FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

So EXPENSIVE!!

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>
Author
C. Petrie View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Online Status: Offline
Post Options Post Options   Quote C. Petrie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: So EXPENSIVE!!
    Posted: 23 Feb 05 at 4:16pm

The RYA as i see it is really only of use to the actual clubs themself, as an RYA affiliated club is usually better in terms of managing to train people to a standard to which they can prove with those wee certificates people seem to be obsesed with. The RYA also comes in pretty hand in terms of the old RYA PY handicap scheme.  but as to your average sailor... i dont see much point really....

i have been known to be proved wrong tho!

C

Bennett View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Bennett Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Feb 05 at 4:28pm
Yep, I only joined the RYA because It told me I had to to attend Transition Training. It does help alot of clubs and people in the racing scene, squads etc but not sure how much it actually does for the average sailor?? It probably does and ive just not noticed? Discuss
Phil eltringham View Drop Down
Really should get out more

Post Options Post Options   Quote Phil eltringham Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Feb 05 at 7:20pm

Well I'm paying £81 for membership and boatparking this year at south shields which is pretty reasonable considering its a champion club. 

As for the RYA I think it is very easy to take it for granted but without it sailing in the UK would not be where it is.  Our olympic performances would be nowhere near what they have been, and the european and national governmets would have found even more ways of making our lives more difficult.  I say better the devil you know!!

FLAT IS FAST!
Shifts Happen
moomin View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Quote moomin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Feb 05 at 10:03am

Don't forget to the cost of life insurance,

Anyone else find the Tesco life insurance advertising banner at the top of the forum a little unnerving, "living life on the edge" you irresponsible fools you'd better protect the ones you love, "you're only worth £5 a month!" 

Moomin
hydrographer20 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote hydrographer20 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Feb 05 at 4:31pm
lol thats so true i work part time for tesco and im  happy to know that if i diw my family get just enough money so that they can go on holiday!
byte me!- GBR 814
sailor.jon View Drop Down
Far too distracted from work

Post Options Post Options   Quote sailor.jon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Feb 05 at 8:12pm
the fees at my club r as follows

One time Entrance Fee £30
Ordinary Membership £50
Family Membership £65
Student Membership £25
Junior Membership (no entry fee) £15
Associate Membership £15
Visitors (per outing) £2.50
Boat Registration £20
Boat Storage at Club £35
*GM* View Drop Down
Posting king
Posting king

Post Options Post Options   Quote *GM* Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Feb 05 at 11:26pm
Originally posted by Phil eltringham

Well I'm paying £81 for membership and boatparking this year at south shields which is pretty reasonable considering its a champion club. 

I think "pretty reasonable" is a bit of an understatement!

My club charges £55 membership plus £60 race fees.  And then the marina want £180 parking fee for the Stealth and another £135 for the eps.

Anyone wanna buy an eps?

sailor.jon View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote sailor.jon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Feb 05 at 8:09pm

think of how much it would cost to keep a keel boat in a marina,

at Royal Quays on the river Tyne where my dad keeps his boat the rates are:

For 12 Months - £186.00 per meter

visitors - Daily(minimum charge of £13.50) Charged for the first 5 days, 50% discount there after,       £1.85 rate/meter/day

Phil eltringham View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Phil eltringham Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Feb 05 at 9:23pm
St. Peters marina further up the tyne is cheaper than that I think, and the winter membership includes entry to their race series. 
FLAT IS FAST!
Shifts Happen
Wave Rider View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Wave Rider Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Feb 05 at 9:37pm

Loads of Championship clubs are very hard to get into i think because where is sail has a 1 year waiting list for membership places and the fee's are high !

Lucky i get junior membership really !

-[Franko]-
Chew Valley Lake Sailing Club
           RS600 933
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>