FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

PY Ratings for Boards?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
G.R.F. View Drop Down
Really should get out more

Online Status: Offline
Post Options Post Options   Quote G.R.F. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: PY Ratings for Boards?
    Posted: 13 Oct 08 at 12:53pm
I'm wondering if any of you have boards racing alongside the boats at
your respective clubs and if you have issued PY's for them.

I've got a list I'm drawing up and I'm hoping to get a Single Hander Night
going next season with Boards up against stuff like Lasers, Contenders,
MPS and whatever S/H I end up organising for myself.

I'm awaiting some data from Grafham where I know they do this, but the
more intel the better.

I also suspect we may have to split the rating, some boards react so very
differently on and off the plane, probably around 15 knots windspeed,
has this ever been suggested/tried boats like that V3000 for instance
acts very similarly to a sailboard due to its light weight and small wetted
footprint when it's windy.
Dan Vincent View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Quote Dan Vincent Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Oct 08 at 4:52pm

We had a pretty good sailor racing in the Stokes Bay Wed evening series on Formula kit.  He was getting used to the gear (ex-Bryony Shaw) which was prob 2-3 yrs old (don't know how much development there is in Formula), and sailed very different angles to us, but often ended up going around at the same pace as a Musto if given enough breeze to make it worthwhile. 

The potential speed will be much higher, I am sure once he has got it dialled,and there is more than 12 kts windspeed, he will  be nearer in speed to the Int Moth than the Mustos.

alstorer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote alstorer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Oct 08 at 8:57pm
As to the split PYs- I believe the US Sailing PY system does incorporate this, but it is fraught with difficulties. What windspeed do you use? Forecast? Average through the race? Minimum recorded? Speed at start? Speed at finish? Average of those two? Average of speeds recorded at set intervals through the race? Maximum gust? What if a race (and even hour-long races can fall foul of this) starts in a lovely force 4 and has dropped off by the finish to a force 1 drifter? Even on the sea the wind is not consistent.

The Return form does ask for an estimates of wind strength, and the RYA has expressed in the past a desire to issue differential PYs- for wind strength, and/or for different types of venue (the example of the latter split them into Lake/Reservoir, River, Harbour/Estuary and Open Sea), but also recognised that to do this well they needed more data.
Granite View Drop Down
Far too distracted from work
Far too distracted from work

Post Options Post Options   Quote Granite Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Oct 08 at 12:44pm
Have a look at the RYA site, they give instructions on calculating a club number for a boat that does not have a published handicap

http://www.rya.org.uk/KnowledgeBase/technical/Pages/pys.aspx

They even have an Excel spreadsheet that you can put your results into and use to calculate your handicap

http://www.rya.org.uk/assets/technical/Web%20Documents/2007% 20Portsmouth%20Yardstick%20Scheme/2007%20Results%20Worksheet %20v1.xls

It is very straight forward and easy to use.
If it doesn't break it's too heavy; if it does it wasn't built right
 Post Reply Post Reply