FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Star

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
ellistine View Drop Down
Really should get out more

Online Status: Offline
Post Options Post Options   Quote ellistine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Star
    Posted: 15 Sep 09 at 9:14pm

Now I know I'm new to sailing and everything but who has the Star at the top of their "ooh I wish I could sail that" list?

Neither of them look like their enjoying it, gold medal or not!

Edited by ellistine
JohnW View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote JohnW Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Sep 09 at 10:43pm

On the list yes, but not at the top.

I cant help thinking that in the photo above that the COG of the helm and crew are both about the same way out from the centre line, but the drop hike position seems to be more strenuous by the look on Bart's face. 

Peter Rhodes View Drop Down
Posting king
Posting king

Post Options Post Options   Quote Peter Rhodes Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Sep 09 at 11:12pm
why do star sailors use that odd stlye of hiking? I've not seen it absolutely anywhere else
Rupert View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Rupert Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Sep 09 at 11:55am
And how the hell do you get back on board when something happens and you need to crash tack?
Firefly 2324, Puffin 229, Minisail 3446 Mirror 70686
JimC View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote JimC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Sep 09 at 12:05pm
Originally posted by Peter Rhodes

why do star sailors use that odd stlye of hiking?

Its seen in some other leadmines. Ynglings and Solings I believe. I think the theory is that its a bit less work than straight leg hiking, but nearly as effective, especially when the boat heels.

For it to work the class has to permit toestraps (most keel boats don't), have lots of freeboard, and not be likely to suddenly heel to windward!

Mind you there are worse things about - the standard large leadmine method of hanging face down with your waist over a thin wire (called a life line!) in the "I am being seasick" position has to rank as about the silliest way to sail a boat at all, and there are boats that have neither toe straps nor the "lifelines" in which the crew lies vaguely along the gunwhale, and I think crews in the American scows, which have two daggerboards, one on each side, are sometimes seen balanced on the windward daggerboard!
Contender 541 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Contender 541 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Sep 09 at 1:20pm
It looks to me like Bart is wearing a harness and trapeze line!!
When you find a big kettle of crazy it's probably best not to stir it - Pointy Haired Boss

Crew on 505 8780

alstorer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote alstorer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Sep 09 at 1:48pm
I've been marvelling at the pictures of Chespeake Log Canoes- massive sailing canoes with three planks. Loose planks. To tack them, they pick the plank up, man handle it across, then wedge the end in under a lip in the middle of the boat. Two people out on each plank. Mental.
-_
Al
ASok View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote ASok Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Sep 09 at 2:26pm

Originally posted by JimC

Originally posted by Peter Rhodes

why do star sailors use that odd stlye of hiking?

Its seen in some other leadmines. Ynglings and Solings I believe. I think the theory is that its a bit less work than straight leg hiking, but nearly as effective, especially when the boat heels.

For it to work the class has to permit toestraps (most keel boats don't), have lots of freeboard, and not be likely to suddenly heel to windward!

Mind you there are worse things about - the standard large leadmine method of hanging face down with your waist over a thin wire (called a life line!) in the "I am being seasick" position has to rank as about the silliest way to sail a boat at all, and there are boats that have neither toe straps nor the "lifelines" in which the crew lies vaguely along the gunwhale, and I think crews in the American scows, which have two daggerboards, one on each side, are sometimes seen balanced on the windward daggerboard!

Guard rails - I'd call them.  And its not all about having a cuppa and bacon roll when racing yachts round the cans - you've got to get the crew working for it!

Hiking over the guard rails is fine on a majority of yachts.  Most newer racer crusiers don't have a toe rail along the hiking section of the boat, so its not as uncomfortable as you'd think.  Just tuck the wire under your gut and lean out!

The worst type of boats are the Sigma's - those toe rails really hurt your backside when hiking!

Isis View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Isis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Sep 09 at 2:55pm
Originally posted by ASok

The worst type of boats are the Sigma's - those toe rails really hurt your backside when hiking!

Get yer ass off the deck and hike harder then!
JimC View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote JimC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Sep 09 at 3:01pm
Originally posted by ASok

Hiking over the guard rails is fine on a majority of yachts. 

Well, no, its not fine: its damn silly that instead of looking at sail set, or wind spotting or looking out for other boats or even just enjoying the scenery a significant percentage of the crew are busy looking at their toes and the topsides...
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>