FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Farr 3.7

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 112>
Author
timnoyce View Drop Down
Really should get out more

Online Status: Offline
Post Options Post Options   Quote timnoyce Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Farr 3.7
    Posted: 07 Apr 11 at 10:31am
What is the target crew weight for a Farr 3.7?

I really love the concept of the boat, light weight and simple. Hope it arrives safe and sound Daryl.

Also, has anyone else noticed how much cooler their boat trailers are down under?! They really take their boat transportation seriously! 
BEARFOOT DESIGN
Cherub 2648 - Comfortably Numb
Jack Sparrow View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Jack Sparrow Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Apr 11 at 10:55am
55kg to 85kg seems to be the suggested weight range. I'll hold judgement on that upper weight range until I've had a sail in her. I'm just over 70kg, but could ( should ) lose a little. So I think I should be a fair test for the rig size in the UK.
Foiling_Toff View Drop Down
Posting king
Posting king

Post Options Post Options   Quote Foiling_Toff Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Apr 11 at 11:47am
I shall be following your progress with interest.  I bet if it goes well there will be a few more people interested in bringing one of these to the UK.

Post Options Post Options   Quote Jack Sparrow Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Apr 11 at 11:56am
Originally posted by Foiling_Toff

I shall be following your progress with interest.  I bet if it goes well there will be a few more people interested in bringing one of these to the UK.

I hope so. And will do my best to keep the blog up to date.

Tim: as for trailers... yep the Southern Hemisphere boys and girls seem to spend a bit more time in this department. Well at least in the classes I am interested in.

In the case of my boat, I was very pleased that she had a box trailer, as shipping the boat is a little less stressful, with the boat having a nice transport crate already.
laser193713 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote laser193713 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Apr 11 at 11:57am
How cost effective is it to import a boat in this way?  Obviously this isnt a brand new boat so compared to say buying a second hand boat here in similar condion how does it work out? Would it have been cheaper to perhaps build the boat here?
Ruscoe View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Ruscoe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Apr 11 at 12:04pm
I love te look of the Box trailers, i fancy building one for over here.  You could use an Old caravan Chassis.  It would also have the benefit that you could sleep in it and keep your gear safe at events!!

Rupert View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Rupert Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Apr 11 at 12:22pm
Something I'd not realized is just how numerically small the class is even in NZ. 
Firefly 2324, Puffin 229, Minisail 3446 Mirror 70686

Post Options Post Options   Quote Jack Sparrow Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Apr 11 at 12:29pm
Originally posted by laser193713

How cost effective is it to import a boat in this way?  Obviously this isnt a brand new boat so compared to say buying a second hand boat here in similar condion how does it work out? Would it have been cheaper to perhaps build the boat here?

a rough estimation of building one here. Well not that rough I've had a few builders quote. Would be about £3900 for the hull and a rough price of £7000 for everything with a trolley and cover. That's with rig and sails from NZ - C-Tec / fyfe.

Building yourself is obviously much cheaper. I have had a quote for £110 for laser cutting the Ply parts. It's about £50 for the plans and materials are a couple of sheets of ply and a tub of Epoxy, paint and a bit of glass. Very rough estimate of £600 for materials. Then it's your time.

So yes, if you are building yourself it is much cheaper.

I wanted to get good one over here so I there was a boat that was fully sorted in the UK. Rather than build one and guess about fitting placement and set up etc.

Plus it was cheaper than building one. And obviously quicker. The total for the boat and shipping has come in at £5500. And she is last years Nationals winning boat. With a box trailer. There are some much cheaper boats than mine for sale and shipping just the boat and beach trolley is also much cheaper, as shipping is done on volume.

A good place to look is TradeMe.com but unfortunately you can't contact anyone on that site as you can only register if you live in AUS or NZ. So the best place to start is the Class Association.

Post Options Post Options   Quote Jack Sparrow Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Apr 11 at 12:34pm
Originally posted by Rupert

Something I'd not realized is just how numerically small the class is even in NZ. 

Yep, but the fleet is quite active in NZ. And the boats last.

The class hasn't really ever made it off NZ shores.
Contender443 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Contender443 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Apr 11 at 1:16pm
I know someone who would be interested in one of these. Are there enough people out there to really weant and to commit to having one built.

What would a builder give as a price if they had firm deposits from say 6 buyers. The deposit would need to be set at a level where the buyer will not back out easily - say 50% of build costs.
Bonnie Lass Contender 1764
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 112>