FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

RS Feva vs Hobie 405

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
winging it View Drop Down
Really should get out more

Online Status: Offline
Post Options Post Options   Quote winging it Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: RS Feva vs Hobie 405
    Posted: 09 Nov 09 at 9:36am
This post isn't for me, but is for a family I know who want a double hander with a dash of excitement that can be sailed by two young boys plus sometimes their grandfather.  All of them can sail, they just want something a bit faster than a pico or topper, which is what they have now.

Second hand Fevas seem to be gold dust, whereas the Hobie option seems easily attainable.
the same, but different...

laser4000 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote laser4000 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Nov 09 at 10:16am
but if they ever want to get into class events/racing then feva is the only way to go - racing in places like garda and an average of 63 boats at Nat Champs - average of 15 for the 405 but that's hiding a steady decline in turnout over the last few years.

Probably more 'club/local area' training around in fevas too..
winging it View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote winging it Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Nov 09 at 10:20am
Having looked at various you tube clips, I'd be concerned that at the moment the 405 looks a bit too racy!  Are there any demo boats anywhere, for either class?  We're in the Grafham area.
the same, but different...

zailor View Drop Down
Far too distracted from work

Post Options Post Options   Quote zailor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Nov 09 at 11:05am

Personally I'd get the Feva.

I had one for a year and they are cracking little boats.
Super fun in big breeze!

I'm sure RS would have a feva on their "try a boat" list.
They are also used in sailing centers alot so finding one to have a go on wouldn't be too difficult

jeffers View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote jeffers Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Nov 09 at 11:14am

Morning Nessa.

Oli S had a Hobie 405 that he (tried) to race with various crews. It never looked any good at Hunts to be honest (suffered from Assy Syndrome on the runs). The sail plan always looked awful too with the leech looking very hooked (despite the rig being moved around).

It never looked fast unless it was blowing old boots. I would say encourage them towards a Feva. There are a couple at the club already so you may find that one of them may be available if you enquire as the sailors have grown up a bit now.

PM me if you want the names...

Paul

Paul
----------------------
D-Zero GBR 74
A Seabadger View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote A Seabadger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Nov 09 at 6:16pm
We have a second hand feva for sail
Berthed in Surrey
PM me if interested
I don't suffer from insanity...I enjoy every moment of it.
The Big Wednesday View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote The Big Wednesday Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Feb 19 at 3:27pm
Somewhat late in the day but better late than never.  The Hobie 405 was designed as the RYA Intermediate Youth Training dinghy so probably not suitable for those who are adult and lardy.  It's more challenging than a Feva or Topaz, and the like but more manageable tham a 29-er.

Below is a new online resource for junior sailors interested in finding out about the HOBIE 405, a performance dinghy that was (and is) much ahead of its time in many respects. The Hobie 405 was designed from the ground up as the RYA intermediate youth training dinghy, not a leisure boat with go-faster add-ons. With great build quality, an asymmetric, single wire and PY of 1089 it still offers a manageable and very affordable entry into real asymmetric sailing for younger sailors.  With competitive 2nd hand examples often around the £500.00 mark with combi, what's not to like?

https://www.facebook.com/groups/309480016377777/

Edited by The Big Wednesday - 08 Mar 19 at 11:25pm
 Post Reply Post Reply