FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

29X or just a SMOD cherub?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 56789 10>
Author
Phil eltringham View Drop Down
Really should get out more

Online Status: Offline
Post Options Post Options   Quote Phil eltringham Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Apr 05 at 11:25am
the main difference is that the 29er is a good two feet longer so should be a lot less twitchy than the cherub and potentially easier to sail.  A lot of kids may well get the X rig for the 29er as it is effctively a cheap upgrade for when they get bigger or the wind drops, much as people change rigs on lasers now.  If I didn't enjoy my B14 so much I might have wanted to get hold of an X-rig for my old 29er. 
FLAT IS FAST!
Shifts Happen
JimC View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote JimC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Apr 05 at 12:54pm
Originally posted by Blobby

I still say that on a Cherub you do not HAVE to keep tweaking and modifying things.

Completely true - In 1980 Guy Lewington bough the World Champion winning Cherub Flat Stanley for 500 quid. Wasn't a lot even then. Over the next few years he won about everything worth winning (Bloody Mary, Stokes Bay Solent Pusuit, Grafham Grand prix, several Champs etc etc) with total fiddling being a new suit of sails , probably a couple of kites, one new mast when he broke the old one and possibly the occassional lick of varnish on the decks (though it sure never looked like it!)

I don't think X versus X arguments achieve a lot. Cherub and 9er evolution is all tied up together with a whole lot of other influences. Some folk sail SMODs for what are good reasons to them (and its only your own opinion of the reasons that count) other sail box rule boats because that suits them. Frankly as long as they are having fun sailing I don't care!

I think the 29er is a great boat, but I personally wouldn't want to own one. Should the 29erX in the adevrtised state turn into a shipping boat it will be interesting to see, but I really would be suprised if the hull shape was optimum for the new rig, but the marketing and production saving advantages of two rigs might tip the balance over the ideal hull.
Keith View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Quote Keith Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Apr 05 at 12:56pm

Completely agree Jim C.

Good conclusion to this topic......

Keith...
andy_cherub View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote andy_cherub Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Apr 05 at 12:59pm

Indeed Jim!

PS - you comming to Weymouth this wknd?

Andy

-12ft skiff, Team 'CST Composites'
-Many thanks goes out to all of my sponsors.
Ignore my user name, my views are of a 12ft skiff
49erGBR735HSC View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote 49erGBR735HSC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Apr 05 at 7:12pm
Originally posted by mpl720

You cannot expect to make some sort of 'profit' out of a boat policy surely !!  Get real - you pay say £ 200 more than 3rd party cover per year and then have to accept say a £ 100 excess anyway and if you claim you pay extra for 3-5 years afterwards - that is the reality.  Work out the likely full costs sometime - it's a no brainer for most of us.  All comprehensive cover does is spread the cost out over the long term but it's not a free service - why should it be !?.....  If you can justify it go 3rd party and accept the occasional 'hit' fairly - its a racing cost and dinghy racing is a relative bargain anyway.  If you want to have a go at someone start  with the 'sole supply manufacturers'  who seem to have a license to rip you and the insurers off in the first place ...

ISO 1170

I think talking about insurance and boat suppliers prices is opening a can of worms in reality. No much how much we discuss it, nothing will change. I'm thinking about shopping about on my policy next season because over 4 years I've put in one claim and had 50% surcharge added to my premium, which ammounts to more than they were paying out in the first place. You can't deny insurance premiums for High Performance boats are sky high, but I suppose it comes with the teritory and at the end of the day the companies have to stay in business. It does get scary when you are looking at a four figure insurance premium if you put in one claim within the next season though.

Edited by 49erGBR735HSC
Dennis Watson 49er GBR735
Helensburgh S.C
Boat Insurance from Noble Marine

Funtime View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Funtime Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Apr 05 at 12:13am

But andy what happened at the student nationals in weymouth in november chap tehe

I kinda remember how poor she was sailing upwind compared with the rest of the fleet  but having said that i was in a firefly lol

Only kiddin, i had my first sail in a performance boat in andys cherub up 't' north in the cold of winter. It was great fun, but alot of sailors like to buy these of the shelf boats as you call em. Alot of people arnt into tweeking and modifying, its not just about going as fast as you can. Its about getting round a course.

tgruitt View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote tgruitt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Apr 05 at 11:57am
i have sailed a cherub and a 29er, there is nothing you can do to a 29er except toally redesign it that would make it as good as a cherub.
Needs to sail more...
lemeouttahere View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Quote lemeouttahere Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Apr 05 at 2:11pm
no offence to anyone but in my opinion the cherub does look kinda boxy whereas the 29er has a fantastic shape and only lacks sail so 29erx should be good fun
andy_cherub View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote andy_cherub Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Apr 05 at 7:54pm

You obviously havent seen primal scream! (before its paint job!) cheurbs are boxy eh?

-12ft skiff, Team 'CST Composites'
-Many thanks goes out to all of my sponsors.
Ignore my user name, my views are of a 12ft skiff
lemeouttahere View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Quote lemeouttahere Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Apr 05 at 11:44pm

prime example, its all edges and corners, nice if thats what you like but no flow

fantastic rig tho

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 56789 10>