FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

RS100 Prototype

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 7475767778 92>
Author
Nick Peters View Drop Down
Posting king
Posting king

Online Status: Offline
Post Options Post Options   Quote Nick Peters Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: RS100 Prototype
    Posted: 13 Nov 09 at 10:37am
Originally posted by haroosh

Great news. Cant wait to see the production finished hull. What was the decision on the foredeck? Is it same colour of hull or black like protos?

Keith.

Hi Keith - one boat is all one colour and one has the clear gel / carbon foredeck - when they are here we will take a view, but we have always liked the contrasting foredeck: So no firm decisions, but I quite possibly the clear gel deck will be an option. We have engineered it so the foredecks are removeable - machine screws, not bonding paste, so we might do a quick change if it looks wrong in the flesh...

Nick.

Nick

Rupert View Drop Down
Really should get out more

Post Options Post Options   Quote Rupert Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Nov 09 at 10:37am
There are many stories floating around about how hull weights differ in certain classes of SMOD. Does RS weigh each boat that comes off the production line? And if so, are there parameters by which you judge whether a hull is "in class"?
Firefly 2324, Puffin 229, Minisail 3446 Mirror 70686
Guest View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Guest Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Nov 09 at 10:44am

Originally posted by Rupert

There are many stories floating around about how hull weights differ in certain classes of SMOD.

Weighing a boat is not very easy to do and so many people just don't bother.

I have always been pretty keen on doing this I guess a habit learned from 470s where you expected a new boat to be delivered with max correctors ... this must have been a nightmare for the builder.

The only SMOD class I have sailed where boat weighing was done at an event was the MPS Worlds were every boat was weighed and the differences were minimal so thumbs up to Ovingtons for their consistancy.

As a consumer I guess it is up to you to check what you have brought measures up to the spec. on the marketing materials.

Martin Wadhams View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Martin Wadhams Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Nov 09 at 10:46am
Rick, are you still employed (paid, goods in kind, whatever) by Ovington or any other marine businesses for marketing services?
Martin Wadhams
Managing Director
RS Sailing
Nick Peters View Drop Down
Posting king
Posting king

Post Options Post Options   Quote Nick Peters Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Nov 09 at 10:49am

Originally posted by Rupert

There are many stories floating around about how hull weights differ in certain classes of SMOD. Does RS weigh each boat that comes off the production line? And if so, are there parameters by which you judge whether a hull is "in class"?

Yes, we certainly do weigh each boat and correct some - every class has a production tolerance agreed with the class. And whereas we are very happy for customers to weigh boats on collection, it fundamentally means owners of smods do not have to worry about certificates and the like.

Nick.

Nick

Merlinboy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Merlinboy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Nov 09 at 11:18am

Surely once production is set up and flowing, there must be little tolerance in the amount of materials used?  Therefore if you use X amount of resin and X amount of Foam in building a boat the total weight must come out somewhere around Y.  There will obviously be tolerances, but i would think (Hope) these would be rather small. 

If it were me and i had managed to finally bite the bullet and buy a brand new boat, i would weigh it.  If it were significantly over the marketed weight i would return it and expect a replacement hull.

haroosh View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote haroosh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Nov 09 at 11:29am

Great news. Cant wait to see the production finished hull. What was the decision on the foredeck? Is it same colour of hull or black like protos?

Keith.

Hi Keith - one boat is all one colour and one has the clear gel / carbon foredeck - when they are here we will take a view, but we have always liked the contrasting foredeck: So no firm decisions, but I quite possibly the clear gel deck will be an option. We have engineered it so the foredecks are removeable - machine screws, not bonding paste, so we might do a quick change if it looks wrong in the flesh...

Nick.

Sounds great Nick,

It will be great to see both but I must admit I really liked the clear gel carbon look. This really differentiates the look of the boat compared with other mass production boats in my opinion.  

Cheers, Keith.

Merlinboy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Merlinboy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Nov 09 at 11:45am
The clear carbon Fore deck does look great, but will the lacquer start to bubble and peel over time?  I can't wait to have a go in the finalized production version.  I am fairly sure it will be the next boat i buy once the new baby has grown up a bit and i can get out on the RS circuit again!  (Those damn two day events are the reason i have sold the 300! )
sten View Drop Down
Far too distracted from work
Far too distracted from work

Post Options Post Options   Quote sten Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Nov 09 at 11:47am

Merlinboy how would you weigh a boat? have you weighed the boat you have?

its not that easy to weigh your boat presicely you would need to be indoors and have calibrated scales ect.  its enough of a pain at a worlds getting your boat measured with out having to set up all the gear for just one boat.

Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Nov 09 at 12:06pm
Does anyone supply a Certificate of Conformance with new boats - just a little certificate with the hull weight (measured at the factory) and guaranteeing it meets the defined specs.  I don't remember ever having got one for any boat.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 7475767778 92>