FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Should I move on?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
Author
ianwat2212 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Online Status: Offline
Post Options Post Options   Quote ianwat2212 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Should I move on?
    Posted: 03 Mar 05 at 3:36pm
My crew and I have bin sailing a 29er for a couple of years (not with any gr8 success) and have got slightly too heavy for it. I like the look of the RS800 but is it worth upgrading bearing in mind the the additional expense and the fact that I am 17 and will b goin away 2 Uni in a  year and a bit? or should we stick with the 29er and accept that were not going 2b as competetive in light airs?
Fireball RSA 14723
Simonis 35 "Scarlet Sun" SA 1500
Royal Cape Yacht Club
KnightMare View Drop Down
Really should get out more

Post Options Post Options   Quote KnightMare Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Mar 05 at 4:12pm
well it realy does depend on what you want, I had similar situation and an kinda floating at the moment as taking a gap year and coaching abroad for most (hopfuly) so wont be able to sail, and then going to uni so cant realy get into a boat intending to be competative.

Would you be moving into the 800 together? and are there any at your club to race against? etc
C. Petrie View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Quote C. Petrie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Mar 05 at 4:39pm

If your gonna be out of the country for most of the sailing season, getting a new boat now would just be a bit foolish IMO. alot of money to put down when you cant use it and also you will have to pay insurance (which i would imagine be more than the 29r) and storage fees...

I would prob tend to hold off until you return if i were you...

Spot192 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Spot192 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Mar 05 at 5:01pm
sounds a bit stupid, but if you both still have fun together in the 29er, why buying a new expensive boat?

Post Options Post Options   Quote KnightMare Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Mar 05 at 5:11pm

Very good point. If you want to have a good time then stay in a boat and use the momeny u save on having a good time in the evenings!!! lol
But if all you are focused on is reults then change up.

Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Quote ianwat2212 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Mar 05 at 5:15pm
The reason for upgrading would be to move into a boat that we are nearer to the right weight for, combined we weigh something around 145-150kg, well over the recommended 105-140 for the 29er, this means we struggle a bit in light airs, but maybe the struggle of getting to grips with a new boat with only 1 or at most 2 seasons to sail it would outweigh the advantage of a bigger boat?
Fireball RSA 14723
Royal Cape Yacht Club

Post Options Post Options   Quote KnightMare Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Mar 05 at 5:27pm
Yeah your not that much to heavy for the boat then, just hope for kick a** strong winds and not only will u have a blast, ul do better as u know the boat well, about how it handles and what it/you can and cant do.
Spot192 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Spot192 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Mar 05 at 5:35pm
it´s more challenging sailing a boat if you´re too light (in my case) or too heavy. and the point of knight mare spending the money for the evenings is an essential one!
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Quote ianwat2212 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Mar 05 at 5:35pm

That sounds like good advice, my view has been somewhat coloured by the fact that there was about 2 knots of wind at last yrs inlands and we came a rather embarresing 2nd to last!

Fireball RSA 14723
Royal Cape Yacht Club

Post Options Post Options   Quote KnightMare Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Mar 05 at 5:37pm

Ah yeah, I can see your point but how often does that realy happen. Also no offence but where were you expecting to come.

PS someone always has to have that spot.

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>