FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

wood or plastic

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123
Author
flat is fast View Drop Down
Posting king
Posting king

Online Status: Offline
Post Options Post Options   Quote flat is fast Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: wood or plastic
    Posted: 09 Mar 05 at 10:29am
wood is far better because when it gets wet you can always dry it out and when plastic boats start to delaminate wooden ones can be maintained with alot more ease
no fear
JimC View Drop Down
Really should get out more
Really should get out more

Post Options Post Options   Quote JimC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Mar 05 at 5:13pm
Originally posted by Blobby

So ultimately it would appear that composite construction would be fastest as you can build a lighter, stiffer boat...and I am conveniently ignoring all the class specific issues with that generalisation!

Yes, but don't forget the class specific issues are very very important!

Originally posted by flat is fast

wood is far better because when it gets wet you can always dry it out and when plastic boats start to delaminate wooden ones can be maintained with alot more ease

Obviously a man who's never had to deal with delaminating plywood, or thirty year old wodd boats where the aerolite has gone brittle and is letting go!

Wood is still a fine boatbuilding material, and if you are building a boat for the pleasure of working with the materials and seeing the finished object then I prefer it to epoxy/foam. I have a wood boat, a wood decked foam boat and an all foam boat, snd there's no doubt in my mind that the all foam boat is far less hassle to maintain as well as needing less work.

Nowadays I would almost always build only consider ply for a quick knock up/throwaway boat to try something out and even then there would be a lot of glass carbon/epoxy in it.
sailorguy View Drop Down
Posting king
Posting king

Post Options Post Options   Quote sailorguy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Mar 05 at 9:20pm
don't composite boats only need looking after at the end of their lives, whereas a woodeen boat need to be looked after all its life
RS 500 (twin wire)
Laser 157607
Laser 85446
Pico 2136
flat is fast View Drop Down
Posting king
Posting king

Post Options Post Options   Quote flat is fast Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Mar 05 at 11:01pm
i have completly restored a boat and it wasnt that hard. however it did take me 3 months but i was 16 at the time so i didnt think i did that bad! plus these days epoxy is far better than it used to be west and sp are just so much stronger. They dont use castermite much now because it goes brittle with age but sp and west altho expencive last longer and hold stronger.

Edited by flat is fast
no fear
Granite View Drop Down
Far too distracted from work
Far too distracted from work

Post Options Post Options   Quote Granite Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Mar 05 at 1:34pm

There is a big difference between the resin types used and the effect that they have on a boat life.

When the boat flexes both the resin and the fibers strech the problem with Polyester resin boats is that the resin is not quite as stretchy as the glass so as the boat flexes you get micro cracking of the resin. this is largely what makes a boat go soft with age.

Epoxy is much better as it can strech futher before failing plus it absorbs much less water than polyester resins and does not smell as bad when curing. Unfortunately it is more expensive.

If it doesn't break it's too heavy; if it does it wasn't built right
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123