FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Raising Money

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123
Author
winging it View Drop Down
Really should get out more

Online Status: Offline
Post Options Post Options   Quote winging it Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Nov 08 at 10:39am
Originally posted by Rupert

On the insurance side, check how much 3rd party is with various companies. I can be much, much cheaper, though if you prang your own boat you won't get a penny.

Absolutely right, plus most clubs wont let you on their water without third party cover anyway.

Unfortunately yetty sailing twice round the IoW in a topper would cost you way more than you need to raise because you'd need to run support boats etc.

Why not start by selling some stuff on ebay?  I bet you have loads of stuff you no longer want and it's nearly Christmas, so that could work.

And welcome onboard.
the same, but different...

PeterV View Drop Down
Posting king
Posting king

Post Options Post Options   Quote PeterV Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Nov 08 at 12:14pm

My first 3 boats were funded by car washing, paper rounds and not eating school lunches!

If you want to sail round the Isle of Wight in a Topper the best thing would be not to tell anyone, becasue they'll tell you not to do it!

PeterV
Finn K197, Finn GBR564, Hunter Duette.
Warsash
rogerd View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote rogerd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Nov 08 at 12:58pm

I funded all my sailing with paper rounds, car washes, etc. until I got my first job. I couldnt afford a moulded spinaker chute for the Mirror so we cut the bottom of an old potty and attached a cloth sock to it.

The spinaker was sewn together from off cut cloth bought from the local sailmakers.

If you really want it you will find a way.

I have all my boats insured third party as I do most of the work myself. The Hornet fully comp is about 120, third party it is 40. Also ask your Topper insurers if they will give you a discount on the second boat.

Edited by rogerd
Andymac View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Andymac Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Nov 08 at 8:43pm
Originally posted by radixon

Do what the rest of us did, ask for 2 to spend at lunch time at school then either starve yourself till you get home/scrounge of a mate that odd packet of crisps/spend as little as possible then after a few weeks you'll get that money you need.
Andymac View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Andymac Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Nov 08 at 8:57pm

Originally posted by radixon

Do what the rest of us did, ask for 2 to spend at lunch time at school then either starve yourself till you get home/scrounge of a mate that odd packet of crisps/spend as little as possible then after a few weeks you'll get that money you need

Sorry to quote you again radixon.... (I suppose I'm meant to type my bit before posting )

Anyway wasn't that what Ellen Macarther done as a youngster.

Certainly the idea that people sponsor someone indulging themselves so that they can go on to indulge themselves more, seems a little bit like a soft option. If you want a 'gain' you should be prepared to have some 'pain' to earn it.

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123