FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

laser 2

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
pro wannabe View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Online Status: Offline
Post Options Post Options   Quote pro wannabe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: laser 2
    Posted: 30 Mar 05 at 9:28pm

my instructer has got a regatta, and my uncle has got a fun but ive seen a fun with traps, and on a weekend getaway to a lake i saw a fun with traps and a aysemmetric? and what on earth is a laser 2 world? LOL

Your spinni aint as big as your mouth!
NickA View Drop Down
Really should get out more

Post Options Post Options   Quote NickA Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Mar 05 at 9:56pm

I've got a laser 2 fun with trapeze wires (thought they all did) - totally essential if you want to single hand in a breeze.  No spinnaker tho.

Someone at our club has a laser 2 fun "new wave" with a strange "bolt on" asymetric.

The laser 2 regatta is the only one you can get new now - symetric kite and trapeze.

Not a clue what a laser 2 2world" would be - probably a graphics job, like the laser 2 graffiti (which is a regatta with a paint job).

Do I know a bit too much about laser 2s?????  Sad.

JimC View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote JimC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Mar 05 at 11:00pm
Originally posted by NickA

Someone at our club has a laser 2 fun "new wave" with a strange "bolt on" asymetric.

That's a Laser 3000 isn't it (or more or less!)
carshalton fc View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote carshalton fc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Mar 05 at 9:02am
but the laser 2 has a very similar hull to a laser so if they both had the same rig the laser 2 would probily win!
International 14 1503
JimC View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote JimC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Mar 05 at 9:12am
Originally posted by carshalton fc

but the laser 2 has a very similar hull to a laser

I must get round to turning one over and having a good look. The L2 looks superficially very similar to a Laser but I'm not sure how much of that is deck layout/interior/topside height. Its suprisingly difficult to "zoom in" your eye and ignore the above water stuff. Frank Bethwaite has claimed that the L2 is basically a smoothed and lengthened version of the Hush Puppy Cherub design that Nicola and Julian won the '76 Cherub worlds with, and that original certainly looked very little like a Laser.

49erGBR735HSC View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote 49erGBR735HSC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Mar 05 at 10:44am

From what I can remember, there were three phases of the Laser 2. The original Laser 2, the Laser 2 Reggatta and the Laser Fun. As fore-mentioned, the fun was a 2 with an assymetric probably with a slightly different main and jib. The original 2 was the early version with one piece mast and spinnaker bags, and the reggatta was a development with a two-piece mast and spinnaker chute. As for the Laser 2 World, it was just a design type, like the Techno and Accent (I think). I think the worlds had blue annodised spars, nicer ropes, gorrilla tiller, etc, just extras to make her look nicer.There are probably second and third versions of the Worlds boats now that don't even have these characteristics knowing Laser.  All Laser 2's (with the exception of the Fun) have to meet strict one design specification, so appart from looking nicer than each other, they have to be the same non-aesthetically. Still love Laser 2s now even although its been ages since I sailed one.

Dennis Watson 49er GBR735
Helensburgh S.C
Boat Insurance from Noble Marine

DannySimpson View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote DannySimpson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Mar 05 at 11:33am

Is it just me or are the Laser II and byte hull almost identical in shape?

OmegaPiZeta
NickA View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote NickA Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Mar 05 at 1:30pm

The laser II and laser 3000 have the same hull.  But the 3k has a totally different deck and sails. 

Upside down (a common view), my laser II and laser I look just the same.  The laser II is just longer, fatter (and heavier). 

Is it really based on a Cherub? The L2 L3k bottom is rounded & chine free  -  and specially designed to shoot water in the face of any crew that isn't trapezing, which is a great incentive to get out on the wire.. but I digress..

JimC View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote JimC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Mar 05 at 1:59pm
Originally posted by NickA

Is it really based on a Cherub? The L2 L3k bottom is rounded & chine free

Read it here on the Laser 2 web site.... I assume they know!

I'm not saying that you're wrong in thinking its just like a Laser, but evaluating underwater hull shape is suprisingly difficult if its not something you do regularly. From memory, and I haven't really looked at one properly, the L2 certainly has a firmer turn of bilge and more vertical topsides.

There's a few words from Nicola Bethwaite about her Cherub career here.

Edited by JimC
bISOtted View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote bISOtted Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Mar 05 at 8:50pm

the laser 2 and the 3000 hulls are not even close to the same the 3000 is self draining and has a much harder chine and less rocker where as the two isnt self draining and has a very round chine and more rocker
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>