FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

High pressure off Ireland

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
redback View Drop Down
Really should get out more

Online Status: Offline
Post Options Post Options   Quote redback Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: High pressure off Ireland
    Posted: 25 Feb 05 at 11:34pm
Have you noticed we have had a high off Ireland for weeks, which explians why we've had cold northerlies and easterlies for weeks.  Our reservior is still not full and normally its full by Christmas - we don't seem to be getting any warm wet westerlies.  Is this normal for this time of year?
Scooby_simon View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Scooby_simon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Feb 05 at 12:04am
No.
Wanna learn to Ski - PM me..
Black no sugar View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Black no sugar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Feb 05 at 12:41am

That's a short, sharp answer, Scooby_simon! No compromise...

It's supposed to stay Brrrr coooooooooold for the next few days anyway, with Siberian air currents howling over our heads . You won't catch me on the water by such a weather ...

Contender443 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Contender443 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Feb 05 at 7:26am
Originally posted by Black no sugar

You won't catch me on the water by such a weather ...

Me neither but I may go and rig my new boat - depends though if it is really cold I won't bother.

All you pond sailors may have a problem tomorrow - your race course may be solid rather than liquid.

Bonnie Lass Contender 1764
redback View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote redback Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Feb 05 at 11:32am

I'm ducking out of it too.  This must be the 4th week in a row, which must be a record for me - still it'll be so good when I get back onto the machine.  I nearly said "when I get back onto her", but you can't really call a Laser4000 a her (or a him).  In fact it only has a name to comply with some customs form I had to fill in sometime.

Sorry digression.  Yes the high over that part of the atlantic has been there a while which I'm sure all those compettitors of the Vendee Globe and Ellen Mcarther were all a bit disappointed with since they all had a few days beating to get home and they were probably expecting a nice down hill ride.

However our inland reservior is nowhere near freezing over whereas a few years ago it did on a still moon lit night.  The winds are cold and penetrating but not that cold.

bigwavedave View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote bigwavedave Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Feb 05 at 2:47pm
Up on the roof that I'm pitching in Lancing the wind is very cold and very penetrating.   It seems much colder than last winter.
hydrographer20 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote hydrographer20 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Feb 05 at 4:06pm

shame about the weather am getting sailing withdrwaal symptons.    and this is why i dont like britian too blomin cold but however we dont get shrks so capsizing is safe!

byte me!- GBR 814
sailor.jon View Drop Down
Far too distracted from work
Far too distracted from work

Post Options Post Options   Quote sailor.jon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Feb 05 at 8:07pm

Hydrographer20, we do get sharks tho, ive seen a few down the east coast when i sail on the yachts, some really close to the boat as well,

was on my dads boat once heading down to whitby, we were just north of runswick bay, there was a trawler over our port quarter hauling in its nets ( so there will have been loads of confusion in the water like with the fish trying to escape) which will have attracted this shark, at first we saw 2 fins cutting across the bow of the boat and thought it was 2 phorposes ( the dolphin things) then realised the fin at the back was going from side to side rather then up n down like the front one, ( i was stood on the bow sprite so got a really good view) it turned down our startboard side,  swam the full lenght of the boat (14mts) the crossed our stern and headed 4 the trawler.

it was quiet big probs around 13ft long, n across its back 4-5ft

ive also seen fisherman bring the dead ones up in there tuna nets,

i sail my radial on a small lake in leeds, so i think i'm pretty safe from the sharks

Phil eltringham View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Phil eltringham Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Feb 05 at 9:16pm
I went sailing today, was a little light and shifty but was all sunny and almost warm (when you were moving in the boat), all civilised and everything. 
FLAT IS FAST!
Shifts Happen
Contender443 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Contender443 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Feb 05 at 10:12pm

Should have been in the deep south Phil - it was freezing today at Lancing. None of us had any intention of going sailing. Blizzards and a freezing NE wind.

Never mind a nice lunch was had by all, thanks to BNS!!!

Bonnie Lass Contender 1764
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>