FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Big it up for Largs!

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 345
Author
Adoo View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Online Status: Offline
Post Options Post Options   Quote Adoo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Apr 04 at 3:36pm

Largs???

Did Crewsearch there (dates me....) ended up with 2 boats sailing bow to bow, both reaching stbd tack, about 100 yards apart - wind was 180 degrees different, so yes, huge variety of conditions. The only place I've been where it rains more is Belgium.

Best sailing location in the UK has to be Belfast Lough. Not to tidal, good breezes, unobstructed course, no local wonders.... RUYC and Ballyholme YC have superb facilities.

"head in bra" cup, Laser europeans, GP worlds etc etc....And IMHO the only plausable Americas Cup venue in the UK. Ye cannie hold that in Largs!

Pity the political situation has persuaded people not to go. Don't vote against it 'til you've tried it.

Better to be overpowered in the gusts than underpowered in the lulls!
Haggis View Drop Down
Posting king
Posting king

Online Status: Offline
Post Options Post Options   Quote Haggis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Apr 04 at 2:36pm

Is it me being home-sick or is Largs the best dinghy sailing venue in the UK?

Where else has or has had:
ISAF Youth Worlds
Optimist Worlds
18 Skiff Nationals
etc etc
(will add to after some post lunch research)

I'm not talking about the onshore facilites but just the pure sailing area, where else do you get such a large choice and different conditions at your disposal?

Having sailed in many venues both at home and abroad it is just nice to sail somewhere we you can host large fleets, the sail to the sailing area isn't too long the winds are predicatable the tide doesn't do strange things and most importantly you get the place to yourselves without 101 other water users vying for the same stretch

The fact that 49 420's travelled all the way up there just for a weekend, surely goes to show its popularity??

Is this why a large number of  Scottish/National Youth Squad members and Olympic Squad hopefulls have come from this area of the Firth of Clyde?

Let the fighting commence!

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 345