FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

class forums

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
Author
G.R.F. View Drop Down
Really should get out more

Online Status: Offline
Post Options Post Options   Quote G.R.F. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: class forums
    Posted: 14 Aug 09 at 4:29pm
I think it would have made sense long ago for Y&Y to host class forums
alongside this one.

The two other classes I've subscribed, well nearly I still haven't managed
to get on the Blaze forum much to my consternation, are on Yahoo and
what a trial that is..

Imv Y&Y always used to be about class news, and classes shouldn't be too
averse to publicising how 'jolly' they all are side by side and it would liven
this forum up a bit, it does get quiet.

Probably too late now since most of them appear to have their own thing
going on, but damn the Blaze lot need to wake up.. Forum membership
should be instant.

Edited by G.R.F.
Matt Jackson View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Matt Jackson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Jul 09 at 1:08pm

I have always found joining a CA forum is a good way of finding out how active (or not) the class is, and what the people are like before buying ito it. I expect most classes say they are friendly, inviting, lively etc but I like to judge for myself.

It is also a great place to find out what to look for in a second-hand boat to get an idea of value and to get bimbling advice. Classes that have their information/forum members-only are (big grey) pants.

Forum hosting is readily available though and if you are interested in more than one class (and you're lucky) they might be on the same host making a few less logins to remember.

Graduate 2157, Laser 147050
MerlinMags View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Quote MerlinMags Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Jul 09 at 9:25am
Oddly enough the spambots never hit the forum (hmm, I shouldn't have said that) but they did hit the photo gallery comments all the time. I had to introduce a special way to detect humans: show 3 small pictures and ask user to click the boat!

http://www.merlinrocket.co.uk/gallery/view_photo.asp?folder= gallery/salcombe_week/2008&file=salcombeweek2008_capsize1.jp g
timeintheboat View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote timeintheboat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Jul 09 at 9:33pm
Merlin forum is great. I don't have one (unfortunately) but it is highly entertaining. Not sure how Mags manages to keep the bots at bay.

The N12 forum is also active and of a high standard.

Like some other things - sailing is more enjoyable when you do it with someone else
Andymac View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Andymac Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Jul 09 at 3:39pm
Originally posted by ASok

class forums for smaller classes?  Surely the effort for this wouldn't be huge and they could charge a small fee or recover costs through web advertising?  I won't pretend to understand the internet traffic when related to advertising revenue, but its just a thought?

Um, that's how I started this thread....The topic appears to have widened to the good and bad of various established CA forums...nice to think somebody else is on my wavelength.

As Rupert pointed out earlier,  the Projections appear to have adopted a thread as there own forum..

Sorry got to go, the live tdf coverage is hotting up.....

ASok View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote ASok Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Jul 09 at 9:26am

Class bashing will always happen!  Its a shame that some people seem to own their boats, not join the association and then spend their energy on slating the class!

We have a very active Dart 18 forum - www.dart18.com .  Not as flash as some of the ones previously listed, but it seems to do the job and gets decent traffic.  The few trolls we do have moan about the class being static and the boat not evolving, but they normally only surface once a year and they are always the same people - shame!

Edit - Just a thought but would there be any mileage in Y&Y hosting class forums for smaller classes?  Surely the effort for this wouldn't be huge and they could charge a small fee or recover costs through web advertising?  I won't pretend to understand the internet traffic when related to advertising revenue, but its just a thought?

Edited by ASok
Merlinboy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Merlinboy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Jul 09 at 7:51pm
Can i just say Mags you do a sterling job with the Merlin Website.  The Forum is probably the most active dinghy forum out there.  Fantastic.  I think it would be a good idea for there to be a classes section of the forum with sub categories/threads for each class.  Trouble is moderating the class bashing that will inevitably happen!
Rupert View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Rupert Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Jul 09 at 2:24pm
Of course, the Projection 762 appear to have just used a thread as their forum for a long time now!
Firefly 2324, Lightning 130, Puffin 229, Minisail 3446
alstorer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote alstorer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Jul 09 at 1:54pm
B14 forum is open to all, though thanks to an unfixed bug in the installation you have to mail the admin after registering. This does, though help keep out anon posters and spammers. I think especially with doublehanders completely open is good, as in most only the owner of the boat will be a paid CA member. Plenty of friendly banter as well as damn good advice present. Well used by both the Aussie and UK fleets, though I think the nascent French fleet doesn't always manage to follow what's going on.
-_
Al
MerlinMags View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Quote MerlinMags Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Jul 09 at 1:41pm
I've always kept the Merlin Rocket forum open to all - in fact you dont even have to register to post a comment. I wanted newcomers to feel able to ask questions easily, and thus be more inclined to get involved with the class.

Of course, we then get a small percentage of people hiding behind anonymous aliases, and making snide comments...but they are thankfully few.

I don't see why anything on a forum should be restricted to members only. Other info on a website, maybe, but not in the forum.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>