FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Wow

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>
Author
Villan View Drop Down
Really should get out more

Online Status: Offline
Post Options Post Options   Quote Villan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Wow
    Posted: 16 Jun 09 at 1:44pm

Best technique I found was to just *not sail a Laser*

Works really well actually!!

Vareo - 149 "Secrets"
TandyUK Servers
Laser 173312 View Drop Down
Far too distracted from work

Post Options Post Options   Quote Laser 173312 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Jun 09 at 3:36pm
Originally posted by jeffers

That is the thng, in reality these new blocks will make little difference aside from being harder wearing that the Holt sh*te there is no performance difference at all.

I thought there's supposed to be less friction so that the main will run easier. That might stop mine wrapping the stern as often.

Initially thought that £75 might be a bit too much, but looking at the price of other blocks it seems par for the course for a modern block. Just a lot more expensive than the 30 year old design. Oh well my birthday in August so that's me present sorted.

Jon Emmett View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Jon Emmett Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Jun 09 at 4:05pm
The reason the sheet gets caught around the stern is that you do not keep it tight enough. If the main runs easier you will most likely get more slack (to get caught around the back!).
MikeBz View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote MikeBz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Jun 09 at 5:54pm

That is the thng, in reality these new blocks will make little difference aside from being harder wearing that the Holt sh*te there is no performance difference at all.

Agreed, but not the point IMHO - everyone will feel they have to have it so everyone will spend the dosh (on something that doesn't make any difference...).  OK not 'everyone' but many many many.

Mike

laser193713 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote laser193713 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Jun 09 at 1:51pm
Less friction will keep the sheets tighter surely? When you sheet in fast the outboard end of the mainsheet that is attached between the becket and the traveller block goes slack in light winds, and sometimes even the other outboard purchase too if the friction in the top block at the end of the boom is hige enough... so less friction will mean less hookups.  I take it that these blocks aren't ball bearing?
Jon Emmett View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Jon Emmett Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Jun 09 at 1:56pm
The problem is usually when people gybe they accidently let some sheet out as they move into the boat. The less friction the more sheet gets let into the "loop" and the bigger the loop the more likely it is to get caught around the back!

Edited by Jon Emmett
Laser 173312 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Laser 173312 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Jun 09 at 3:48pm

Isn't that why you give a flick or a tug on the sheet as you perform the gybe to tighten the main and stop the loop forming.

I'm hoping the reduction in friction will make my flick more effective!

No that's not a double entendre

Chris 249 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Chris 249 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Jun 09 at 9:37pm
Originally posted by MikeBz

That is the thng, in reality these new
blocks will make little difference aside from being harder wearing that the
Holt sh*te there is no performance difference at all.

Agreed, but not the point IMHO - everyone will feel they have to have it
so everyone will spend the dosh (on something that doesn't make any
difference...).  OK not 'everyone' but many many many.

Mike

Sure, some will feel that they have to get the new blocks. But that sort of
person would be throwing their money away getting a new hull each year
and a new sail design each month in other classes.

I don't really like the new blocks but like the new vang, you'll no doubt be
100% competitive in good fleets without them.
jeffers View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote jeffers Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Jun 09 at 9:04am

As already mentioned I am only getting them because my old blocks are worn out and i need to re-do the metal loop on the boom that holds the boom end block on because it is starting to go loose.

Were I not doing this then I would not be considering it.

Paul
----------------------
D-Zero GBR 74
Ian29937 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Ian29937 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Jun 09 at 9:28am
Originally posted by Laser 173312

I thought there's supposed to be less friction so that the main will run easier. That might stop mine wrapping the stern as often.

Initially thought that £75 might be a bit too much, but looking at the price of other blocks it seems par for the course for a modern block. Just a lot more expensive than the 30 year old design. Oh well my birthday in August so that's me present sorted.

I wonder how Holt feel, having been stuck with making that ancient one-design block all of  these years, and now the american's get the deal.  They must be royally pi**ed off.  Wonder what the story was?

Ian

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>