FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

How long does a boat stay fast?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345 6>
Author
Peter Rhodes View Drop Down
Posting king
Posting king

Online Status: Offline
Post Options Post Options   Quote Peter Rhodes Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Jun 05 at 3:44pm

Originally posted by stuarthop

what i've found is that as long as you look after most grp boats properly and dry them out after sailing keep them in a garage whenever possible they stay competitive for nearly as long as a wooden boat

therefore defeating the object of a grp boat in the first place

stuarthop View Drop Down
Really should get out more

Post Options Post Options   Quote stuarthop Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Jun 05 at 3:53pm
not really as a grp boat is far more versitile and easier to repair than a wooden one

Posting king
Posting king

Post Options Post Options   Quote Peter Rhodes Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Jun 05 at 4:43pm
how are they more versitile or easy to repair?
jpbuzz591 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote jpbuzz591 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Jul 05 at 9:49am
cause u just shove some gelcoat on them
Jp Indoe
Contender 518
Buzz591
Chew Valley Sailing club
Bristol
Posting king
Posting king

Post Options Post Options   Quote Peter Rhodes Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Jul 05 at 2:17pm
which is the same or harder than just shoving paint on em
jpbuzz591 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote jpbuzz591 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Jul 05 at 2:59pm
but if u take a chip/chunk out of the hull, apinting over it wont hide it will it? while a GRP u just build it back up again
Jp Indoe
Contender 518
Buzz591
Chew Valley Sailing club
Bristol
Posting king
Posting king

Post Options Post Options   Quote Peter Rhodes Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Jul 05 at 3:41pm
filler
Bobbins View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Bobbins Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Jul 05 at 9:35pm

Or cut around the hole, chamfer the edges and put a new panel in.  No extra weight from layers of filler and still as solid as you'll ever need it to be.  Plus I'm fairly happy messing around with positions of blocks in my wooden fireball - think i'd be a bit more reserved with the screwdriver if it was grp

www.fastsail.org

Fireball GBR 9476
49erGBR735HSC View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote 49erGBR735HSC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Nov 05 at 6:12am
How competitive a boat stays is decided under a lot of parameters. Hull construction is the major consideration but that is also coupled with crew competence. As a class becomes more developed, it is is more dependant on hull integritory as the crew competance generalises at a higher level. However certain curcumstances may buck the trend. Within my sailing experience, classes like the Laser 5000 (my old class) and the 4000,offer the best playing field with older boats beating the newer boats. Laser 4000, 4015 has always been one of the top boats in Europe. 5071,my old boat was always quick due to good boat handling and tuning although being an "older" boat. We also beat many new 420s  in a 20+ year old boat purely through good boat handling skills. When we sailed a 3 year 420, we beat all the skiffs across the water due to the prevailing  conditions. I can see your point when you ask how long does a boat stay fast? But you have to consider how well it has been sailed, in what sort of conditions and how well you are going to sail it plus all the structurioral details aswell..........

Edited by 49erGBR735HSC
Dennis Watson 49er GBR735
Helensburgh S.C
Boat Insurance from Noble Marine

Iain C View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Iain C Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Nov 05 at 9:21pm

My 1989 Cherub just won an open meeting so they can stay fast for a long time!

Cheers

Iain

PS But it did gain a new deck, carbon rig and racks this year.  And a new kite, main and jib.  Which were a lot bigger than the old ones.

PPS Oh yeah and another wire.

PPPS Oh and Steve Irish was driving it.

49er GBR340 "20KSB"
Sabre 27 "Summer Girl"
Foiling Moth GBR4093 "Beermoth"
1965 Flying 15 K797 "Braveheart"
Fireball GBR14110
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345 6>