FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Asymetric Kite.

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 4>
Author
KnightMare View Drop Down
Really should get out more

Online Status: Offline
Post Options Post Options   Quote KnightMare Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Asymetric Kite.
    Posted: 20 Mar 05 at 5:30pm

Ok im not sure if i put this in the right place, but its to do with dinghys so I thought it would be ok.

I am surently crewing an RS200, and am getting slightly confused with the kite. I can get it up and down and gybe ok, but when sailing allong i dont always know what to do with it. Like whether to let it out or not. As for years I have been used to a symetic kite, and the asym doesnt react the same.

Does anyone have any good hints of how to tell what I need to do with the kite.

Mike278 View Drop Down
Far too distracted from work

Post Options Post Options   Quote Mike278 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Mar 05 at 5:40pm
with an asymetric, you should ease the sheet until the leading edge just starts to curl, and then sheet in slightly to stop it collapsing.
Never, under any circumstances, take a sleeping pill and a laxative on the same night.

Post Options Post Options   Quote KnightMare Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Mar 05 at 5:45pm

yeh that bit i can do.

but sometimes it colapses compleatly is it better to pull it in all the way and then let it out again or just to let it out till it fills again.

Also, when the wind blows up how does this affect the kite as it seems to do strange things on out kite, (that might just be the nut on the end of the sheet)

Mike278 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Mike278 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Mar 05 at 5:48pm
when it collapses pull it in untill it fills and then let it out again.
Never, under any circumstances, take a sleeping pill and a laxative on the same night.
Spot192 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Spot192 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Mar 05 at 5:50pm
if the wind blows up you heve to be very careful with letting it in, cause if you pull too hard you could very easy capsize! if it´s collapsing completley your helm must react and luff a bit.

Post Options Post Options   Quote KnightMare Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Mar 05 at 6:04pm

thnx, that last bit spot is very useful.

ianwat2212 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Quote ianwat2212 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Mar 05 at 6:38pm
With an Asymetric there is a lot of responsibility on the helm, all the crew has to do is keep it full, the helm is largely resonsible for balance by luffing/bearing away.
Fireball RSA 14723
Simonis 35 "Scarlet Sun" SA 1500
Royal Cape Yacht Club

Post Options Post Options   Quote KnightMare Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Mar 05 at 6:46pm
Lol good good, but how do i knwo when to give feedbcak to the helm that it is wrong or shud they b able to see just by looking at it.
Lucy Lee View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Lucy Lee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Mar 05 at 7:30pm
KnightMare: as far as giving the helm feedback goes, mine says he can tell when I've taken my mind off the kite & have forgotten to trim it for a nanosecond because the steering becomes weird. Specifically when it is sheeted even slightly to far in the boat slows down and he gets lee helm which pushes him off the gunwhale if he's not in the toe straps. I'm not sure how obvious that would be in a slower boat or one where the helm is hiking not trapezing. Clearly when it is under sheeted it starts to collapse and the boat slows right down. If this happens and I have it fully sheeted I tell him I can't get it in any further so he knows it is time to bear away.  
Fly Cherub!

Post Options Post Options   Quote KnightMare Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Mar 05 at 7:42pm

yeh ok. my helm doesnt say anything.

Wow your boat sounds like a pedantic little thing.

One thing if a gust comes through and the boat speeds up, does this affect how i shoudl have the kite sheeted, if i kept it in the same place would it mean it is sheeted to far in?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 4>