FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Any Ideas?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>
Author
Lucy Lee View Drop Down
Far too distracted from work

Online Status: Offline
Post Options Post Options   Quote Lucy Lee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Any Ideas?
    Posted: 30 Mar 05 at 11:03pm

Beebe,

surely if you want the ultimate high performance single hander  you want a MOTH www.int-moth.org.uk? At 8 stone you'd fly in lighter wind than the big boys, and because it is a development class you can get the rig set up to suit your weight so you can handle it in a breeze.

Who needs a spinnaker or trapeze when you can have hydofoils? That's what I'd be sailing if my helm suddenly fancied a break from the Cherub! 

We share loads of events with the mothies and they are the 2nd friendliest bunch of sailors I've ever met so I'm sure they'd give you loads of help and advice if you get in touch.

Lucy 

Fly Cherub!
Beebe View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Beebe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Mar 05 at 7:00pm
I've thought about gettin a 29er bt i've got no one to sail with as
there is a distinct lack of juniors at my club so i've been
freelance crewing for people at the club. Do you think if I
begged RS/ Topper etc they would design me one on the basis
that there is a huge market for them? . .
stuarthop View Drop Down
Really should get out more

Post Options Post Options   Quote stuarthop Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Mar 05 at 2:44pm
your about the right weight to helm a 29er

Mike278 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Mike278 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Mar 05 at 11:19am

It also depends on how competitive you want to be, as if you just want to have fun and don't mind the odd swim on windy days then you could sail an RS600/700, or other performance singlehanders.

Alternatively you could helm a twin wire cherub, and find a bigger crew.

Never, under any circumstances, take a sleeping pill and a laxative on the same night.
hydrographer20 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote hydrographer20 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Mar 05 at 10:30am
no there is a deffinate market for that kind\ of area because after a while toppers and lasers are so standard they become rarther boring.  i can thinkof a high performance dinghy for light weight sailors because they are ususally to hard to handle
byte me!- GBR 814
carshalton fc View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote carshalton fc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Mar 05 at 10:25am
the lasers are good but i can see what beebe wants and it doent excist at the moment!
International 14 1503
Harry44981! View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Harry44981! Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Mar 05 at 9:44am
Yup- I would say your at least a stone too light for a radial as well if you want to be competitve, you'd be more suited to a 4.7.
Phil eltringham View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Phil eltringham Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Mar 05 at 10:44pm

the other optons are

1: dont worry about the trapeeze and get an mx-ray or a concept 302 but neither are being made anymore or have a class association.  (then again you could modify them to high heaven and still sail off the old handicap with noone the wiser)

Or 2: get a two handed boat, there are plenty to choose from, and you are about the right weight to crew on most of the smaller trapeeze/asymmetric boats on the market. 

Secret option C: get someone to design a 'youth' version of the musto skiff/700

FLAT IS FAST!
Shifts Happen
Contender443 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Contender443 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Mar 05 at 10:25pm

I think there is a definite market place here for a lightweigt trapeze single hander for juniors, ladies and smaller men.

I am 6 foot tall and 87kg and obviously sail a Contender.

Black No Sugar fancies a go on my boat but in the long term she would struggle. In particular righting after a capsize - the weight of the rig plus water on the sail makes it hard. I am sure this is also the case with the other boats mentioned.

Then for some light weights the sheet loads may also be too much and finally handling the boat on the beach.

Why should the Laser radial, 4.7, Topper or Byte be the only options? 

Bonnie Lass Contender 1764
ioanlavery View Drop Down
Posting king
Posting king

Post Options Post Options   Quote ioanlavery Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Mar 05 at 9:46pm
not necessarily ... guess it'll come down to what experience you have of trapezing.
What about a twin trapeze boat? At least you can then get a heavy crew to help equalise the weight  !!
aka YoYo
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>