FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Asymetric Kite.

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>
Author
KnightMare View Drop Down
Really should get out more

Online Status: Offline
Post Options Post Options   Quote KnightMare Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Asymetric Kite.
    Posted: 20 Mar 05 at 10:07pm

yeah i was apologising incase it was in the wrong place. And thanks fro the spelling tip mines awful

Yann View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Yann Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Mar 05 at 11:59am

One other thing is that you should look at where the kite collapses first, it is curls at the front then either you let it out too far or the helm is sailing too high. If it collapses first at the back or curls at the back and gets horribly twitchy, swinging round to windward and things then you helm is sailing too low. you should both talk about it when that happens.

Post Options Post Options   Quote KnightMare Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Mar 05 at 5:50pm
That was what I was looking for. Thank you very much.
redback View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote redback Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Mar 05 at 6:15pm
I just thought of another way the kite can collapse - its probaly more relevant to the 4000 than any other class due to the length of the pole.  In lightish winds if you bear away too quickly the sweep of the pole is to leeward and the kite is backwinded.  Naturally this doesn't happen in a decent breeze and it doesn't happen anymore to me since I've learnt that such a big heavy boat is best handled smoothly.  But I do use this effect to advantage when I gybe, I always wing wang the pole up to windward after the gybe since this scoops up a spinnaker full of air which gets the kite flying nicely out of the gybe.

Post Options Post Options   Quote KnightMare Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Mar 05 at 6:19pm
Ok, cool that thought had never even crossed my mind. will have to bear that in mind.
ioanlavery View Drop Down
Posting king
Posting king

Post Options Post Options   Quote ioanlavery Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Mar 05 at 7:28pm

A diagram I used to use when I was teaching .... might come in handy ....?

aka YoYo
pro wannabe View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Quote pro wannabe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Mar 05 at 8:41pm
mate aysemmis are fat assed jibs! trim like a jib sheets like a jib, etmittedly jibs dont have bowsprits attached to them on most boats but they do on int 14s!!!!!
Your spinni aint as big as your mouth!
Posting king
Posting king

Post Options Post Options   Quote ioanlavery Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Mar 05 at 8:48pm
I'll have to disagree with you on that ... asymmetric spinnakers are nothing like jibs. Hope I'm not the only one who thinks that !
aka YoYo
sailor girl View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote sailor girl Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Mar 05 at 10:42am
ioanlavery   i have to agree with you on that one, where are the simularities between a jib/asymmetric???
Sailor Girl, Queen Of The Forum!
Posting king
Posting king

Post Options Post Options   Quote ioanlavery Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Mar 05 at 11:04am
sailor girl !   the closest i can think of is that is another sail that the crew trim
aka YoYo
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>