FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Gell coat repairs.

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
tmoore View Drop Down
Really should get out more

Online Status: Offline
Post Options Post Options   Quote tmoore Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Gell coat repairs.
    Posted: 13 Aug 09 at 12:00pm

Im slowly tracking down the many small leaks in my 300. The latest is right under the mast pot. The gell coat has lots of small holes in it which appear to be part of the leaky problem.

Im unsure as to how i would go about it. The gell coat is so thin in this area that there is no hole to fill. This would mean it wouldn't grip or stick and so would be useless. One option would be to grind out some of the epoxy/resin stuff in the hull to make a hole big enough to fill. Only thing is this is right under the mast base and so the more material i take out the weaker it would become and lets face it, the mast pot is pretty essential.

Any advice and past experiences here would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers Tom

Landlocked in Africa
RS300 - 410
Firefly F517 - Nutshell
Micro Magic RC yacht - Eclipse
Neptune View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Neptune Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Aug 09 at 12:06pm

Gel coat is more of a cosmetic finish so as its under the mast base I'd just pour some epoxy resin in while its still very fluid and try and level it out - will do it itseld if the boat is level.

tmoore View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote tmoore Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Aug 09 at 2:33pm
yea, the thing is the gell coat is so thin there isnt really a hole to pour it into. would it be worth making one for the resin?
Landlocked in Africa
RS300 - 410
Firefly F517 - Nutshell
Neptune View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Neptune Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Aug 09 at 3:45pm
I would have thought so long as the surface is clean it should be ok.  Its all under compression anyway and having struggled to get expoxy overruns off in teh past it should be ok.
tmoore View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote tmoore Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Aug 09 at 3:49pm
i dont understand what your reccomending me to do now. Just pour a few drops of runny resin on and let it settle out?
Landlocked in Africa
RS300 - 410
Firefly F517 - Nutshell
 Post Reply Post Reply