FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

What boat?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
49erGBR735HSC View Drop Down
Really should get out more

Online Status: Offline
Post Options Post Options   Quote 49erGBR735HSC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: What boat?
    Posted: 21 Apr 05 at 11:25am
Seen a lot of beginners, with the right size go and buy a 505 and do the relavant courses. It worked too, but you have to be of the right frame of mind, really enthusiastic and willing to learn. Good thing about a 505 is you never grow out of them. (and their cheap to buy)
Dennis Watson 49er GBR735
Helensburgh S.C
Boat Insurance from Noble Marine

dinghysolutions View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote dinghysolutions Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Apr 05 at 11:18am
get a flying dutchman,the only true dinghy
NickA View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote NickA Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Apr 05 at 10:08pm

Not sure a fireball would be single handable.  Anyone tried?

Laser 2 is perhaps a less good boat and  slower - but with the spinny down it's certainly single hand friendly - and with it up an interesting challenge. 

And they're so cheap!!!

redback View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote redback Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Mar 05 at 12:16am

Make sure you know what you are getting into with a wooden boat.  Here's a link to a page on the Bough Beech SC website which tells you a bit about boats.

http://homepages.rya-online.net/BoughBeechSC/boats.htm

Mike278 View Drop Down
Far too distracted from work

Post Options Post Options   Quote Mike278 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Mar 05 at 9:33pm
the fireball is a good boat . If you want more information here is a link to the class association http://www.fireball-dinghy.org.uk
Never, under any circumstances, take a sleeping pill and a laxative on the same night.
sailor.jon View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote sailor.jon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Mar 05 at 8:41pm
firebals are great boats, wiv good speed you could pick up a wooden one for next to nothing, spiniker and trapeeze
Ozzey View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Ozzey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Mar 05 at 8:35pm
I was talking to a friend of mine who's into sailing and he suggested the fireball but I've never heard of it. Anyone know if its anygood?
Pierre View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Pierre Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Mar 05 at 6:13pm
Yes a Laser 2 would do the job.  You'd get a good one fo the money.
ioanlavery View Drop Down
Posting king
Posting king

Post Options Post Options   Quote ioanlavery Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Mar 05 at 12:23pm

I would consider joining a yacht club - inland or coastal.  You can learn lots from other sailors, sail/train/race in similar boats to what they have at their clubs and, most importantly, you will have safety cover!  To launch from a random slipway with your mates and from what I gather, little experience, could be dangerous.

Have a look around your nearest club to find out what goes on there.

aka YoYo
Ozzey View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Ozzey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Mar 05 at 11:44am

To be honest I wasn't gonna join a club as the nearest 1 is about 30-45 mins away and not intrested in racing at the moment. Plus I've pretty much always sailed on coastal waters so prefer to do that although I know its gonna cost more to maintain. Plus my gran lives bout 1/4 mile from a slipway so was just gonna keep it at her house and launch it.

I'm not too worried about it going fast with 30 stones as it will rarely be this heavy. It will usually be either just me or some of my friends who are pretty light so the weight will be 15 stone most of the time and 25 stone other times.

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>