FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Dave Ovington dies

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 345
Author
MandyH View Drop Down

Online Status: Offline
Post Options Post Options   Quote MandyH Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Dave Ovington dies
    Posted: 31 Mar 05 at 11:40am

I didn't know Dave all that well, but remember him around Tynemouth SC when I was younger. I remember how he always had a smile on his face and he'd always make some chit chat with you even if he didn't know you! I also remember training at Tynemouth on a Friday night with his son Adam, whilst we messed around in Toppers!

Dave was an inspiration to sailing up here in the North. May it long continue. He does us Northerner's proud!!

Sincere wishes to his family and all his close friends, namely, Ian and Lorry at Ovington Boats.

Laser 5000 GBR 5287
JRW14GBR View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote JRW14GBR Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Mar 05 at 8:01pm

A really nice bloke, a true professional and a canny lad.

For those of you who might want to come along the funeral  service will be held at Holy Saviours Church, Tynemouth on Wednesday 6th April at 11.45 hrs. and afterwards at the Grand Hotel on the sea front at Tynemouth.

Family flowers only, donations please to the British Heart Foundation c/o E.Turnbull and Son Ltd. Albion Road.  North Shields,  NE29 0HE,  UK

If you need directions or further information and in particular if you are coming from some distance away I will try and help with sorting out accommodation.  Please contact me on any of the numbers below.

Regards,

John Williams

jrw@blueyonder.co.uk – h

jrw@nemi-cai.com – w

+44 (0) 191 253 1477 – h

+44 (0) 191 293 7000 – w

07711 753 759 - m

Si Deeley View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Si Deeley Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Apr 05 at 8:01am

Very shocked.

Was fortunate enough to meet and chat to him on a couple of occasions. A genuine guy who always seemed more than happy to help and truely loved his sport for what it is.

A very sad loss

Hector View Drop Down
Really should get out more
Really should get out more

Post Options Post Options   Quote Hector Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Apr 05 at 12:25am

A truly tragic loss.

Dave was the inspiration behind so many modern skiffs and could easily be thought of as the 'father' of uk asymmetric sailing. But of course, he never turned his back on the more traditional classes, seeing the value of all types of sailing and supporting it all.

By careful design and attention to detail and of course superb quality he also raised the standard of boatbuilding to new heights - especially in glassfibre / foam sandwich etc.

Yes  - lets have an event to celebrate his life and acheivements - and lets have it at his home club at this time of year - preferably in aid of a suitable charity.

GregWells View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote GregWells Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Apr 05 at 6:05pm
During my many years of racing I spent a lot of them in a boat built by Ovi and when I wasn't in an Ovi I was being beaten by them.   I really hope the legacy of this great man and good friend continues through his excellent company. 

Mark Jardine View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Quote Mark Jardine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Apr 05 at 12:54pm

Dave Hall at Ovington Boats has forwarded me this message from the family of Dave Ovington.

The family of Dave Ovington would like to extend their thanks and gratitude for all the wonderful messages, cards and letters they have received. Knowing that Dave was held in such high regard has helped us in this difficult time. Our thanks also for the generous donations received at the funeral and by J.Turnbull, Funeral Directors on behalf of The British Heart Foundation.

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 345