53am
Originally posted by Rockhopper

Still think the 100 was just an updated vareo which did not really work  

That is about right ... must be the most over hyped new dinghy ever ... until the Aero ... 

Roll-up roll-up ... place your orders here ....
JimC View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote JimC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Oct 14 at 10:04am
Originally posted by Old Timer

That is about right ... must be the most over hyped new dinghy ever ... until the Aero ...

You're forgetting the 5 tonner.

But I don't know I'd really describe the Aero as hyped compared to the stuff coming from the Devoti fanboys.

Edited by JimC - 22 Oct 14 at 10:05am
Null View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Null Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Oct 14 at 10:15am
Originally posted by JimC

But I don't know I'd really describe the Aero as hyped compared to the stuff coming from the Devoti fanboys.

Oh really Jim.....link some of the marketing stuff from Devoti? Or the bold claims made by them Or anyone that has a commercial interest? Perhaps all the sales video clips of people lifting the boat up, maybe the review???  I will save you the time....There are very few if any!!!  .  What you see on this forum is a collection of people who have bought the boat because they have a) Seen one in the flesh (i suspect you are too busy looking at spreadsheets or trying to make smart ass comments to even know what one was) b) they have actually sailed the boat, fell in love with it and spent their hard earned money on them.

For someone who is quite clearly an intelligent man, you are very narrow minded if you think that this forum represents anything other than a very small section of the UK dinghy scene.  
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Oct 14 at 10:15am
No wonder HISC has so many solos! Wink

Having sailed both new boats, I think they deserve a bit of hype as they have moved the game on in slightly different ways and after 40 years of the laser and its one regatta use tin pole, its about time.

It will be interesting to see in 18 months time how many of these boats have been sold, but I can't remember the last time I heard about so many new 10+ boat plus fleets being started, so clearly there was a wish for a change. Lets hope they both turn out to be fully developed, robust and good to sail in all conditions. 
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Oct 14 at 10:27am
If you ignore the marketing blurb on their site and the over branding and markings on the boat itself, I am not sure you could say that RS have hyped it more than anyone who launches a new product. They haven't made ridiculous speed claims to my knowledge or claimed that its the second coming of Christ.

When you build a boat that light, getting people to pick it up isn't hype, just obvious and having done it, it sure is light. 

In fact, they appear to have cut their advertising on Y&Y, not even putting one in when it was reviewed, so could be argued that they have cut back their 'marketing' on this product in comparison to earlier years. 

I don't think Devoti, Dan or Suntouched have hyped the Dzero either, just provided lots of opportunity for people to try it. 

I suspect JimC is referring to Forum traffic and as you say, its such a tiny tiny proportion of dinghy sailors, we are entirely irrelevant in the overall dinghy scene Cry
kneewrecker View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote kneewrecker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Oct 14 at 10:29am
Originally posted by Null

Originally posted by JimC

Oh really Jim.....link some of the marketing stuff from Devoti? Or the bold claims made by them Or anyone that has a commercial interest? Perhaps all the sales video clips of people lifting the boat up, maybe the review???  I will save you the time....There are very few if any!!!  .  What you see on this forum is a collection of people who have bought the boat because they have a) Seen one in the flesh (i suspect you are too busy looking at spreadsheets or trying to make smart ass comments to even know what one was) b) they have actually sailed the boat, fell in love with it and spent their hard earned money on them.

For someone who is quite clearly an intelligent man, you are very narrow minded if you think that this forum represents anything other than a very small section of the UK dinghy scene.  

If Jim's idea of hype is few enthusiasts sharing their enthusiasm on the internet, then frankly he's not living in the same world as the rest of us; and being just a tad hypocritical.  He's also being a little disingenuous- this is a dinghy development thread, and sometimes development means simplification and efficiency, not yet another marketing gimmick or some development boat elitist 'game changer' that cosigns 90% of their fleet to the history books of uncompetitiveness.     

When it comes to Devoti and Suntouched, there's certainly no commercial hype, or company released videos showing someone lifting it to the water windsurf stylee (like to see it in a good F4 cross/off), and others released, therefore endorsing bold claims about upwind planing.  And Designer Dan, lovely bloke, but not a natural salesman, which probably goes in his favour for any 'early adopters' with the burn scars. 

The D-Zero, is, in my opinion the anthesis of hype - it's nothing more than a Laser with the turds polished out.  It's a nice little boat, other than trying to get enough people together to give it some legs, and a certain amount 'so simple it's refreshing', I can't see where there's any hype whatsoever... if anything it could probably do with a bit more, but then that's not Rodney style, he'd rather drag them around the country and let people make their own minds up from sailing it than commission a professional videographer and some Facebook credit.

Edited by kneewrecker - 22 Oct 14 at 10:33am
kneewrecker View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote kneewrecker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Oct 14 at 10:31am
Originally posted by SimonW99

In fact, they appear to have cut their advertising on Y&Y, not even putting one in when it was reviewed, so could be argued that they have cut back their 'marketing' on this product in comparison to earlier years. 

that is very true too- there's a certain expectation that RS will 'market' in the way RS go about it, but I don't get the vibe it's as heavily hyped as either the 7 or 100.
jeffers View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote jeffers Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Oct 14 at 10:36am
Originally posted by SimonW99

I don't think Devoti, Dan or Suntouched have hyped the Dzero either, just provided lots of opportunity for people to try it. 

I suspect JimC is referring to Forum traffic and as you say, its such a tiny tiny proportion of dinghy sailors, we are entirely irrelevant in the overall dinghy scene Cry

Well said Simon, the 'hype' (if you want to brand it as that) has, on the whole, come from people who actually own the boat(s) and rightly so. I love my D-Zero, it has re-ignited my love of sailing. Had it not come along and had i not got one then it is likely I would have stopped sailing.
Paul
----------------------
D-Zero GBR 74
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 240241242243244 248>