FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Cleaning GRP boats

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
Author
alio_mci View Drop Down

Online Status: Offline
Post Options Post Options   Quote alio_mci Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Cleaning GRP boats
    Posted: 05 Apr 05 at 9:52pm

Has anyone got any tips on cleaning a Hobie 405 so that it will become white again.

Ali McInnes(hobie 405 no.297)
Leeds
KnightMare View Drop Down
Really should get out more

Post Options Post Options   Quote KnightMare Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Apr 05 at 10:04pm

ok well looking at peoples advice to a friend of mine these were the sugestions:

http://flipside.co.uk/~sailsport/cgi-bin/ss.cgi?&page=sh owitem&pid=SBSTAR1 
a product used at someones club (I forget what class uses it a lot- but aparently it works)

Astonish has been mentioned and aparently was recomended by PBO and is nice and cheap.

Another alternative is Jif/Cif stuff (or other household cleaner)

Hope that gave some ideas, Hopefuly other people will be able to give more specific advice.

redback View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote redback Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Apr 05 at 11:28pm
Rubbing compound as used in car body work finishing.  It takes a very thin layer off and if you want a good shine finish with "T Cut".
catmandoo View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote catmandoo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Apr 05 at 1:07pm

oxallic acid is the "mutts Nutts" , the best way to restore white boats to white ,easiest , quickest , unbelievable !

First time I tried it I was gobbsmacked it took me 30 yrs to discover !, being a natural sceptic , I rarely believed the claims of boat cleaners claims and before oxallic never found any particualy effective .

Look out for grp cleaners that contain a high concentration of oxallic acid (check ingrediant list ) .

It does the work of 10 hrs meticullous t cutting (bar blending in scratches) in 10 mins !!!!!!!.

All you do is slapp it on with a big floppy paint brush , have a jaw with a mate for 10 mins and hose off !!!!!!!!! and you will not believe the difference , an instant night and day result !!!

To make matters even better , you can make your own , buy a box of oxallic acid crystals from your chemist and mix up your own - disolve as much as you can into warm water , add detergent to thicken , and your off, I just did a yellowed 32 foot  yacht in 30 mins !!! and made up was probably better than mixes off the shelf

As with all preparations that burnish the top layer of gel coat it is best to apply a layer of polish to seal in the results .This applies to T cutting , polishing pastes etc

Oxallic acid I believe froms from fruit (lemons etc) but the forum nerds will clarify that, it is adsvised to wear gloves , googles, but it only nips a bit ! 

ABOVE ALL , IT REALLY WORKS, CHEAP, EASY , FAST ,ASTONISHING RESULTS, AND I'M DEAD IMPRESSED IF YOU HADN'T GUESSED.

Buzz View Drop Down
Posting king
Posting king

Post Options Post Options   Quote Buzz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Apr 05 at 1:57pm
Hi catmandoo, you are right Oxalic acid is effective stuff but check out the thread called 'little black marks' for a link detailing what precautions should be taken when using it.
redback View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote redback Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Apr 05 at 11:47pm
Oxalic acid, is found in Rhubarb
KnightMare View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote KnightMare Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Apr 05 at 3:14pm
yeah its from Rhubarb, And it is classed as highly poisenous.
Pierre View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Pierre Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Apr 05 at 3:57pm

From Rhubarb leaves to be exact.......

Doctor Clifford View Drop Down
Far too distracted from work
Far too distracted from work

Post Options Post Options   Quote Doctor Clifford Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Apr 05 at 4:18pm
Use a product called Y10.
Don't know what the ingredients are, but it looks like blue hair gel (if you
use such nonsense) and the hull goes white before your very eyes!
hose it off and Bob is surely your Uncle!
job done..
regards
Dr. Clifford

take two tablets twice daily
stuarthop View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote stuarthop Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Apr 05 at 10:32pm
if its not too bad pressure washing sometimes helps

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>