FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

The RS100 Owners Thread

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 238239240241242 248>
Author
Alistair426 View Drop Down
Far too distracted from work

Online Status: Offline
Post Options Post Options   Quote Alistair426 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: The RS100 Owners Thread
    Posted: 21 Oct 14 at 8:54am
I'll repeat what I posted on the RS100 Forum...
'If RS did introduce a new 9-ish sqm sail it would probably be adopted by the guys on the circuit and be sold with new boats. However, the majority of people who simply club race [Ed - and don't replace their sails frequently, if ever] would stick with their existing preference...effectively creating a 'third way' rather than consolidating the two sail sizes.' 
As an owner (and 85kg), I have to agree that a single sail of the 9-ish size, would be my preference but I can see more problems than solutions.
kneewrecker View Drop Down
Really should get out more

Post Options Post Options   Quote kneewrecker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Oct 14 at 9:41am
Yes- problems, solutions and opportunities

With the travellers events attracting barely any entries these days, maybe it's time for a 'hard reset' and correct what is a fundamental problem that has dogged the class from the outset.  

As you say, it won't affect the parsimonious club sailor - they will continue to go on using whichever sail they want until it falls apart anyway.  When you can get more sail area on an RS Aero, and they reportedly plane upwind with it, then it does make a bit of a mockery of the 8.4 rigged RS100.

Edited by kneewrecker - 21 Oct 14 at 9:42am
Old Timer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Old Timer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Oct 14 at 9:59am
Originally posted by Dignhysailor

Secondly, am going to buy second hand, so what is depreciation like?

Well the current owners have suffered pretty bad depreciation so perhaps they look cheap today but with the class pretty much dead already those prices are likely to continue to fall ...

You can pick one up for less than £4000 already which is pretty cheap considering a new boat with cover and trailer is pretty much £10k ...

But what will your £4k be worth in a year or too?
Rupert View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Rupert Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Oct 14 at 10:09am
With an upturn in the class's fortunes (who knows, maybe with a switch to a single rig?!) maybe it will be worth 5 grand? I'm not convinced it is a dead class, though I don't think we will see the huge turnouts that people were predicting a few years ago. 1 person and 2 big sails is always going to be a niche market.

More likely, you'll own the boat for a couple of years and sell it on for a few hundred less than you bought it for, much like any other class.
Firefly 2324, Puffin 229, Minisail 3446 Mirror 70686
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Oct 14 at 10:12am
The 100 always carried too much sail area for its leverage and upwind speed potential. In short it was very hard work. the 8.4 was better cut and upwind was no slower. the only area it was a fraction slower was on a tight reach. There is always a temptation to put too much sail on to hiking boats. 

The Inland vs Sea debate obviously has an effect. After the first few months sea sailing I pretty much always used the 8.4 and had better results and felt I could compete better upwind despite being no lightweight. It will be interesting to see how the aero pans out as it looks too narrow for the 9, but then you have to think about whether the extra power will translate into speed better because of the lack of weight. I think most of our orders are for the 7, with one or two having 9's as well. 

kneewrecker View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote kneewrecker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Oct 14 at 10:26am
Originally posted by SimonW99

The Inland vs Sea debate obviously has an effect. After the first few months sea sailing I pretty much always used the 8.4 and had better results and felt I could compete better upwind despite being no lightweight. It will be interesting to see how the aero pans out as it looks too narrow for the 9, but then you have to think about whether the extra power will translate into speed better because of the lack of weight. I think most of our orders are for the 7, with one or two having 9's as well. 

That's a very interesting observation regards the 7 being more popular- I wonder if we'll see a general divide between open water and restricted water choices?  A look through that 100 forum thread shows average weight guys using the 10.2 inland in their club racing, even though the class rules would prevent them using it for championships.
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Oct 14 at 10:43am
Its suck it and sea at this point. The 9 is pretty powerful, but as with all things if it turns out to be OK in open water then it won't take long for a switch. I think the 7.4 will dominate. I will use the 7.4 to sail on an equal basis to start with. Currently plan on entering the Sunday series with the 7.4m and the evening summer series with the 8.9m  Wink

Mind you, if only there had been a sail of lets say 8.1m it would be perfect........ but who on earth would make such a thing.
Null View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Null Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Oct 14 at 10:44am
Simon thats a great post.  I do question why a larger sail is needed for the 100.  The 8.4 seems to be where its at, so why narrow the competitive field even further by increasing the sail size?  Unless the sail cut is awful and a redesign is needed.  But feedback suggests that the 8.4 wasnt a bad sail??  I would be wary if i was in the fleet of a proposed rule change.    I'm not so sure why the 10.2 isnt scrapped?  Are people buying the new big rigs still?  Or are they specifically for Wednesday night drifting sessions?
Rockhopper View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Rockhopper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Oct 14 at 11:10am
Whatever you do it will not be everyones taste we tried to change the sail and the mast and lots of bits on the vareo to improve it at the time the new sail was tested the boat pointed higher and was quicker upwind but most people voted not to go for it hence then the 100 came along was it any quicker than the vareo upwind errr not for me it was not I got sl*gged off something rotten for saying as much but look what happend in the end. Be careful with whatever you do
Retired now after 35 seasons in a row and time for a rest.
2004 national champ Laser5000
2007,2010,National Champ Rs Vareo
jeffers View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote jeffers Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Oct 14 at 11:26am
Originally posted by SimonW99

Its suck it and sea at this point. The 9 is pretty powerful, but as with all things if it turns out to be OK in open water then it won't take long for a switch. I think the 7.4 will dominate. I will use the 7.4 to sail on an equal basis to start with. Currently plan on entering the Sunday series with the 7.4m and the evening summer series with the 8.9m  Wink

Mind you, if only there had been a sail of lets say 8.1m it would be perfect........ but who on earth would make such a thing.

Guessing you have switch to Aero sizes here Simon?........

I can think of 2 single handers with 8.1sqm  Wink
Paul
----------------------
D-Zero GBR 74
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 238239240241242 248>