FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Farr 3.7

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 678910 112>
Author
Ruscoe View Drop Down
Really should get out more

Online Status: Offline
Post Options Post Options   Quote Ruscoe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Farr 3.7
    Posted: 16 May 11 at 10:54am
Jack,
I had to pay VAT on an RS 200 i imported back in from Jersey a few years back.  The boat had been exported to Jersey as a second hand boat and VAT was paid at point of Invoice when new.  LDC would not provide me with a copy invoice from new to prove VAT had been paid so i had to stump up the VAT to get the boat released.  Its harsh.

JimC View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote JimC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 May 11 at 10:54am
Originally posted by Jack Sparrow

a real pain in the back side!

Look on the bright side: with so much missing from your wallet there will be much less discomfort when you sit down...
Jack Sparrow View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Jack Sparrow Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 May 11 at 11:07am
Jim: very true.

Ruscoe: yes, harsh.

Skiffybob View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Skiffybob Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 May 11 at 11:49am
Russ, the rule goes something like this:-

If you take a "VAT Paid" boat out of the EU, then assuming you have the VAT certificate, you can bring it back in without paying VAT again.

If however you sell the boat whilst outside of the EU, the new owner has to pay the VAT again on re-entry ino the EU based on the purchase price.

Many have been caught-out by this in the yachting world.

Edited by Skiffybob - 16 May 11 at 11:50am
12ft Skiff - Gordon Keeble and the Furry Fly-by
AC - GBR271 - Whoosh
B49 - Island Alchemy
Triple Three View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Triple Three Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 May 11 at 1:55pm
Hi,  I sail 3.7 #333 here in New Zealand.

I think that it's fantastic that you lot like our beautiful wooden boats when Yachting NZ prefers your horrible plastic ones!

I've found that around a Windward/Leeward course, I have a slight speed advantage over the the top laser sailors, wheras the top 3.7 sailors will easily leave them behind.  The difference is bigger when it is windy, but in under 5-10 knots the two boats are very similar.  Reaching, the Lasers have no show...

The 3.7 really comes into it's own when the breeze gets up and it is fantastic if you can get a triangle with a long reach.  There are just a few that have the prod and genniker, but we don't see them very often.  The boat is rewarding to sail with just the mainsail and I think in terms of one-design racing, it is more tactical without a genniker.

Here are some photo's of my boat from the recent NZ Nationals, taken by Sean Paterson:

JimC View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote JimC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 May 11 at 2:02pm
Yachting NZ does seem to have an amazing bias against anything designed in New Zealand, which frankly seems pretty damn silly when you consider how many of the rest of the world's boats get designed by expat Kiwi designers...
I have a suspicion that NZLs Olympic results have declined since YNZ introduced their deiscourage local classes policy, but I could be wrong.
Chris 249 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Chris 249 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 May 11 at 10:21pm
I certainly don't have a particularly good vantage point to NZ sailing but it's amazing how small it seems to be outside of Auckland, which is tragic considering how strong NZ has been in the sport.  Old sources tell of a dozen hot Rs turning up to races in places like the cold provincial town of Otago (where a young Master R Coutts was noted as a good P Class sailor) and fleets of a dozen 18s in Canterbury.  Now you'd be struggling to find that many  in the whole country. NZ seems to be a classic case where international performance isn't creating domestic support.

One thing that's interesting, though, is that it seems that some old domestic ODs (Zephrys, Sunbursts, etc) are surviving much better than other sectors.
Jack Sparrow View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Jack Sparrow Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 May 11 at 10:35am
I have it...

maxibuddah View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote maxibuddah Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 May 11 at 10:44am
are you sure its in there?
Everything I say is my opinion, honest
Neptune View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Neptune Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 May 11 at 10:45am
Jack,
Looking forward to lining up with you on the start line at Burghfield as soon as my 600 get back from the menders!

Cheers
Mark
Musto Skiff and Solo sailor
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 678910 112>