FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

First twin wire boat

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>
Author
JimC View Drop Down
Really should get out more

Online Status: Offline
Post Options Post Options   Quote JimC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: First twin wire boat
    Posted: 21 Oct 08 at 8:01pm
Originally posted by Rupert

From that point of view, the 5000 and Boss make financial sense, even if they are somewhat left behind designwise.

But on the other hand they are nasty to sail compared to better designed boats, and you may as well figure that what you spend is gone for ever... They're also heavy and b***** hard work for lightweights.
Rupert View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Rupert Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Oct 08 at 8:13pm
They weigh 160 kg between them - hardly light weight! As for cost, you'll be able to pick one up for less than the depriciation on a new boat. Agree you won't get the same design advantages, but for a blast, it would hardly matter that much. After all, 5000's were regarded as fine boats for several years, and offered something pretty radical for the time - at least in the northern hemisphere.
Firefly 2324, Puffin 229, Minisail 3446 Mirror 70686
les5269 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote les5269 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Oct 08 at 8:24pm

Originally posted by JimC

Originally posted by Rupert

From that point of view, the 5000 and Boss make financial sense, even if they are somewhat left behind designwise.

But on the other hand they are nasty to sail compared to better designed boats, and you may as well figure that what you spend is gone for ever... They're also heavy and b***** hard work for lightweights.

Jim! Nasty to sail!? as you know I owned a 5000 for 8 years and loved it every time I sailed it. I now own a 49er and I have enjoyed that too, but my helm still owns a 5000 and we have still gone back to it.

In my opinion it is a great boat a bit dated yes but still a very good boat.

The class assoc are working very hard to keep the profile up on it too, with a fair amount of training and opens.

49er 531 & 5000 5025 and a mirror(now gone to mirror heaven)!

Grafham water Sailing Club The greatest inland sailing in the country
Skiffybob View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Skiffybob Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Oct 08 at 8:30pm

I would have thought that an older I14 would be the ticket, so long as it was built after 1992ish (before that they were horrid).

A lot of boat for the money, great for learning to sail a powerful twin-wire boat.

Edited by Skiffybob
Neal_g View Drop Down
Far too distracted from work
Far too distracted from work

Post Options Post Options   Quote Neal_g Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Oct 08 at 9:01pm
4k will buy you a morrison 11 or simialr and there not that old usually with plenty sails to practice with, id go for a 14 everytime
(Redoubt Sc)
Miracle 4040
GP14 13407

Crewsaver phase 2 range now available to buy online on at http://www.gibsonsails.com
Stevie_GTI View Drop Down
Posting king
Posting king

Post Options Post Options   Quote Stevie_GTI Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Oct 08 at 9:18pm
at 160kg's you are at the top end of the weight range for the 800, but not too heavy. This year I came second at the 800 nationals and me and my crew weighed in at about 165kg's. I also build them too.
k-700 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote k-700 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Oct 08 at 10:06pm
thanks for the advise guys, given me some boats to think about.
could anyone tell me what the minimum wind strength is for twin wiring on
something like the 800
Fin. View Drop Down
Posting king
Posting king

Post Options Post Options   Quote Fin. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Oct 08 at 10:51am

Hi K-700

I was  in your situation a few years ago, and concluded to go for a 5000. I have no regrets - I still have my  boat and love it immensiely.

Okay - they're considered older boats these days but there is a lot going for them.

They still offer incrediable performance and the helm when on the  wire is well balanced and great to steer.

They are cheap -  look at the forum (link below)  there's a few for sale at the moment  - normally going for between £1200-2000 - so excellent value. And there are some excellent specimens for sale at the moment too!  Plus they'll not  depreciate, much if  at all any more. 

They are relavtively heavy, but they are big amd actually  stable boats when  compared to  something like a  int14, 49er etc. I frequently  take novices or fairly inexperienced people  out - something I definitely wouldn't  do on a 49er.

They are indestrutable, so  shouldn't need to much  maintainence. and though no longer being built parts are still available (all parts are either: Proctor, Hyde, Laser or Holt) , so you should have no  problem with  maintenance.

One advantage say to something like a  cherub or  a 14, they are still  one-design.  So  if you wish to race, you'll have  competition.  they too have weight-equalisation system - infact I believe it was the first mass-production boat to have such.

The class  association though  not large, is definitely active.  There are training and  races meets being  planned already for 2009.  In fact  we had 7 boats out at Rutland  for some exciting sailing this  weekend past.

To be honest,  your alternatives would  be an BOSS or a RS800.  The 800 is a great  design,  Phil Morrison who designed the the 5000, subsequently designed the 800, so it stands that it ought to be  better.  They are though more  expensive and for £4000 you'll only pick up one of the older  boats.

The BOSS -  from what I gather sails very well, and there was an excellent  comparison between it and the 5000 a couple years ago in the  DSM.  Parts might be harder to find, certainly there are less of them around.

For 5000 information - check out the 5000forum.:

http://groups.yahoo.com/group/5000classassociation/

- feel free to ask questions etc. If potentially  buying a boat - ask to see if  someone can  give you a test-drive. I know some of the chaps will only be delighted to assist. 

All the best,

fin

Ross View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Ross Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Oct 08 at 11:47am

For starters, where do you sail? Have you got a regular crew sorted? Do you want something completely mental or something to moderately quick to cruise about in with a friend?

Ross
If you can't carry it, don't sail it!
Merlinboy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Merlinboy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Oct 08 at 12:28pm
£4k Should buy you a Morrison 10 or B3 i14, which in the right hands is still quick.  It is worth pointing out the massive learning curve at keeping one up right, from what i understand an 800 is easier.  If i were you thats what i would purchase, big fleets, good residuals (relatively) big professionally run association.  They have just changed the deck mold so there could be some cheaper mk1's floating around now.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>