FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Laser 2000 vs Magno vs RS Vision vs ?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Heatrick View Drop Down

Online Status: Offline
Post Options Post Options   Quote Heatrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Laser 2000 vs Magno vs RS Vision vs ?
    Posted: 01 Apr 05 at 9:21pm

Hello,

I'm trying to choose a dinghy to keep in the North of Scotland for use initially only during vacations. (Next year we may relocate to Scotland and I can use it more often).

I'm 38, with a lot more enthusiasm than experience having done some windsurfing and done dinghy sailing (lasers mostly) on holidays.

I've phoned the local sailing club and they race handicap races with a mixture of single and double handed. All that I know just now is that they have a few Lasers and a few Phantoms as well as some double handers.

I would like to race double handers calling in even less experienced relatives to crew.

I'm not planning on winnning many races but would like to be able to at least be in the mix rather than bringing up the rear.

Am planning on keeping it outdoors.

Budget is flexible, I'm more concerned about getting good value and not buying unecessary kit.

Would like to be able to potter about on my own, or with friends, as well as race double handed.

Have been thinking of 2nd hand Laser 2000, or Topaz Magno or RS Vision.

From the Handicap numbers it looks like the Vision (1078) would be the fastest followed by the Laser 2000 (1086) and then the Magno (1200). I'm assuming from these figures that the Laser and Vision should be able to keep up with the single handers but maybe not the Magno. Shame because I like the size and durability of the Magno, but if it's doomed to be last always then I would get demoralised (I don't care about how the handicap resolves the position I just want to be in amongst the others)

Any recommendations??

Thanks

David

David H Davidson
49erGBR735HSC View Drop Down
Really should get out more

Post Options Post Options   Quote 49erGBR735HSC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Apr 05 at 9:36pm
If it helps any, there is a good number of 2000s in Scotland especially at Loch Venechar. I like the 2000 but haven't sailed the RS Vision yet. Either way, I don't think you'd go wrong with either the RS or Laser. Why not try and arrange a test sail of all the boats. I know Bosun's locker at South Queensferry would allow you to have a demo sail of the Topper and RS and I'm sure Laser would be happy to let you have a test sail of the 2000. Contact Sandy Mcphail at Dalgety Bay for a test in Scotland.
Dennis Watson 49er GBR735
Helensburgh S.C
Boat Insurance from Noble Marine

Heatrick View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Heatrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Apr 05 at 9:51pm

Thanks, yes I'd looked at the Bosun's locker website, they have some 2nd hand boats including the Magno.

Actually it's North of Scotland I would be sailing (Findhorn).

btw, my old man was from Helensburgh, used to do some sailing there I believe

David H Davidson

Post Options Post Options   Quote 49erGBR735HSC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Apr 05 at 10:38pm
Originally posted by Heatrick

Thanks, yes I'd looked at the Bosun's locker website, they have some 2nd hand boats including the Magno.

Actually it's North of Scotland I would be sailing (Findhorn).

btw, my old man was from Helensburgh, used to do some sailing there I believe

Did he sail 505s, Albacores or Enterprises by any chance?

The clubhouse is still the same but we've mainly got Cats, Assymetrics, Lasers and Toppers now. Still a few of the older classes in the dinghy park which is a shame because we used to have fleets larger than 20 in the Ent's, Albacores and 50h's, would have loved to see it. Mind you the variety of the fleets we have now is quite impressive in comparision to 10 years ago.
Helensburgh S.C

Wave Rider View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Wave Rider Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Apr 05 at 10:51pm

I sail at two different clubs and one of them (not Chew) has pretty much all older boats because of our very light winds at time and the fleets we have are:

Topper (i don't keep my boat there because they arent really into the youth squads etc)

British moth (quite a few because they plane in about 10 knots and still move when nothing else will)

Lightning 368 (still good in light winds but will go some in heavy wind)

Comet Duo (Im sure most people have gathered my views on Comets duo's but i guess they are hard to beat on PY in light stuff)

Laser (they are everywhere but theyre handicap on the river is crap an you have to win by miles to actually win)

Graduate (not bad i guess)

Mercury (Huge)

Enterprise (hmm)

Wanderer (ummmm another bugger to get out the water)

Mirror (Wierd but it seesm that the Mirrors at our club are sailed by adults not kids)?

And recently a few different boats like the Vareo but thank god i go to 2 clubs which lets me be on the high performance side of things!

-[Franko]-
Chew Valley Lake Sailing Club
           RS600 933

Post Options Post Options   Quote 49erGBR735HSC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Apr 05 at 11:11pm

Funnily enough I enjoy sailing the older classes when not doing my skiff racing stuff. Love 505s, 470s, Laser 2s and have a strange obsession with Wayfarers.......

Helensburgh S.C

redback View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote redback Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Apr 05 at 10:02am
Heatrick, don't get too hung up on the PYs.  The numbers you quote are all within about 2%, 1 bad windshift is more significant as is whether the boat suits the water.  Laser IIs have been around a long time so can be cheap, the others are I believe asymmetrics and so probably at a disadvantage in the light winds, not that the Laser II is great in the light stuff.
Heatrick View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Heatrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Apr 05 at 10:49am

Interesting comment on the PYs I can see that the 2000 and the Vision would be closely matched, but do you think the Magno could keep up? It seems to suit me best in terms of size, price and durability.

The 2nd hand price of Laser 2s looks attractive, but my assumption is that it would be a more challenging boat than the others and with trapezes probably requires a more experienced helm and crew?

David H Davidson
lsrguru View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote lsrguru Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Apr 05 at 2:44pm
2000 is easy to trapeze off, is nice and stable and isn't plastic, so will hold it's price well in resale! Plus the laser dealer up in scotland is a nice guy, Duncan Hepplewhite
Stefan Lloyd View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Stefan Lloyd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Apr 05 at 3:28pm

Originally posted by Heatrick

The 2nd hand price of Laser 2s looks attractive, but my assumption is that it would be a more challenging boat than the others and with trapezes probably requires a more experienced helm and crew?

If your objective is to take inexperienced relatives sailing, I wouldn't consider a trapeze boat.

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>