FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Lightning ?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345 6>
Author
headfry View Drop Down
Far too distracted from work
Far too distracted from work

Online Status: Offline
Post Options Post Options   Quote headfry Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Lightning ?
    Posted: 08 Apr 05 at 5:05pm
the bit about water being a good conductor......this is basic stuff, but if lightning strikes the water will it kill all the fish for miles around the point of strike   
Garry View Drop Down
Really should get out more

Post Options Post Options   Quote Garry Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Apr 05 at 6:33pm
seawater is a good conductor. Therefore with the boat upright you have a long pointed mast attached to an efficient earth. If you capsize the boat you no longer have a conductor pointing skywards. There are two risks from electricity the first is that current flows through your body. If you are swimming in a good conductor your body is unlikely to be the path of least resistance to Earth is not through you. The second is if you are close to the point of energy discharge where you might suffer burns from the flash or be showered with debris if something like a mast explodes.

While I don't know what the impact on fish would be I would only expect those very close to the point of the strike and near the surface to be affected.

Garry

Lark 2252, Contender 298

www.cuckoos.eclipse.co.uk
Stefan Lloyd View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Stefan Lloyd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Apr 05 at 6:39pm

Originally posted by Garry

If you are swimming in a good conductor your body is unlikely to be the path of least resistance to Earth is not through you.

But we are also made mostly from salty water, so we are quite good conductors too. I agree capsizing will greatly reduce the chance of a strike, but I still think if you are unlucky enough to be in the area of a major strike, you are toast.

Yann View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Yann Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Apr 05 at 2:12pm
how does a carbon mast with metal wings sound, get exploding red hot carbon splinters and your standing on a highly conductive bar. Perfect.
GBR176671 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Quote GBR176671 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Apr 05 at 10:35pm
nice, sounds nasty
swim when your winning
hydrographer20 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote hydrographer20 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Apr 05 at 11:02pm
omg that sounds horrible lol ,  well yeh being drtuk by lighting whilst sailnig would scare the  outta me
byte me!- GBR 814
KnightMare View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote KnightMare Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Apr 05 at 11:04pm
yeah but ud light up like a christmas tree, 'seen' it done, all the fittings go bye bye.
Black no sugar View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Black no sugar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Apr 05 at 1:40am
Hmm I'm not sure if hydro would go in such extremes to be in the Picture of the Week topic!
Black no sugar View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Black no sugar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Apr 05 at 1:48am

Fancy a sail at night, off the Atlantic coast?

You'll see more awesome pix on http://ppfeyte.free.fr/orages/storm3.html.

Anyway, I thought there were grounding devices made for sailing boats and yachts. Are they any good?

Edited by Black no sugar
hydrographer20 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote hydrographer20 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Apr 05 at 8:29am
oh ym that would give u a little buzz if u were hit by that bolt of lighting probobly would be a horrible but interesting thing to watch just as long as it wasnt happening to me
byte me!- GBR 814
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345 6>