FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Jib sheets

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
Author
headfry View Drop Down
Far too distracted from work

Online Status: Offline
Post Options Post Options   Quote headfry Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Jib sheets
    Posted: 21 Mar 05 at 2:27pm
Can  I have your views on this subject please............

Are continuous jib sheets a better idea than each side ( as it were ) - on an RS400

JimC View Drop Down
Really should get out more

Online Status: Online
Post Options Post Options   Quote JimC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Mar 05 at 2:36pm
Originally posted by headfry

Are continuous jib sheets a better idea

I tend to use continuous sheets on the grounds that I find that an end is about 4 times more likley to get tangled on/in something.
5420 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote 5420 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Mar 05 at 2:53pm
If you dont tiy them togever they can get sucked in by your selfe balers
moomin View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Quote moomin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Mar 05 at 3:48pm
I would say continuous sheets are a must on the 400 loose ends inside the boat will get caught and tangled and it also means the helm can get hold of them to adjust if the crew is having to concentrate on the kite.  I tie both end to the jib so there are no loose ends or knots inside the boat.  Also not going to come undone as they might if you just tie the two ends together.
Moomin
KnightMare View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote KnightMare Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Mar 05 at 5:43pm
Also I tend to hike holding onto my sheets so that I have somehting to pull back on and if worst comes to worst you can uncleat everything. If you havce continuous sheets it is easy to get hold of the 'leeward' sheet as it is attached to the end of the one you have next to you.
redback View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote redback Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Mar 05 at 6:30pm

I agree continous sheets are best.  Also good in a 400 is for the crew to tack with your back to the mast.  That way it keeps your weight forward and you don't have to duck so low since you bum fits nicely into the triangle formed by the kicker.  The jib sheets fall nicely to hand also. 

I know Headfry is probably not that interested in racing but if you are you still have to be able to tack facing forward because at the windward mark it is still required.  When tacking close to the mark you have to be able to tack, sit out hard (and slightly more aft than normal to keep the bow out)  for the bear away and then get the pole out and on completion of the bear away raise the kite.  To do that and not get completely dizzy requires a forward facing tack.  Incidentally another racing tip is don't sit on the thwart - I know its comfortable there but its too far aft unless it blowing a bit - in which case you should be sitting out!

Mike278 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Mike278 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Mar 05 at 7:18pm
though continuous jib sheets have advantages, it also comes down to personal preferance (i prefer seperate jib sheets).
Never, under any circumstances, take a sleeping pill and a laxative on the same night.
headfry View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote headfry Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Mar 05 at 9:31am
Thanks a million (again) for the invalueable help.  Think we will go for cont. jib sheets.

Redback, yes we will have a go at racing, but we don't want to mess with the good guys and spoil their racing    so we have to advance our skills first   then we will  go for it!!   Still can't believe I have a boat, wanted this from the age of 11! 

Hope to have a go at rigging her over Easter (should be fun), and if weather is calm, then it's out on the water for us!     or in the water for us!! 

Wishing you all "happy sailing over the Easter hols."
redback View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote redback Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Mar 05 at 5:29pm

Talking as someone who always races and almost never cruises (you couldn't in a 4000 anyway).  I'm always keen to encourage people to race and very tolerant of their mistakes.  Cruising is OK but there is nothing like the pressure of competition to drive yourself to higher levels of achievement, and frankly achievement is what gives the greatest satisfaction.

So Headfry, please race, you've bought a beautiful racing machine, I'm sure other racers will be helpful and tolerant and you will enjoy the boat so much more.

KnightMare View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote KnightMare Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Mar 05 at 5:32pm
yeah, I would say race. But it is upto personal choice. Also I see you have chosen cont. jib sheets.  if they are too much trouble they can always be cut into two.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>