FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Future Olympic Classes?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 1415161718 33>
Author
49erGBR735HSC View Drop Down
Really should get out more

Online Status: Offline
Post Options Post Options   Quote 49erGBR735HSC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Future Olympic Classes?
    Posted: 21 Apr 05 at 1:15pm
The sensible option for replacing the 470 seems to be the 505, she's never went out of fashion, lots of people love the boat already, she can be as easy or as technical as you want, good class infrastructure already and still developing at a modern pace. Plus the fact that a wide weight range can sail her sort of swings the 50'h for me. Still love the idea of the FD, but the 505 seems to make more sence.
Dennis Watson 49er GBR735
Helensburgh S.C
Boat Insurance from Noble Marine

KnightMare View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote KnightMare Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Apr 05 at 1:16pm

weird idea but in a way very sensible, I do have to say that having the RYA training etc over the years has helped I cant imagine what it must be like of classes that donthave that kinda of status, its all down the the class what training gets done etc. and some classes just tned to get thrown at the wayside to steam roll people through the expected pathways to the olympic classes. I realy thin the RYA might have to step back and think about what it is they are looking for, Future olympic champions or to develop sailing in a way that it helps everyone from club level up.

The pyramid idea sounds perfect for this, it will develop both a stong base of club level sailors and will help sailors to progress up the chain to top level sailing in a top level class.

I think the 505 seems a good idea but it seems from what has been said that the FD is part the way there already.

Edited by KnightMare
5420 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote 5420 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Apr 05 at 1:18pm
i know some people that have 505s and the genarl felling in the fleet is that they do not want to be an olinpke class but i thick it would be arsom if it was
lozza View Drop Down
Far too distracted from work

Post Options Post Options   Quote lozza Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Apr 05 at 1:18pm
i might email the local HPM and see the response for allowing alternative classes to attend RYA training events - its a start!
Life's a reach, then you gybe

Post Options Post Options   Quote 49erGBR735HSC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Apr 05 at 1:19pm
Just select the top three from every well establisheed non-funded class and race them off against each other, and decide who gets the funding out of the top placed boats. Would be a nightmare for the RYA to co-ordinate, but still seems a good idea.
Helensburgh S.C

5420 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote 5420 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Apr 05 at 1:21pm
there are a lot of good sailors out there that havenothing to do with the rya and that shood chgange give them all a chance
KnightMare View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote KnightMare Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Apr 05 at 1:26pm

yeah, what area are you, The only problem i can see with allowing other classes to to attend the events is that a lot of the training is class specific.

Though we did get one step in the right direction with out cadet zonal squad. You are suposed to have ONE zonal squad for each zone, and we ended up with 3.  One that was for people who were too young other was for people who were too old. jsut we had too many cadets in our zone.

Post Options Post Options   Quote 49erGBR735HSC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Apr 05 at 1:26pm

We've formed our own training group in Scotland which can be seen at www.scottishskiffracing.com

We've had some top training events, good racing and a lot lined up. We've got top coaches involved, Harvey Hillary is coming up in June and its all formed for a mutual love of the sport in Scotland. You must have a skiff-type boat to take part, but bar that, anyone can join. Although just started last year, it has shown some positive development and is a good example of what you can do if you put your heads together. As a result, the class sizes for the 49er and MPS are now exploding up in Scotland, so it is very beneficial for the sport as a whole too.

Helensburgh S.C

5420 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote 5420 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Apr 05 at 1:28pm
we also need to get people to move into diffrent class that would mack it easer if there where less classis
lozza View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote lozza Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Apr 05 at 1:32pm

I've had an idea,

In the olympics, as well as the OD fleets, why not have a handicap fleet!

Would never work in practice but would be interest to watch, especially if it was a persute race!

I expect to be shot down in flames here...

edit, this could allow the public to give some sort of indication of what boats they'd like to see at the next games?

Edited by lozza
Life's a reach, then you gybe
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 1415161718 33>