FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

This forum is what you make of it

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345 8>
Author
Mikey 14778 View Drop Down
Far too distracted from work

Online Status: Offline
Post Options Post Options   Quote Mikey 14778 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: This forum is what you make of it
    Posted: 25 Nov 09 at 3:19pm
Yes, less is more. Too many sections serves only to confuse, and the threads in each will be old. Nothing kills a forum
quicker than seeing the dead leaves blowing through.

Personally it bugs me that the RS100 and D1 have got so many pages, it looks a lot like free advertising. But it has to
be said that it wasn't Nick or Luca or their employees who wrote most of them, not by a long shot. And if it's just
people writing about boats, well that is what we're here for.

The new section is going to be a bugger to police, especially given that it is billed as:

"One Design Dinghies
For the SMODs"

A Mirror dinghy is a one design, as is a Fireball (I think), but neither are SMODs. And they are all dinghies so should
ideally be in the 'Dinghy Chat' section, if you had one. Almost none of the stuff in 'Dinghy Development' is about dinghy
development.

Some further reorganisation or renaming might be an idea.

ASok View Drop Down
Really should get out more

Post Options Post Options   Quote ASok Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Nov 09 at 3:45pm

Originally posted by Roy Race

It only really needs five or six categories, maybe:

The Magazine
Dinghies
Yachts
General
Event reporting
And maybe this trade section where commercial posters can post.

That's it. It would at least keep everything rolling over and looking fresh. Mark, I sent you a PM in July with some constructive suggestions for the forum but you didn't reply. At first I figured you weren't bothered but in hindsight it was around the time the parent company was having its problems so maybe you were busy. Did you not get it, would you like me to sent it again or are you not fussed?

What about cat sailing?

Just because we're not an Olympic sport

Laser 173312 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Laser 173312 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Nov 09 at 4:08pm
And the 'America's Cup', but you knew I would say that, didn't you!
Roy Race View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Roy Race Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Nov 09 at 4:30pm
Originally posted by ASok

Originally posted by Roy Race

It only really needs five or six categories, maybe:

The Magazine
Dinghies
Yachts
General
Event reporting
And maybe this trade section where commercial posters can post.

That's it. It would at least keep everything rolling over and looking fresh. Mark, I sent you a PM in July with some constructive suggestions for the forum but you didn't reply. At first I figured you weren't bothered but in hindsight it was around the time the parent company was having its problems so maybe you were busy. Did you not get it, would you like me to sent it again or are you not fussed?

What about cat sailing?

Just because we're not an Olympic sport

Sorry, yes you're right.
Roy Race View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Roy Race Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Nov 09 at 4:35pm
Originally posted by Laser 173312

And the 'America's Cup', but you knew I would say that, didn't you!

What's the point? I'm quite interested in the America's Cup and have spent a few hours watching the live Fox5 coverage of the BFW on DZ blasting around in SD but AC Anarchy pretty much has that base covered.

winging it View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote winging it Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Nov 09 at 5:32pm
I am strong painkillers today after my fight with the club Vision.  Are they causing me to hallucinate?  I was sure something awful happened to the forum just earlier....
the same, but different...

Mark Jardine View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Quote Mark Jardine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Nov 09 at 5:36pm
I've done a bit of shuffling - might have looked odd for a while but I think I've aggregated things a bit. I'm sure it'll please some and annoy others - generally that's what I've worked out change of any type does.
winging it View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote winging it Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Nov 09 at 5:49pm
Phew, should be safe for the trip to Tesco to buy the beer for the experimental mix with said painkillers in order to best enjoy the footie....

Less is defintely more, except in the case of olde wooden boats...
the same, but different...

gordon View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote gordon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Nov 09 at 9:58am
I would argue that the Racing Rules section has performed a useful function. The discussions have been interesting and informative, and, for a judge, give an opportunity to think and write about the rules in a less stressful environment than the protest room.

Gordon
Gordon
jeffers View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote jeffers Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Nov 09 at 1:51pm

Originally posted by gordon

I would argue that the Racing Rules section has performed a useful function. The discussions have been interesting and informative, and, for a judge, give an opportunity to think and write about the rules in a less stressful environment than the protest room.

Gordon

I agree here, glad to see it is still there given the announcement today from the ISAF.....

Paul
----------------------
D-Zero GBR 74
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345 8>