FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Minorca, Mark Warner, Sunsail, Neilson

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
radixon View Drop Down
Really should get out more

Online Status: Offline
Post Options Post Options   Quote radixon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Minorca, Mark Warner, Sunsail, Neilson
    Posted: 30 Oct 08 at 10:07pm
Looking to book a holiday next year to get away. The last sailing holiday I did was in 2004 to Finikonda with Neilson. Was a great holiday and learnt a lot, been newish to the sport full time.

Now I can sail better than last time, I am looking for a centre with advanced sailing kit. Looking through the sites of Minorca, Mark Warner, Sunsail and Neilson it is clear what is available. Minorca have loads of boats including all the RS range where as the others have a few high performance as well as the all rounder boats.

For those that have been to Minorca, they boast to have about 170 boats, does it seem crowded there and do you have to wait to go out on a boat?

Any other advise?

alstorer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote alstorer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Oct 08 at 10:40pm
Minorca have a lot more boats than they have clients, especially if you can manage to go outside of the school holidays- if you do this, you'll always be able to sail what you want (wind permitting). Where as the others tend to have a couple of high performance boats on their fleet, Minorca have a shed load. Went there in September. It was fantastic. Superb instruction even for the "advanced" groups.

As an example of kit availability: one windy afternoon, two of us broke 800s. Both boats got ashore, the other lot took out another 800, my crew for the day and I decided to rag the a*** off a 500.

If you want advanced kit, there's only the one real choice.

dopamine View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Quote dopamine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Oct 08 at 8:30am

Originally posted by alstorer

Minorca have a lot more boats than they have clients, especially if you can manage to go outside of the school holidays- if you do this, you'll always be able to sail what you want (wind permitting). Where as the others tend to have a couple of high performance boats on their fleet, Minorca have a shed load. Went there in September. It was fantastic. Superb instruction even for the "advanced" groups.

As an example of kit availability: one windy afternoon, two of us broke 800s. Both boats got ashore, the other lot took out another 800, my crew for the day and I decided to rag the a*** off a 500.

If you want advanced kit, there's only the one real choice.

Very high standard of tuition in Menorca, more of a racing bias but plenty of gentler sailing if you want it, lots of kit too.

Does cost more but in my experience worth it, for instance they run one to one sessions every afternoon.

Neilson have closed Finicounda, a great pity as we only discovered it this year!

laser4000 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote laser4000 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Oct 08 at 9:09am
there's some pretty good sailors (nat/euro champs) than have done spells teachnig at minorca, and yes the kit is very good and there's lots of it, plus you can almost use it as a test cente - i.e. do I wasn to sail 400's, 200's, 700s, 800s, mps, 49er. Lasers they have a full range of rigs too

If you're into windsurfing at all then have a go on their formula kit whilst you're out there - it's windsurfing jim but not as we know it!!

Enjoy and don't worry about the cost - it makes skiing trips look cheap...

Jon Emmett View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Jon Emmett Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Oct 08 at 7:54pm
Perhaps you had already thought of it but II just went on a windsurfing holiday with club vass (in Dahab) and I would really recommend them.
MRJP BUZZ 585 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote MRJP BUZZ 585 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Oct 08 at 8:36pm
Originally posted by Jon Emmett

Perhaps you had already thought of it but II just went on a windsurfing holiday with club vass (in Dahab) and I would really recommend them.

Same, I had a great time there
Josh Preater

BUZZING IS FUN

laser4000 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote laser4000 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Oct 08 at 9:33pm
Originally posted by Jon Emmett

but the op wants to go sailing..
radixon View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote radixon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Nov 08 at 6:07pm

I remember Jon informing us about his up and coming holiday when at BA Silverwings, whilst waiting for the wind to come!

Yes cheers for the recommendation but I need to perfect my windsurfing before commiting to a holiday doing the sport for a week.

Looks like Minorca it may be, will look again after Christmas, downside to working in a school though, I have to go when the kids break up!

Jon Emmett View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Jon Emmett Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Nov 08 at 7:53pm
I have actually never windsurfed whilst not on holiday. I can not think of a better place to learn than Dahab where you only need to wear a pair of board shorts and the water is nearly 30 degrees... so you do not mind falling in!
Webmuppet View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Webmuppet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Nov 08 at 9:46pm
We went to Porto-Heli in Greece with Neilson in 2004 and 2005 - very enjoyable, nice location, great childcare, limited range of kit (but good quality) but a very long and tedious transfer from Athens.

For the last two years we've gone to Minorca Sailing - horribly expensive but superb kit, instruction, childcare and location. The flight times and transfers are excellent.

We won't be going anywhere next year due to domestic cutbacks (change of role at work inc.paycut) and it makes you wonder how many of these companies will survive the recession - spending on holidays seems to be one of the first things to be hit when people are feeling the pinch ?

Nigel

Edited by Webmuppet
I am the milkman of human kindness, I will leave an extra pint (Billy Bragg)

Graduate 2530 'Galaxy'
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>