FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Symetric Spinnaker

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 4567>
Author
Ian99 View Drop Down
Posting king
Posting king

Online Status: Offline
Post Options Post Options   Quote Ian99 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Symetric Spinnaker
    Posted: 05 May 05 at 12:16pm

If there's string in there you don't use at least once a race, rip it out and replace it with something simpler.

I'm currently fitting out my new boat, and when I eventually get it on the water I expect some people will be suprised just how simple it is. (only kicker, pole height and jib leech tension are led back to the helm).

I'm a bit worried it might come in underweight when I get it measured though

lemeouttahere View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Quote lemeouttahere Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 May 05 at 5:49pm
howd you do away with the string then? share the love!
Ian99 View Drop Down
Posting king
Posting king

Post Options Post Options   Quote Ian99 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 May 05 at 10:18am

Getting rid of the strut removes quite a bit of string - it's not the best system anyway as it's very difficult to replicate exact positions. That's been replaced with chocks on my new boat.

The outhaul and cunningham are staying well and truly at the front on the mast and boom.

Jib sheet sideways position is not as vital as the up/down and has been implemented with sliders and plungers.

Obviously the loose string (mainsheet, jibsheet, spinnaker sheet) remains, but I'm currently thinking about doing the mainsheet skiff style with the ratchet on the boom - this will really open up a lot of space in the cockpit. This will mean I can't have a mainsheet cleat, but with shorter races the "getting tired" reason for using it has gone, and I very rarely cleat the mainsheet now.

I would post a photo, but the boat is very string free at the moment as most of the fittings are still in a box in the garage rather than screwed on the boat

gary View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Quote gary Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 May 05 at 10:22am

I like the idea of keeping it as simple as possible, but your gonna need that cunningham at the back of the boat!

Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Quote lemeouttahere Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 May 05 at 10:46am

yeh i cant really see how having the outhaul and cunningham forward is going to work coz u cant really get the crew to do the ajustments coz the helm knows better what the sails doing/wants.

as for the strut, hmm i dont reckon chocks would be any good for us, theyd get blasted out by the water that tends to rush about on the foredeck!!!! thats a narrow bow for ya!!

skiff styl main is a good idea tho then the crew can play it with a much better purchase angle and view.

are you going to the worlds? or better still the brightlingsea open? if so fancy showing off your layout?

Ian99 View Drop Down
Posting king
Posting king

Post Options Post Options   Quote Ian99 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 May 05 at 11:55am

The cunningham and outhaul are fairly "on" or "off" type controls which can usually wait until the next tack. The only time the outhaul is really crucial is in "no kicker" conditions when there's not much wind and so leaning forward to adjust isn't an issue.

I don't think you'd have a problem with chocks washing out - there should be so many in there (on both sides of the mast) the last one has to almost be hammered in. Any slight slop at deck level is magnified massively at the top of the rig. With the strut there is always a small amount as the thing moves around on its bearings.

I'm not planning on letting the crew have the mainsheet most of the time - there's too much to do with the jib in most conditions. I've experimented a bit with the mainsheet off the boom and it's a much nicer angle to pull in from the helm hiking position - doesn't scrape all up your leg and wear out the wetsuit. (And I think the angle will put less strain on my back - it's all too tempting to "put you back into it" when pulling in the mainsheet when it's breezy!)

I will be at the worlds ... and hopefully quite a few opens once it's sorted. I'm aiming for Blackwater (early June) at the moment as it's first proper outing.

Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Quote lemeouttahere Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 May 05 at 12:14pm

fair points though i would suggest you try givin the crew the sheet an you taking the jib.

i think i'll stick with my strut for now seems to work ok but mabe the main sheet, hmmm is it clas legal?

Jamie View Drop Down
Posting king
Posting king

Post Options Post Options   Quote Jamie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 May 05 at 12:43pm
Originally posted by lemeouttahere

yeh i cant really see how having the outhaul and cunningham forward is going to work coz u cant really get the crew to do the ajustments coz the helm knows better what the sails doing/wants.

Disagree here, especially if the crew is on the wire. The crew has a far better veiw of the rig than the helm.

The system being advocated more and more amongst the FD fleet, in britain at least is that when the helm feels something is wrong they tell the crew. The crew has a good look at the rig and then the crew makes the ajustment by telling the helm what string to pull.

Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Quote lemeouttahere Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 May 05 at 1:48pm

i tend to go by feel and you cant tell the crew what to do to make it feel right       i spent years on mirrors an such trying to tell the crew what to do to make the sail feel right an then when i got a fireball it all became so much easier.

another thing is if the crew is flat out an you wana loose a bit of power with ya cuningham the crew would need to lean in to reach the controls or the helm needs to go forward for them both not very good on boat speed, handeling or ease.

like i said though a main sheet coming of the boom to the crew with their better view of the sail as a whole.

gary View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Quote gary Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 May 05 at 9:13pm

I remember someone sailing a fireball 49er style at an open at Hayling a couple of years ago, didn't seem to make a great deal of difference either way.

In our boat I (crew!) take the main sheet from time to time when the helm has to tidy up my mess from the spinny drop, but other than that I think it works best as it is.

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 4567>