FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

29X or just a SMOD cherub?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 45678 10>
Author
carshalton fc View Drop Down
Really should get out more

Online Status: Offline
Post Options Post Options   Quote carshalton fc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Apr 05 at 7:10pm
yer but it will be made of card board and crisp packets!!
International 14 1503
49erGBR735HSC View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote 49erGBR735HSC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Apr 05 at 7:14pm
Now there's an idea
Dennis Watson 49er GBR735
Helensburgh S.C
Boat Insurance from Noble Marine

Ian99 View Drop Down
Posting king
Posting king

Post Options Post Options   Quote Ian99 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Apr 05 at 7:17pm

If you're "making a loss" out of the insurance, consider just having third party insurance instead. You can get third party for "Trapeze Boats" for 35 and "Hiking Boats" (including B14s and Moths!) for 20.

The biggest claim you're likely to make on full insurance is a broken mast at 1000. "Total Loss" (theft / car crash) of the boat could be a bit pricey though but is fairly easy to avoid if you're careful.

Post Options Post Options   Quote 49erGBR735HSC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Apr 05 at 7:59pm
Considering it but "what if I snap a mast or destroy a sail" keeps on popping into my head. I think this 50% charge goes if I don't claim this year, which would be nice because I'd be back down to my original premium.
Helensburgh S.C

JimC View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote JimC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Apr 05 at 9:02pm
Originally posted by carshalton fc

the worst bit about sailing is the cost and insurence companys rip us sailors off!!

Trouble is plenty of sailors rip the insurance comanies off too. What goes around comes around.
redback View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote redback Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Apr 05 at 9:13pm
I insure with Noble, they seem expensive but they do not quibble.  I think they are worth every penny.  I'm a carefull bloke but I've had a few breakages with the 4000 in the last 3 or 4 years and still I've had no complaint from Noble, although the premium has gone up.  Only to be expected.

Post Options Post Options   Quote 49erGBR735HSC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Apr 05 at 9:13pm
Shame for the rest of us who claim genuinely because it affects all of our premiums doesn't it. Thought we were meant to be discussing Cherubs and 29ers, sorry to bog everyone down with insurance topics. Back to the point, if I had kids, I'd buy them a 29er when they were the right size but in the future I'd geniunely consider buying a Cherub for myself, amazing boats with so much you can do to them. The 29er and 29erX are great boats but the Cherub, although similar, is so different because it's a development class and I think thats where the boundary lies. If you want a straight out of the box boat, the 29er is ideal but the Cherub is a boat that will probably grow with you and with the development of the boats, the future seems unlimited for the Cherub. 
Helensburgh S.C

mpl720 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote mpl720 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Apr 05 at 10:05pm

You cannot expect to make some sort of 'profit' out of a boat policy surely !!  Get real - you pay say 200 more than 3rd party cover per year and then have to accept say a 100 excess anyway and if you claim you pay extra for 3-5 years afterwards - that is the reality.  Work out the likely full costs sometime - it's a no brainer for most of us.  All comprehensive cover does is spread the cost out over the long term but it's not a free service - why should it be !?.....  If you can justify it go 3rd party and accept the occasional 'hit' fairly - its a racing cost and dinghy racing is a relative bargain anyway.  If you want to have a go at someone start  with the 'sole supply manufacturers'  who seem to have a license to rip you and the insurers off in the first place ...

ISO 1170

Granite View Drop Down
Far too distracted from work
Far too distracted from work

Post Options Post Options   Quote Granite Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Apr 05 at 9:24am
Back on Cherubs and 29ers The Cherub has verry good burst speed and probably more importantly a better feeling of speed than any other boat I have sailed.
Stitching those bursts of speed  together to get round the course is difficult. As the boat is so short when you drop out of the groove you are punished harder than with a hull like the 29er's which has a smoother drag curve.

On a good day you can beat L4000 on the water on a bad day Lasers will beat you
If it doesn't break it's too heavy; if it does it wasn't built right
Blobby View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Blobby Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Apr 05 at 9:49am

In the same way RS800s and Int 14s co-exist, there will be people who prefer the SMOD and those that want a development class.

If the 29erX is a rip-off of the new Cherub rules, then presumably the 29er was a rip-off of the 97 rules Cherubs!  (As was the Laser 2 back in those days).  It is not really surprising since the Bethwaites were serious Cherub sailors in the '70s. 

Fundamentally, both boats are generally intended for lightweight crews who want high performance.  Therefore physics being what it is, with boats of the same width and crew weight and number of wires, they are going to be pretty similar.

At the end of the day though, the Cherub is about 30Kg lighter than a 29er so its ultimate speed should be higher.  But when it comes to handicaps, 2 1/2 feet extra on a 29er makes an enormous difference...

I still say that on a Cherub you do not HAVE to keep tweaking and modifying things.  It is just that the people who own them enjoy doing that...while 29er sailors just try and glue pro-grip in the dagger board cases, swop blocks, add shock cord to this that and the other etc etc etc

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 45678 10>