FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

More Boat Doodles

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 6>
Author
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: More Boat Doodles
    Posted: 28 Feb 09 at 8:27am

Teething kids = sleepless nights = time to doodle boats!

The idea was to succeed where Bethwaite snr had failed and design a Tasar type boat (man/wife, fast and simple) that has a small assy kite yet can offer true apparent wind sailing (always faster to tack downwind than run square). Well, I thought I'd aim high...

The basic stats:

L = 4.3m (14ft) (might grow 0.2m with a raked bow)

B = 1.8m (6ft) as drawn, but may increase to 2.3m with mesh wings rather than flare

Total Boat Weight = 73kg

Design Crew Weight = 136kg

Mast height = 6.1m

Main = 8.6m^2

Jib = 3.25m^2

Kite = 11.0m^2

For those that know of, and care about, Bethwaite's critical ratios, this boat has:

SCP:Disp = 0.27 (increase to 0.31 at beam = 2.3m)

SA: WSA = 7.08

SA:Disp = 0.53

I will try and post the rig this evening, and tweak the hull a bit more. 

P.S. Unless I win the lottery, this only a fun paper excercise - so please, no complaining about yet more classes!

Chewie

alstorer View Drop Down
Really should get out more

Online Status: Offline
Post Options Post Options   Quote alstorer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Feb 09 at 9:14am
Is it a souped-up Tasar or a (especially if you give it mesh wings) a B14 with less rag and less beam?
-_
Al
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Feb 09 at 9:22am
Well, it started out as a tasar with kite (the white sails are tasar size), but it could be thought of as a scaled down B14 - which a scaled up tasar in many ways!  But the B14 is more of a beasty - a very beautiful one - with, what, 30m^2 of kite?  That puts it way beyond most weekend sailors grasp - especially the infrequent, time limited type.  The RS200 is so popular because it is a clearly managaeble boat, which is what I have tried to keep hold of.  So its sort of a tasar/RS200 that should sail to about 920-930.
boatshed View Drop Down
Far too distracted from work
Far too distracted from work

Post Options Post Options   Quote boatshed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Feb 09 at 9:47am
Isn't this what the 59er is all about ?
Steve
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Feb 09 at 10:07am

It sort of is, and sort of isn't.  The 59er is targetted at 'elder' sailors who have gained a few pounds and lost a bit of mobility, I think the crew weight is minimum 150kg, which makes it too big for must hubby/wife teams.  It also has a pretty big kite which is offputing to hoist, gybe and drop, and presumably the automatic rig doesn't work as well as claimed, else people wouldn't have put trapezes on them.

Phil eltringham View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Phil eltringham Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Feb 09 at 11:04am
59er kite is 19m2 and is high aspect, having sailed one, its really not a lot of effort to get up and down, the chute is huge, and because its a wide boat its good and stable, but i'm off topic here, nice pics though!
FLAT IS FAST!
Shifts Happen
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Feb 09 at 11:10am

Thanks Phil.  I'm sure the 59er is an excellent boat, but I believe (rightly or wrongly) that it is perceived as being too much boat - it looks daunting even if it is more foriving than it looks.  As a very good sailor you may not struggle, but coming from a 200 with 9m^2 kite, I don't think my wife would find 19m2 so easy! 

Chewie

I luv Wight View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote I luv Wight Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Mar 09 at 5:57pm
Something similar already exists ( though a bit in hibernation ) - the Suicide or Atkin 125. There's an SA thread.  The idea is low drag easy hull shape, small sail area, 1 trapeze, with a tradeoff of weight to length and beam. Rigs are small, ie Tasar, 29er, IC size, and  hulls would be Merlin Rocketish, narrower  but 22 foot long.

An old boat that looks really cool

my design - 22' 6" long x 4' 6" beam, and about 70kg hull weight with ply construction.

http://www.bloodaxeboats.co.uk
Andy P
foiling Int Moth GBR3467
Freedom 21 Codling
craiggo View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote craiggo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Mar 09 at 10:27pm
I havnt got my memory stick with me which includes my design on SA but I'll try and pop it on when I get a chance.

Andy didnt think it would be too stable !
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Mar 09 at 12:30pm
I've been following that thread on SA, they look quite good but 22' is pretty long - don't fancy keeping that in a boat park!  Also, I'm all for a bit of length, but isn't 22ft excessive?  The extra length is only good whilst displacement sailing, and would have a lot more wetted surface area (and weight).
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 6>